Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Effect of Ring Wire removal  (Read 2746 times)

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
Effect of Ring Wire removal
« on: July 01, 2010, 10:56:40 AM »

Hiya gang, and please accept my apologies if this is explained elsewhere on the forums, but....

I have a pretty good phone line which permits me to sync at the full 8Mbps (32dB atten) on Plusnet. I am curious as to what effect the removal of the ring wire from my NTE box might have, is it likely to be noticeable in any way or have the effect of reducing such things as CRC errors as reported by the router, or Errored Seconds.  My current connection has been active for a little over 8 full days and according to the router there have been 5371 CRC errors and 3164 Error Seconds in that time. Is that good, bad or not too shabby ?

Main reason for asking is that in the next couple of weeks I am upgrading my service to Plusnet Extra (Up to 20Mbps - yeah, right !!!) and would like to try and minimize any potential problems in the switch to the new product. I have been told and confirmed on this excellent site that I might get up to 14Mbps - but we'll have to wait and see about that.

Any comments  would be most welcome

Thanks

toulouse

Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
Re: Effect of Ring Wire removal
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 11:38:27 AM »

Hello toulouse. I think the effect of disconnecting the ring wire has been mentioned a few times, just a few though. However it may be worth your while disconnecting the said wire as any degradation of signal is a bad thing. Any reduction in errors is bound to affect the throughput, especially crc errors as each crc error requires a re-send of the data unless I'm mistaken.
No doubt there will be someone along that will have more to say, and put me right if I have said something wrong.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 12:49:00 PM »

@ Toulouse,

I agree with SS that the reduction in errors is a good thing so removal of the ring wire is always worth doing, although it may only have a very small effect or it could make quite a difference.
You don't know until you've tried it, but as there's no disadvantage in removal, it's well worth the trouble. A short screened RJ11 connected via a filter into the master socket is also a good idea.

http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catalog/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=uie91t8dfr8b4kq808ns1srs10

If you put 32 dB into Kitz's checker at

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

you'll see you may be a tad optimistic.

I would also do a 17070 option 2 Quiet Line Test and option 1 to observe any new errors when a call is being made. These would be classed as phone faults and if necessary they should be reported to your phone provider.

Kind regards,
Walter

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 12:54:22 PM »

I am upgrading my service to Plusnet Extra (Up to 20Mbps - yeah, right !!!)
Attenuation is usually a bit higher on ADSL2+ but you COULD get a fair bit (50%?) more than your current 8mbps.

YES, do everything you can to optimise your wiring before switching to ADSL2+, you'll reap the rewards later.
Remember, BT's bar-steward-ised DLM system sets all it's thresholds in the first few days so you only get one chance to have your line's potential recognised accurately.

anything