Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: My new 2Wire 2700HGV - no tones beyond 256?  (Read 6231 times)

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
My new 2Wire 2700HGV - no tones beyond 256?
« on: June 04, 2010, 11:01:26 PM »

Hi,
I just installed my new 2Wire BT2700HGV following Walter's enthusings.
Connects OK with my ISP - ADSL24/C&W/Murphx LLU "up to 24Mbps" ADSL2+.

Performance according to speedtest.net seems similar to my Thomson ST546v6.
http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=B02&THISPAGE=B01&NEXTPAGE=B02 gives;
Code: [Select]
DSL Connection Details
DSL Line (Wire Pair): Line 1 (inner pair)
Protocol: G.DMT Annex A
Downstream Rate: 6112 kbps
Upstream Rate: 960 kbps
Channel: Fast
Current Noise Margin: 8.0 dB (Downstream), 6.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 36.5 dB (Downstream), 19.5 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 19.7 dBm (Downstream), 12.1 dBm (Upstream)
DSLAM Vendor Information: Country: {0xB5} Vendor: {50 00 00 00} Specific: {0x00}
PVC Info: 0/38

But - I don't understand the bitloading chart @ http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=J42&THISPAGE=J17&NEXTPAGE=J42
It only goes up to tone 256. The Thomson goes up to 512 - http://pgg999.co.uk/stats/st546.bitloading.html
Am I missing out on lots of tones and bits and speed, or is the display just wrong?

Also, the Thomson reports Modulation:   G.992.5 annex A
Why is the 2700HGV showing Protocol:    G.DMT Annex A?
Are they equivalent?
I don't see anywhere to set this so I assume it comes from the DSLAM.

Bitloading

| | ||                                           |               |                                                                                                                                                                                
            |||||||||||||                                ||||||| ||||     ||||||||||||                                                                                                                                                                          
          ||||||||||||||||                | || ||||||||||||||||| ||||||  |||||||||||||||| || |    |||||||||||||||||||||  |                                                                                                                                      
          ||||||||||||||||||         | | ||||| ||||||||||||||||| |||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||    ||||||||||||||||||||| ||||| ||    ||||||||                                                                                                                    
         ||||||||||||||||||||        ||||||||| ||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||   |||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||  ||||||||||||||||||| |||||  |   | | |                                                                                        
        ||||||||||||||||||||||       ||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||  ||||||||||||||||||| |||||  ||| ||| | | |||            |                                                                      
        |||||||||||||||||||||||      ||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||| |      ||| | |                                                                    
       ||||||||||||||||||||||||      ||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||     ||| ||||    | |||                                                          
      |||||||||||||||||||||||||      ||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||  |||||||||||   |||||||                          ||||   |   |  ||              
      |||||||||||||||||||||||||      ||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||  |||||||||||  ||||||||  ||  |          |||||| |||||||||||| | |||              
      |||||||||||||||||||||||||      ||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||  |||||||||||  ||||||||  ||  |          |||||| |||||||||||| | ||||    |        
      |||||||||||||||||||||||||      ||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |       |||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||      
      |||||||||||||||||||||||||      ||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |       |||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||      
0000005689BBCCDCDCDDCCCCCBAA987000000A9A9ABABB8BBBBBBBBBBCCCCCCD0CCCCBB9ABCCCCCDCCCCCCBBBABBAB8489BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB8ABAAA9AA9679AAAAAAAA99999999997999996798879897978788847652255777586765224656665522442240200000002444444244555544454425245532022322000000
|               |               |               |               |               |               |               |               |               |               |               |               |               |               |               |               |
0               16              32              48              64              80              96             112             128             144             160             176             192             208             224             240             256

And I just noticed this listing at the top of: http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=J42&THISPAGE=J17&NEXTPAGE=J42
General Information
DSLAM: Country: {0xB5} Vendor: {50 00 00 00} Specific: {0x00}
Downstream Rate Cap: 8128 kbps
Downstream Atten. at 300kHz: 32.1 dB
Uncancelled Echo: -12.5 dB Ok
VCXO Frequency Offset: -10.2 ppm Ok
Final Rx Gain: 22.4 dB Ok
Impulse Noise Comp. Tones: 0 Ok
Excessive Impulse Noise: 0 Ok
Impulse noise protection: 0.00
Delay of latency path: 0.25 ms

I'm supposed to be on an "up to 24Mbps" LLU.
But I see this information: Downstream Rate Cap:    8128 kbps
Seems the rate cap indicates that I'm only getting 8Mbps not 24Mbps !?

Cheers,
Peter
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 11:36:38 PM by geep »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: My new 2Wire 2700HGV - no tones beyond 256?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 07:27:17 AM »

There seems to be a problem with your connection, because it's considerably underperforming compared to what you should get with your levels of attenuation. There may or may not be a cap, but that isn't what's limiting your speed, because you're only connecting at 6112 kbps, and the noise margins aren't very high. If you plug your downstream attenuation into the Kitz maximum speed calculator you'll see that you could be getting 11Mbps or more.

So I think that, before you worry about bitloading or possible caps, you ought to troubleshoot your connection and this may solve the other issues anyway.
  Eric

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 09:11:45 AM »

Hi Geep,

I agree with Eric that it will be better to investigate your line first.

Here are a couple of observations once you've improved matters.

It would be helpful to know which firmware version you're using.
The Rate Cap can start high but seems to go through a DLM type process and will select the maximum practical speed.
If you look at the first attachment at:-

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,6960.msg152545.html#msg152545

you'll see the rate cap starts at 16004 but later on it reduced to 8192 as that speed is still far more than the line can support.
The "mode" in the diagnostic data correctly shows G.DMT2+ Annex A for the O2 service so I'd look there for a confirmation of the actual modulation.
However I do wonder if your line has been incorrectly specified as you'll see the O2 one does show all the tones, even though the highest one is only 103.

Kind regards,
Walter

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 09:32:31 AM »

I rewired from the master socket and removed the bell wire months ago.
I confess that I haven't tried connecting directly to the test socket, maybe I need to try it, but it's difficult to get at. Accessing it will get me into Mrs's bad books.
If I am allowed to try the master socket then I'll have to use ethernet powerline adapters to get the signal from the modem to the PC..
Yesterday I tried the 2-Wire for the first time during the noisy evening - line always drops from about 9 to about 7 dB SNR Margin.
The Software Version of BT2700HGV: 4.25.23. Serial Number:     1706xxxxxxxx.
Today I have restarted it - about 08h45 - and get very different results.
From: http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=B02&THISPAGE=B01&NEXTPAGE=B02

.DSL Connection Details
Protocol: G.DMT2+ Annex A
Downstream Rate: 7601 kbps
Upstream Rate: 1016 kbps
Channel: Interleaved
Current Noise Margin: 8.9 dB (Downstream), 6.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 38.9 dB (Downstream), 18.5 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 18.2 dBm (Downstream), -31.0 dBm (Upstream)
DSLAM Vendor Information: Country: {0xB5} Vendor: {50 00 00 00} Specific: {0x00}
PVC Info: 0/38

The protocol has changed from G.DMT Annex A to G.DMT2+ Annex A
The speeds are higher and there is a strange negative value: Current Output Power:     18.2 dBm (Downstream), -31.0 dBm (Upstream

Bitloading now through to 512, and looks similar to my ST546 - http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=J42&THISPAGE=J17&NEXTPAGE=J42

