Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: ADSL issues - DG834GT & Billion BiPac 5200GRC  (Read 12478 times)

torqpoc

• Reg Member
  • I loved the 80s!
Re: ADSL issues - DG834GT & Billion BiPac 5200GRC
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2010, 05:35:36 PM »

Alriiiiighty then,

So first off, it's fixed!!

The awesome BTOpenreach engineer came back out that same day and got a colleague out too. They redid the entire pole to master socket run. After some more testing he checked the ohm thingy and it jumped from 4 to 117! There definately were issues there. Sadly this didn't fix the problem, but did improve the line and jitter enormously.

He notified me that the last thing required was a lift and shift (again). He really didn't think one had been done at all, so he put that through. UKOnline confirmed that request and today I came home to a card, from the engineer (gobsmacked!) telling me it had been done.

Sadly it seems he had also managed to cut everything off, no phone and no adsl so I called him (he'd given me his work mobile number) and he sent a colleague to the green cabinet to check/fix. 20 minutes later, ADSL/Phone and NO cut outs when I answer the inbound call.

If I knew how to give this guy the strongest recommendation I could within OpenReach I would, does anybody know if/how I could?

I wanted to say a huge thank you to the Kitizens for all their advice and assistance with this. Without that help I think I would have given up a long time ago.

My deepest respects,
T
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 07:46:58 PM by torqpoc »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2010, 06:34:13 PM »

Great result! :thumbs:
  Eric

torqpoc

• Reg Member
  • I loved the 80s!
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2010, 11:40:34 AM »

Apologies for this quick last question on this issue. Currently my line stats are:
ADSL Link     Downstream     Upstream
Connection Speed    4800 kbps    832 kbps
Line Attenuation    45.0 db    22.5 db
Noise Margin    17.9 db    8.0 db

The DLM has gone into a flap because the connection has been up and down like a yo-yo with all the fixing. I wanted to know, what is the best thing to do in this case?
1) Contact UKOnline and ask for the stabalisation period to be restarted?
2) Use routerstats to change the target SnR?
3) Wait? Patience is not my strongest point mind...

Cheers,
T

torqpoc

• Reg Member
  • I loved the 80s!
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2010, 10:25:29 AM »

Hello,
As I said, i'm not the most patient. I called UKOnline and they have raised yet another fault with BT to get the target SnR reduced to 6db.

I was actually shocked this time when I called them as the guy on the end of the phone didn't seem to know what the DLM was, or what target SnR meant, or about the MSR, or the 10 day stabalisation period... ho hum.

Fingers crossed my connection will go back to it's full potential.. otherwise i'm going to routerstats it!

Cheers,
T

torqpoc

• Reg Member
  • I loved the 80s!
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2010, 07:28:49 PM »

Hello yet again,
I have finally managed to get UKOnline to ask for my target SnR to be reset to 6db.
Ive noticed that there seems to be errors now climbing up and up on the line, routerstats screenshots attached. Is this ok, or do I need to get the line to sync a bit slower? I'm particularly concerned with the climbing ES..I reset the stats on the telnet router page to show 1minutes worth of data.

Thank you and i'm sorry to keep going on about this issue..

Cheers,
T
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 05:12:31 PM by torqpoc »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2010, 01:26:44 PM »

The rate at which the ES value is increasing is certainly a bit high, but you're really doing extremely well to get a connection rate of 8128 kbps with an attenuation of 45 dB. The max speed calculator suggests best speeds a lot less than that.

I think that your best option is simply to let the connection find its own stable level, leaving the router connected all the time, rather than to artificially try to tweak it. But if it continues to hold up at the present speed, then it might be a good idea to force a reboot late at night when the noise margin will probably be at its lowest, and this should result in a slower and more stable connection speed.

By the way, I don't think that the CRC errors are of any particular concern. I rather think that these are cumulative, and don't get reset to zero when you reboot the router.
  Eric

torqpoc

• Reg Member
  • I loved the 80s!
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2010, 05:05:47 PM »

Hello Eric,
Thank you very much sir! I will do as you suggest, strangely enough I just came home to a tripped circuit, so everything was off, however I had let routerstats run all night and collected a ton of data which showed the line dropped to 3.5db overnight but stayed connected.

I also agree the line is syncing at incredible rates for the attenuation, but i'm not going to quibble that point  :)

Thanks again for taking the time to look at this for me, hopefully everything will now stabalise and i'll be a happy bunny.. well once the mrs is well that is.

Cheers,
T

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2010, 05:45:27 PM »

Hi
quote .I don't think that the CRC errors are of any particular concern.

They do reset on both my dg834g v4 and the gt . But only on a full reboot not just a lost connection.
Regards Jeff
zen user
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything