Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: DGTeam firmware: scripts, how to ?  (Read 20265 times)

Bert75

• Just arrived
DGTeam firmware: scripts, how to ?
« on: October 28, 2010, 11:04:40 PM »

Hi,
I'm sure it's trivial to do but I found nowhere any documentation on the excellent DGTeam firmwware.
I just need to run a simple command :
arp -s 192.168.2.10 aa:bb:cc:dd:ee
every time the router is up.

I know how to telnet to the router and I see the file system, so it should be easy ?
(but I am not sure the file system is writable)

Thanks in advance for any help !
Bert

BritBrat

• Kitizen
Re: DGTeam firmware: scripts, how to ?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 08:50:42 AM »

Can I ask what you are trying to do with the code?

I assume you are trying to assign the IP/MAC address of the router to the network, but I am just guessing.

wikipedia.org - Address Resolution Protocol

arp -s Adds the host and associates the Internet address inet_addr with the Physical address eth_addr. The Physical address is given as 6 hexadecimal bytes seperated by hyphens. The entry is permanent

http://www.computerhope.com/arphlp.htm

How ARP Works

Sorry, just interested in what you are trying to do.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 09:10:40 AM by BritBrat »

Bert75

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 10:17:49 PM »

I wish you told me how to add this command to the router start up sequence :-(
I just need a static association to my IP address because the arp tables gets quickly flushed when the PC is powered down, so the WOL magic packet has no chance to be routed to my physical port.
As far as I know, this is something you HAVE to do if you want to Wake On Wan.
(note that to workaround this, I have enabled the remote admin, and the DGTeam firmware has a WOL option which does _broadcast_ the magic packet).
Some other 3rd party firmwares allow the inclusion of a custom script from the Web gui.

adsb

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 01:08:53 PM »

I just need a static association to my IP address because the arp tables gets quickly flushed when the PC is powered down, so the WOL magic packet has no chance to be routed to my physical port.
I use Wake On Lan on the DG834GT.  From a remote location I connect to the WebUI of the router, and use the menu option to send the magic packet to the LAN broadcast address.  That wakes the appropriate PC up just fine, don't need the MAC address in the router's ARP table.

adsb

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 12:51:48 PM »

If you don't want to go via the WebUI, then you're right- you'll have to add a static arp entry.  As in another post, it depends on which version of the DGTeam firmware you're running.  Recent versions have a Custom Setup menu entry which leads you too a page where you can Enable router Startup (boot) custom script execution.

Zirynx

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 02:58:20 PM »

Hi,
I'm sure it's trivial to do but I found nowhere any documentation on the excellent DGTeam firmwware.
I just need to run a simple command :
arp -s 192.168.2.10 aa:bb:cc:dd:ee
every time the router is up.

I know how to telnet to the router and I see the file system, so it should be easy ?
(but I am not sure the file system is writable)

Thanks in advance for any help !
Bert

Hi Bert75,

Did you ever get an answer to your question? I am trying to do *exactly* the same thing.

I can telnet into the router and add the static 'arp' rule, which works fine. But I want/need to get this to work as a startup script in the router (I presume this lives in NVRAM?!) but do not know the syntax/format to use.

Would really appreciate any help from whomever knows how to achieve this!

Many thanks in advance.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 03:34:14 PM »

This was discussed on the DGTeam forums, but I didn't pay much attention at the time because it wasn't of any personal interest. But as far as I can recall, the latest versions of the DGTeam firmware had this capability added to them, so you could specify startup commands from within the web interface. Perhaps you just need to upgrade to the latest firmware. Sorry about the vagueness. :)
  Eric

Zirynx

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 03:44:30 PM »

Would really appreciate any help from whomever knows how to achieve this!