Bitloading

||||||||||||                 ||||| ||||||||||||||||| |||    | |   |                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
          ||||||||||||||||             ||||||| ||||||||||||||||| |||| | ||||||||||||||||                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
          |||||||||||||||||          ||||||||| ||||||||||||||||| |||||| ||||||||||||||||||||      |||||||||||||||||||    ||||                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
         |||||||||||||||||||        |||||||||| ||||||||||||||||| |||||| |||||||||||||||||||||    |||||||||||||||||||||  ||||||||    ||||||||   |                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
        |||||||||||||||||||||    ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||  |||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||  |||||||||||||||||||||||||  ||  ||||                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
        ||||||||||||||||||||||   ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||  ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||| ||||| | |||                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
        |||||||||||||||||||||||  ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||      ||| ||       ||||||||                           ||||| |                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
       ||||||||||||||||||||||||  ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||     |||||||     |||||||||||                       ||||||||||  | ||| |                 |||                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
      |||||||||||||||||||||||||  ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||  ||||||||||  | |||||||||||||           |||||    |||||||||||  ||||| ||||           ||||||| | ||||                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
      |||||||||||||||||||||||||  ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||  ||||||||||  ||||||||||||||||        |||||||| |||||||||||||  |||||||||||        ||||||||||||||||||               ||||||||||   ||||| |||                                                                                                                                                                                                       
      |||||||||||||||||||||||||  ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||  ||||||||||  ||||||||||||||||        |||||||| |||||||||||||| |||||||||||        |||||||||||||||||||            | ||||||||||   ||||| |||                                                                                                                                                                                                       
      |||||||||||||||||||||||||  |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||      |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||      ||||||||||||||||||||  ||   || |||||||||||||||| ||||||||||   || |||||||   || ||               |||||  ||   ||| ||||||||||| |                                                                                                                                     
      |||||||||||||||||||||||||  |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||      |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||      ||||||||||||||||||||  ||   || |||||||||||||||| ||||||||||   || |||||||   || ||               |||||  ||   ||| ||||||||||| |                                                                                                                                     
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
|               |               |               |               |               |               |               |               |               |               |               |               |               |               |               |               |               |               |               |               |               |               |               |               |               |               |               |               |               |               |               |               |
0               16              32              48              64              80              96             112             128             144             160             176             192             208             224             240             256             272             288             304             320             336             352             368             384             400             416             432             448             464             480             496             512

The rate cap has changed from 8 to 24 Mbps - http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=J42&THISPAGE=J17&NEXTPAGE=J42
General Information
DSLAM: Country: {0xB5} Vendor: {50 00 00 00} Specific: {0x00}
Downstream Rate Cap: 24000 kbps
Downstream Atten. at 300kHz: 30.8 dB
Uncancelled Echo: -15.0 dB Ok
VCXO Frequency Offset: -10.3 ppm Ok
Final Rx Gain: 23.2 dB Ok
Impulse Noise Comp. Tones: 0 Ok
Excessive Impulse Noise: 0 Ok
Impulse noise protection: 0.39
Delay of latency path: 8.37 ms
Training History
Downstream Upstream
Time Line Rate Max1 Max2 Max3 Mgn1 Mgn2 Attn Pwr CRCs FECs INP DLY Rate Max Mgn Attn Pwr CRCs FECs Mode Vendor State Exit Code Echo VCXO Rx Gain INC Tones
2010/06/05 08:48:09 BST 1 0 0 0 0 0.0 0.0 38.9 0.0 0 0 0.00 0.00 0 0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0 0 G.DMT2+ Annex A Unknown 211/89 ERR_ALL_OPTIONS_FAIL -15.7 -10.4 23.2 0
2010/06/05 09:08:53 BST 1 7601 7121 7097 7097 9.0 9.0 38.9 18.1 3 62 0.39 8.37 1016 1016 6.0 18.5 -214748360.0 0 0 G.DMT2+ Annex A Unknown 229/103 N/A -15.0 -10.3 23.2 0

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 09:37:19 AM »

Looking at all that you originally sync'ed at ADSL1, more recently ADSL2+.
That explains the missing tones on the first connection.

What changed to make the difference - any ideas? Maybe it's just the DSLAM not liking the line much the first time, or an incorrect ADSL setting in your router?

The speed is "OK-ish" considering it's a 9dB margin.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 10:27:31 AM by HPsauce »

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 09:45:55 AM »

It's ADSL24/C&W/Murphx LLU not O2.
The difference, for me, is that I first connected in the evening noise. Reconnected in the quiet morning.
I didn't change anything in the router setup.
I did also notice that yesterday the ping in the speedtest was a bit faster, and I was connected Fastpath. Today Interleaved.
Prefer Interleaved - stability is important. http://pgg999.co.uk/stats/speedtest.net.results.html
From these figures is it really worth incurring the wrath of Mrs by connecting to the master socket?

