Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sunday Soundings 17th.  (Read 1147 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Sunday Soundings 17th.
« on: October 17, 2010, 08:03:01 AM »

Good morning, and I hope all are well.  ;D

Yesterday and today we woke up to a very hard frost and, like yesterday, it looks as if we are in for a bright, sunny day albeit rather cold.

Had a trundle about yesterday and sat on a log by the riverbank watching a kingfisher going about it's business......and also watching the skies which were full of long skeins of geese flying south, and I could hear them honking away all night as they flew over. There must be thousands of them on the move.

Relaxing, pottering and trundling today.

Enjoy whatever you are all getting up to.  :)

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
Re: Sunday Soundings 17th.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 08:20:41 AM »

Good Morning TD, I'm feeling quite well at the moment thank you. I trust you and everyone else feels the same.

Cold start to the day, much like yours is TD but not quite as cold. By the sound of it you live in a beautiful place, apart from the cold. I mean from a wildlife and nature point of view. I remember your water troubles last winter. I hope you don't have this same this winter. Apart from that it seems like you can step out of your door into a nature paradise.

Whilst I am not in the middle of a load of houses and the front view looks over a field and a valley beyond it still has a motorway running through it. The field is private so not for trundling in. To get to anything like the naturalist views the you seem to enjoy requires a vehicle journey, albeit in half an hour I can be in the countryside. I'm nearly as green as the grass with envy.

Not much arranged for today, but no doubt something will turn up to keep me occupied.

Enjoy your day everybody.
Colin No.2
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 08:38:08 AM »

Good morning TD, SS and anyone else who joins the party. :)

You're making me shiver TD, talking about frosts. Down here in the soft south-east we don't expect frost just yet, but it's definitely got quite a bit colder in the last couple of days.

The kingfisher makes me slightly envious. They're beautiful birds, and watching them is one of life's great pleasures. I was once honoured by a visit by a kingfisher to my garden. It perched on the shed roof, and from time to time flew down to the pond and grabbed a goldfish for a snack. ;D

The flights of geese are another magnificent sight. This is the time of year when thousands of them fly south from Iceland, and there's something really impressive about the way they fly in formation, like an RAF squadron on exercise.

We've been enjoying some (more or less) wildlife too. Near here there's a deer park which is rather awkward to get to and private, but there's a public footpath right through the middle of it, and it's a lovely place to visit, and doesn't get many visitors because of its inaccessibility. As well as the fallow deer there are also large numbers of pheasants, rabbits and other wildlife. There are a couple of small lakes as well. It's the sort of place I could happily spend all day in.

Have a good day everyone. :)
  Eric

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 10:38:37 AM »

The geese flying South are coming to Slimbridge near us!  As for the frost - we had a heavy frost last night too - and we are darn sarf!

Crisp days means fewer coughs and colds as the germs are killed off, and so here's to good health   :drink:

A day pottering in the fields I think - Maisie has cabin fever, and is urging me to go!

Colin

scottiesmum

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 10:54:40 AM »

'Allo 'Allo   TD, Colin II and Eric  ...  anyone for    ;D    A lovely morning here albeit cooler but no frost  :o    ....  we don't get many and when we do it's a heck of a shock !   

Well it's very quiet here this morning  ......   I took my brother and sister-in-law  to the airport last evening, following a lovely week.  We all enjoyed it immensely and whilst we didn't 'do' a great many things, we simply enjoyed being together...... and an added bonus for them,  they went home very bronzed  8)     

What a lovely sight, the kingfisher, TD .  We've been watching all the kestrels and buzzards that have been hunting over the vineyards now that the harvest has disturbed   the small wildlife; it's disturbed the mosquitoes too   :'(

Enjoy your day everyone   .... :)

Oooops    ... nearly collided Colin .......  'Allo 'Allo !