Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DG834 v2 running DGteam firmware - can I do better?  (Read 4689 times)

emmak

• Just arrived
DG834 v2 running DGteam firmware - can I do better?
« on: September 05, 2010, 09:31:41 PM »

I've been using a billion BIPAC 7402NX but am experiencing wireless dropouts, so experimentally went back to my DG834 v2 with airport for wireless and am consistently getting better speeds. Really like the DGteam firmware, all is well - is it worth upgrading to a DG834GT off ebay with the latest DGteam firmware for that router? We're talking £20 obviously which is fine for a punt, but there's routinely 4-5 computers plus siesta flow wifi radio and ps3 hanging off this router...

Am I likely to see any improvement? Rock solid connection really but download speed dropped through the floor today when a big upload (legal video) was underway - suspect the billion handled such traffic better, but overall performance isn't as good as the netgear, sad to say, at least for me.

This other thread details where I'm at in terms of speed - sorry to hog the board

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,7933.0.html

Given I'm on a short line and Apple airport will be handing the Wifi, would I be best with a DG834 as weaver says elsewhere?

" I would and do prefer to use the Broadcom-based v4s on all short lines, even if they are only ADSL1 not ADSL2/ADSL2+."
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 09:56:35 PM by emmak »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: DG834 v2 running DGteam firmware - can I do better?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 07:26:04 AM »

The reason your download speed dropped a lot when you were doing a big upload is that the upload would have saturated the upstream part of the connection. Downloads need a small amount of upload capacity for sending acknowledgements, and these will be delayed if the upstream is saturated. This is normal behaviour with ADSL and changing your router won't stop it happening.

As you have several users connected to the router, you might somewhat improve the smoothness of your system by using a router which supports QoS. This would enable you to allocate bandwidth to each user so that each one gets a fair share instead of simply grabbing what they can. But nothing is going to change the overall speed of your system, because that's already as high as it can be on ADSL Max.
  Eric

emmak

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 07:45:36 AM »

Thanks for that - quite enjoying playing with the routers though...

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 09:09:19 AM »

Hi Emma,

But don't change things too often and always power down the router before disconnecting the RJ 11 modem cable.

Kind regards,
Walter

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 10:36:07 AM »

Priority is given to upload speed so if you max out upload speed download will be slow.

Never let upload be more than 80% of its maximum speed leaving 20% free.

It is a basic error when people start using torrents with fast connections and lots of peers.