Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Bittorrent wifi disconnections with DG834GT  (Read 3844 times)

Manny-77

• Just arrived
Bittorrent wifi disconnections with DG834GT
« on: August 30, 2010, 01:46:28 PM »

Hello, this is my first post. :)

I have this router with  this firmware:   V1.03.22 - DGTeam Rev. 1018

Using utorrent and tixati I have a problem downloading torrents: wifi disconnections after 5 - 10 mins. Very annoying!

I have to restore connection every time...

I lowered maximum peer connection per transfert to 30 and maximum concurrent outgoin connection attempts to 3 but no luck...always wifi disconnects.  :(

Someone has the same problem or solved it?

Thanks in advance

Mick

• Reg Member
Re: Bittorrent wifi disconnections with DG834GT
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 02:18:05 PM »

Your unreliable wifi connection and the bittorrent application you mention are two unrelated (in terms of assumed causality) issues.
Your wifi drops because there is something amiss between your wireless access point (your router) and the wireless card in your PC.

This is a long topic to cover without additional information.  You are not telling us if this wifi unreliability is only happening with the DGTeam firmware that you are now using, or when it started, etc.

As a first step you may want to try using vanilla Netgear firmware on the router in case this is a bug of the DGTeam version, update the wireless card driver with the latest stable version for your PC (but download this from the card's manufacturer's website), try setting the router to transmit at different channels (1, 6, 9 & 11) in case one of them performs better than others and report back you results.

HTH.
Regards,
Mick

Manny-77

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 02:48:19 PM »

thank you for your interesting reply mick!

Your unreliable wifi connection and the bittorrent application you mention are two unrelated (in terms of assumed causality) issues.
Your wifi drops because there is something amiss between your wireless access point (your router) and the wireless card in your PC.

...i have optimal signal strenght on my pc and these connection drops happens only when i use bittorrent...

You are not telling us if this wifi unreliability is only happening with the DGTeam firmware that you are now using, or when it started, etc

I dont know if the problem happens in official firmware because i'm using dgteam firmware from long time, before i start using bittorrent...maybe I can try to flash my router with official fw then...

As a first step you may want to try using vanilla Netgear firmware on the router in case this is a bug of the DGTeam version, update the wireless card driver with the latest stable version for your PC (but download this from the card's manufacturer's website), try setting the router to transmit at different channels (1, 6, 9 & 11) in case one of them performs better than others and report back you results.

i thought that wifi card in my pc may be the cause of this problem. but it is already updated with latest drivers... it is dlink DWL-G510.
I already tried to use every channel but i've chosen the one that performs better...

What is vanilla netgear firmware? i could try that...never heard before...
I like dgteam fw beacause of snr percentage option to increase my line performance...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 02:50:38 PM by Manny-77 »

Mick

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 04:14:13 PM »

...i have optimal signal strenght on my pc and these connection drops happens only when i use bittorrent...

Sure, but the dropped connection may be also happen with a strong signal, if the cause of failure is not signal weakness.

Are you sure that it does not happen at other times?  What happens when you upload/download some large file to/from a server?

I dont know if the problem happens in official firmware because i'm using dgteam firmware from long time, before i start using bittorrent...maybe I can try to flash my router with official fw then...

All I'm saying is that if the DGTeam firmware is suspect, then change the firmware with your router's OEM latest firmware and see if the problem persists.

i thought that wifi card in my pc may be the cause of this problem. but it is already updated with latest drivers... it is dlink DWL-G510.

I assume that you are using this page for your driver?  That's probably not the manufacturer of the chipset in your card.  Without looking at the card I wouldn't know which one it is, googling suggests that it may a raylink chipset and if this is true then a driver for it could be found here: http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php  You better take it out and look at the chip on it.

I already tried to use every channel but i've chosen the one that performs better...

Which is ...?

Are there any other access points in your vicinity that are using the same channels?

What is vanilla netgear firmware? i could try that...never heard before...

Sorry, by vanilla I meant the Netgear firmware, the latest version that the manufacturer recommends.  Again, I'm trying to isolate the error and if it does not occur with the original router firmware then the problem is the version of the DGTeam firmware you're using.
Regards,
Mick

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 04:36:25 PM »

That version of the DGteam firmware has known bugs but not sure if the wirless problem is one of them, like has already been said test with a Netgear firmware.

Also turn off loging in the router on the ports used for bittorent.

A number of us here have gone back to older versions of the DGTeam firmware myself I am on version 12.

Have a look here at what others have said:
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,6953.45.html
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 04:45:33 PM by BritBrat »

Manny-77

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 04:52:39 PM »

Thank you very much for your patience Mick!

now I'l try to investigate the problem through your hints.

hope to find a solution soon... ;)

BritBrat:

That version of the DGteam firmware has known bugs but not sure if the wirless problem is one of them, like has already been said test with a Netgear firmware.

Also turn off loging in the router on the ports used for bittorent.

A number of us here have gone back to older versions of the DGTeam firmware myself I am on version 12.

Have a look here at what others have said:
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,6953.45.html

Very interesting...thanks for the info!  ;D
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 04:57:51 PM by Manny-77 »

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 11:06:46 PM »

Hi

Could you possibly try using the ethernet cable  rather than the Wireless ,just to prove if its the wireless problem? o, Bit torrent or some other problem.

Regards Jeff
zen user

anything