Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Can I use a Thomson TG585 v7 wireless router with a talk talk account?  (Read 10413 times)

cerisehippo

• Just arrived

Hi,
I have been given a Thomson TG585 v7 wireless router that was used with a Tiscali account. I want to use it with a Talk Talk account. I can't get it to work. I have been told that it may be 'locked' to the Tiscali ISP. Is there a method to unlock it? I've tried using an ethernet cable and it asks for user id and password. I've used Administrator and blank password and also the serial number as password, neither is recognised. I've tried wirelessly connecting and that does not work (though I'm not sure I have been given the correct WEP key). Is it worth me trying anything else? Seems a shame not to be able to reuse it. I haven't got a huge technical background so keep it simple for me!

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
Re: Can I use a Thomson TG585 v7 wireless router with a talk talk account?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 12:03:22 PM »

Hi,
Have you tried doing a hardware reset first?
With it switched on.
Push a pen or paperclip into the recessed Reset button. Push it until the Power LED shows red - takes about 7 seconds.
Release.
It should restart.
The manual says that physical reset might have been disabled. (That's really helpful!).

Manual on this page: http://www.thomsonbroadbandpartner.com/dsl-modems-gateways/products/product-detail.php?id=161 at this entry http://www.thomsonbroadbandpartner.com/getfile.php?id=5349

Default User name is Administrator (case sensitive)
Default Password - blank - don't enter anything.

Keep us posted as to results. Good luck,
Peter

cerisehippo

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 06:23:53 PM »

Thanks for the help. I hardware reset the router. I connected via ethernet. The Administrator user with a blank password then worked. I could then access the router using 192.168.1.254. I had to use the talk talk broadband user name (eg 01919999999@talktalk.net) and password (eg a1j5g2u4) to register the router with talk talk.  I found the WPA key on the router which then allowed me to access the router wirelessly. Now I'm up and working and I can change my Talk talk account to the Essentials package and get half price £3.49 for the first 6 months because I dont need a wireless router from Talk talk!

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 10:12:22 AM »

An excellent result!