Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Question on DLM adjusting snr  (Read 11771 times)

strontium90

Re: Question on DLM adjusting snr
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2010, 09:29:56 PM »

sevenlayermuddle:-
I think youve got it right...the DLM thinks I've got a stable line...I must be careful now as otherwise I'll be back on the fixed rate 2meg

strontium90

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2010, 07:21:16 PM »

Ok...The line has been connected now with no re-syncs for 5 days 8 hours + on the WAN
The snr has remained constant (apart from the daily REIN drop) but have optimised things... a 4032kps downstream at snr 8dB (so the REIN only brings it down to 6dB)

Problem is my ip profile hasn't came up...Interleave is still off (when it normally was depth 32)

Having done some reading on a Plusnet forum, I am sure (from the interleave=off) that BT have initiated a Customer Controlled SNR, as Sevenlayermuddle suggested....I don't want interleave off and want my ip profile back to 3500kps....what can I do as the Indian helpline is worse than useless?

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2010, 09:44:47 PM »

RE: IP profile, Can you post actual results from the BT speedtester so we can comment?  Normally it should catch up after 5 days, and with a connection speed of 4032 you'd expect a profile of 3500.

RE: Interleaving, I thought that the ISPs were supposed to understand requests to enable interleaving, as some people ask for it to be explicitily disabled to improve response time for games.   In your case interleaving won't necessarily improve your connection speed or your profile, but it ought to make you less susceptible to interference, and therefor better able to maintain the same connection speed and profile.     But I do share your opinion on Indian help lines...  >:(

strontium90

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2010, 10:20:54 PM »

Here is my speed tester reult from tonight at the bottom

My router stats telnet page too....note the low snr is a result of the daily REIN event and the LOS are historical and I haven't had any in a while...note Interleave off

[attachment deleted by admin]

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2010, 11:30:14 PM »

Strontium90,

That latest speed test shows an 'assured rate IP profile',  whereas your previous tests just showed an 'IP profile'.  As far as my limited understanding of assured rate goes, it relates to IPStream Advanced Services, and enabled certain bandwidth to be reserved for (e.g. BT vision).

It seems odd that your latest test shows 'assured rate', whereas earlier tests didn't, but I'm guessing it may explain why your profile appears to be 'stuck' Have you changed anything, or asked for any new service?

Can anybody else, with better (than I) understanding of assured rates, pass comment?

- 7LM

strontium90

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2010, 11:37:29 PM »

Strangely enough, that only started tonight...
The test I done earlier today showed my sync rate (downstream 4032kps) and the rate for my line was  "up to 7150kps"..

What is going on?

strontium90

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2010, 09:20:35 AM »

Ok...the speed test result from BT was the same this morning with an assured rate profile...

Also telnet info proved interesting "Status: ShowtimeRetrain Reason: 1" ??

[attachment deleted by admin]

strontium90

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2010, 10:54:49 PM »

Can anyone help me here?

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2010, 11:47:34 PM »

Can anyone help me here?

I second that, can anybody help explain why Strontium's now showing an 'assured rate' profile, which seems to be less than would be expected of a bog-standard IP-profile?  I believe the evidence is that it CAN'T be explained by the 5-day wait, though feel free to correct me on that...?

@strontium... in the absence of other comments you may have no choice other than to battle with the Indian helplines again...  :(

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2010, 11:55:00 PM »

Hi
This link has some explanation . Hope it helps .
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,5945.msg132664.html#msg132664

Regards Jeff
zen user

strontium90

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2010, 03:06:36 AM »

The answer to CCSNR reset is here

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,82898.256.html

Plusnet = OK?

let me know?

strontium90

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2010, 03:35:10 AM »

Slm:---
waiting on ther explanation....
am looking out from BT....lucky theyve documented it all themselve's...
"assured profile" on an up to 8meg product....
Where's the fup???

strontium90

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2010, 10:12:09 AM »

Slm:-
An hour on the fon to India....apparently my line is in the 10 day training period since activation of BT total broadband last Tuesday???!!!??....even though her records show I've been with BT total broadband since 2007....She has escalated it with line faults but it looks like BT REtail (unbeknownst to me) have invoked a CCSNR reset...

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2010, 11:20:28 AM »

Slm:-
An hour on the fon to India....apparently my line is in the 10 day training period since activation of BT total broadband last Tuesday???!!!??....even though her records show I've been with BT total broadband since 2007....She has escalated it with line faults but it looks like BT REtail (unbeknownst to me) have invoked a CCSNR reset...

:(

CCSNR was introduced last year and if used properly it would be a welcome enhancement to the ISPs' support capabilities.  Unfortunately, I think I predicted at the time that the majority of ISP support staff (excepting the star performers, such as 'Zen' and some others)  wouldn't really understand it, and could end up causing more problems than they solved.

That said, CCSNR may not be a bad idea for your line, especially if you've carried out any wiring improvements since you initially took out the service.   During the 10 day training various line parameters are recorded such as Fault Threshold Rate, and it's in your interests to have them recalculated after any significant line improvements, and a rerun of the ten-day training is the only way to get that done.

I simply don't know why your line shows just an 'assured rate IP profile', and no other 'IP profile'.  
...@Jeff, That other thread was about a guy on Orange, who seemed to be having trouble with an FUP that was being apparently implemented by adjustment of his IP profile, which surprised us all.  The fact that his test also showed an 'assured rate' was slightly incidental, and his tests showed a conventional IP Profile as well as the assured rate profile.  I don't think this situation is the same.

edit: fixed some gibberish grammar
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 11:23:33 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

strontium90

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2010, 10:35:59 PM »

Got an e-mail from Eniskillen
They will let me know as soon as they know what wholesale are doing...
Just shows you...the right hand doesn't know what the left hands up to :P
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4