Cheers, Peter
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 09:49:09 AM by geep »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 10:03:12 AM »

Hi again Peter,

It's good to see the modem is now connected in the correct mode.
I think I'd take several more sets of readings over a few days first, just to get a feel for how it performs in different noise conditions.
Then perhaps a shopping trip to Paris with one of her friends ? !!!!!!!!!!

(I see your last data capture picture has moved data in the bottom line.)

Kind regards,
Walter

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 10:30:33 AM »

It's ADSL24/C&W/Murphx LLU not O2.
The difference, for me, is that I first connected in the evening noise. Reconnected in the quiet morning.
Misunderstood, corrected.  ;)
ADSL2+ can be sensitive to interference and "drop" to a stabler mode if it has trouble sync'ing so that makes sense.
Much interference is due to the home in one way or another so, as recommended, getting to the Test Socket is important.

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 11:42:14 AM »

Ta all for comments. Am now trying to get RouterStats running and adapting my own logging software..
@Walter - "moved data on bottom line" - you mean it looks a bit odd?
There is a problem with copy & paste - probably tab characters.
The negative number is actually Upstream Pwr.
Cheers, Peter
Downstream  Upstream
Time Line Rate Max1 Max2 Max3 Mgn1 Mgn2 Attn Pwr CRCs FECs INP DLY Rate Max Mgn Attn Pwr CRCs FECs Mode Vendor State Exit Code Echo VCXO Rx Gain INC Tones
2010/06/05 08:48:09 BST 1 0 0 0 0 0.0 0.0 38.9 0.0 0 0 0.00 0.00 0 0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0 0 G.DMT2+ Annex A Unknown 211/89 ERR_ALL_OPTIONS_FAIL -15.7 -10.4 23.2 0
2010/06/05 11:33:36 BST 1 7601 7121 7117 7117 9.0 8.8 38.9 18.2 96 1008 0.39 8.37 1016 1016 6.0 18.5 -214748360.0 453 0 G.DMT2+ Annex A Unknown 229/103 N/A -15.0 -10.3 23.2 0

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 01:09:28 PM »

After only a couple of days I have mixed feelings about the new modem.

In the day it synchs faster - about 7.6 Mbps vs 7.0 Mbps.
Daytime speedtests @ speedtest.net give about 6.4 Mbps vs 5.7 Mbps
Even so, CRC rate is about 7 per minute vs between 0.1 and 0.7 per minute.

But in the evening it becomes awful, and web browsing is noticeably sluggish vs ST546.
The old ST546's SNR Margin drifts down in steps from 9 to about 7. i.e. -2dB
Currently this happens between 21h00 and 22h30.
The new 2-Wire drifts down continuously (no steps) from about 8.5 to about 4.5. i.e. -4dB
The CRC error rate rockets up. It touched 100 errors per minute just before I forced a resynch
as the BBC TV programme I was trying to watch was having constant dropouts.
Yet the FEC rate was quite low - about 500 per minute.
The ST546 FEC rate was often between 2000 and 7000 per minute.
This suggests to me that the ST546 is doing a better job at correcting errors - opinions?
As neither router gives the per minute figure directly, I just divide the actual figure, e.g. FECs, by the uptime in minutes.
This always starts at 0 and increases over time so I think that I'm correctly comparing eggs with eggs between the two routers.

Resynching the 2-Wire around midnight the SNR Margin was again 9. Speed dropped back to 6.7 Mbps.
By morning SNR Margin drifted up to 11, with very few CRC errors.

I couldn't get RouterStats to work. RouterStats Lite doesn't show bitloading (or I couldn't find the option).
I need to discuss  this over on the RouterStats forums.
Pretty easy to adapt my own monitoring Perl scripts with a new 2-Wire frontend.
It pulls the necessary data off two webpages, converts to .txt, parses and outputs to a cacti-like format.
Then the data looks similar to that from the ST546.
I did have a problem to find an explicit uptime - used "Time Since Last Event - DSL Training Errors" from Statistics.
Seems that the 2-Wire doesn't like being polled every 20 seconds à la ST546, but every 30 secs is OK.

Still need to to get to the master socket. Need to run extended tests to find out if the evening
noise is generated chez nous, or external.

Cheers, Peter

anything