Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Broadband problems  (Read 2839 times)

swampiesue

Broadband problems
« on: October 19, 2010, 01:10:48 PM »

Hi there,

I have been experiencing a very slow broadband speeds over the past couple of days, so did a a speed test....i have tested both on my laptop and computer... and the result is more or less the same.

BT test results this morning were... Configured download speed..50-250 for my connection.  

DSL Rate 2048 down up 448...

IP PROFILE 135 kbps......

I have done al the usual checks virus scans, connection via Ethernet, looked at wiring...unplugging home hub.. I tried to test the socket but because I have a replacement NET5 with built in ADSL filter the only way I could do it was to use a filter plugged into the phone part of the socket but it would not work. This socket ( the main socket) is then  fed through another internal wall from the dining room to the living room to a ASDL extension. When I the plugged the Home hub back the extension it worked but then the home hub broadband light kept going orange and I lost connection.   I  Rang BT who told me to unscrew the front plate which I have done  but the only way I can have my phone as well as the broadband is to again use a filter.... is that  OK. :-\  They are monitoring my line over the next 24 hours....but said, BT is having some  speed issues..... The broadband hub seems to be staying on at the moment..any Ideas, as where the fault seems to be. :(

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Broadband problems
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 01:17:54 PM »

I  Rang BT who told me to unscrew the front plate which I have done  but the only way I can have my phone as well as the broadband is to again use a filter.... is that  OK

Hi,

Yes its fine,I have had a filter plugged into the test socket for 3 years,I never bother taking it out. :)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 01:24:06 PM »

Hi Swampiesue,

It's also worth doing the occasional 17070 option 2 quiet line test.
The line should be silent at all times, except when the lady says this is the quiet line test.

Kind regards,
Walter

swampiesue

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 08:04:56 AM »

Thanks both of you  your replies were are much appreciated :) :) :)

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 08:10:25 AM »

>> The line should be silent at all times, except when the lady says this is the quiet line test.
Why is that then?
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 08:32:09 AM »

When I do 17070 I put it on speaker but a word of warning do not have ear next to speaker when the woman say's:

Quiet line test Ouch !!

I do then hear very slight noise but it would really show up if there was a line noise problem.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 06:58:06 PM »

Hi
quote DSL Rate 2048 down up 448...

IP PROFILE 135 kbps......

So your connection rate is 2048Kbps  but the profile is showing only 135Kbps>with that your throughput will be very low  . Looks like you had some connection problem to have that low profile. You don't show the actual Throughput figures .

Eventually your profile should catch up with your synch rate . Should take <3 days if your connection remains stable .  You should then see an improvement with the throughput. Could you post your your line stats . this will help with any troubleshooting  .
zen user

swampiesue

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 05:19:25 PM »

Hi there... there was a fault on the line.... it is OK now :) till the next time ;)