Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sky Router (DG934G) with another ISP...  (Read 14340 times)

jaydog

• