Broadband Related > ADSL Issues

hey have i got the worst line in the UK????

(1/3) > >>

chris87:
hey am chris and from hull

i am currently using karoo broadand 500 (cannot use any other ISP as i cant use BT)  :( had broadband for a year now and have had constant severe problems my internet used to dissconnect very randomly then it changed dissconnected all the time at night coudnt even connect to the internet for long periods its not as bad now only dissconnects 3 times a day rang karoo they just kept telling me its adware but am sure it wasnt that so i started researching and got my line stats had low SNR (well did) these are my line stats

router DG834GT super wireless
ADSL Link Downstream         Upstream
Connection Speed 608 kbps   288 kbps
Line Attenuation 61.0 db        31.5 db
Noise Margin 18.9 db             16.0 db

i am desperate to get 1 meg but i dont think my line is good enough any advice ??

all i know in my house is theres about 4 phone sockets ran around on a extension lead  :)

chris87:
and by the way this website has helped me alot thanks kitz  8)

kitz:
Hi chris

Your SNR Margin doesnt look too bad... but your attenuation isnt good at all 61dB generally means 512kb is the limit.

There isnt much as an end user you can do about attenuation as its related to the length of the line.

Does you SNR margin move at all, ie does that figure decrease in the evenings?
Since you are on *traditional adsl* problems normally start to occur in the <10-12 dB region.

Line stability + drop outs normally relate to low SNR.
Do you have a lot of HEC/CRC errors (check your router stats).

Do you have access to a test socket behind the master socket and are things better if you plug your router in there?  If so one of the filtered faceplates will very likely help.
(as per 1/2 way down the page http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm).

Adaware doesnt cause loss of sync only line/telecoms conditions can do that... and loss of PPP is down to telecoms/ISP.
Malware/spyware likes you to be online cause thats when it does its "dirty work".

Just as an aside cause I have to ask for elimination purposes..  its not just the wireless connection on your router dropping.. and it is full loss of synchronisation with the exchange. (Check the adsl light on your router).

chris87:
i have 1 router and 2 modems speedtouch and zoom and they all jus completely cut out jus cant connect up to the exchange sometimes

my SNR varies at times drops by 2db ranges between 18 and 22

used my router at master socket and still got 61 line attenuation downstream and my other modems give me very similar results (SNR an attenuation)

kitz:
I wouldnt expect your attenuation to vary that much - for the reasons stated above.

You should be able to hold a steady connection though on that SNR Margin.

If you were on a BTw product I would press your ISP to get an engineer to come check things over.  Im not sure what happens in Hull though, but I would say an engineer checking out your line wouldnt do any harm.

I know BTw sometimes even fit those NTE5 faceplates free on longer length lines.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version