Ended up working this out myself... LOL! ;D

In case it's of any use to anyone else, here's the script I used:

Code: [Select]
#!/bin/bash
/bin/arp -s 192.168.0.254 ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

After discovering this post earlier today, I'm specifically using 192.168.0.254 and ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff because it appears to effectively be broadcast by the router which means I can now use WOL from outside the LAN and have the appropriate target box wake up based on MAC address and one simple firewall rule using 192.168.0.254 and *not* the LAN IP of the individual target box itself.

I now have WOL working across the internet and through my DG834Gv4 (wth DGTeam 1018 f/w) *exactly* how I want it to!  8)

Hope this summary is of some use to someone else and helps them get there faster than it's taken me!! ;D

« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 03:47:03 PM by Zirynx »

Zirynx

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 04:04:02 PM »

For clarity, here's the script content in a more readable font:

#!/bin/bash
/bin/arp -s 192.168.0.254 ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

Bert75

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 08:57:32 AM »

I'm still stuck, because I do not see the option I was looking for to enable a startup script.
(no such option as "Custom Setup" under "Advanced").
Guess I don't have the "right" DGTeam fw version :-(

Zirynx

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 09:23:50 AM »

What version of DGTeam firmware and which Netgear router do you have?

I'm using a DG834Gv4 with DGTeam 1018 (V5.01.16 - DGTeam Rev. 1018). I may be wrong but I don't believe the facility to add a custom startup script was available before version 1018.

In my setup, I have a 'Custom Setup' option which is available from the main left hand menu immediately below the 'Wake on Lan' menu option.

The Remote Admin/WOL option works, but for my requirements, I wanted to give 'trusted' parties the ability to wake machines without giving them full access to my router admin interface!!

It's now working a treat and reliably, with the script surviving a power-removed restart. 8)

Bert75

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 08:40:25 AM »

Hi,
- I have an old v1 router.
- I only have this firmware : V3.01.31 - DGTeam Rev. 0849
  which doesn't have the Custom setup option :-(
- The DGTeam forum is closed
- The DGTeam web download section only returns errors when one tries to download
So apparently I'm stuck.
If anyone has a more recent v1 or v1-v2 firmware, I'd be most grateful if it can be shared !
Thanks in advance,
Bert

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 09:52:28 AM »

You haven't actually said what router you have, but I presume it's a DG834v1. The latest DGTeam firmware is the one you have - v3.01.31. I think that, if you want more recent firmware with the latest features, you'll have to get a more up to date router.

By the way, there doesn't seem to be any problem downloading DGTeam firmware. I just tried it with a couple of different files, and they downloaded without errors.
  Eric

Zirynx

• Just arrived
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 10:41:11 AM »

By the way, there doesn't seem to be any problem downloading DGTeam firmware. I just tried it with a couple of different files, and they downloaded without errors.

There *is* a problem with the DGTeam site, if you try to download firmware using the links which flash "New" by the side (such as for the DG834Gv1-v2, as Bert75 would probably have done) then it results in a page showing "error!". I've heard that if you have an existing login to the site this doesn't happen but, as I don't have such a login (and new ones appear unavailable) I'm unable to check that.

Zirynx

• Just arrived
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 10:45:02 AM »

Hi,
- I have an old v1 router.
- I only have this firmware : V3.01.31 - DGTeam Rev. 0849
  which doesn't have the Custom setup option :-(
- The DGTeam forum is closed
- The DGTeam web download section only returns errors when one tries to download
So apparently I'm stuck.
If anyone has a more recent v1 or v1-v2 firmware, I'd be most grateful if it can be shared !
Thanks in advance,
Bert

Hi Bert75,

I see you're finally getting around to this then!  ;)

Essentially, you are a bit stuck in that you have the latest (available/reliable) firmware for the DG834Gv1 which, as you've discovered, doesn't support the 'Custom Setup' functionality.

If I were you, I'd try to pick up a used DG834Gv4 (definitely a v4!) from Fleabay. I've purchased a few over the last few months all for between £8-£15 excluding P&P. All depends how much you can 'wait' for the right auction at best price :-)

Always worth confirming with the seller that it's a v4 though.

Good luck!
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything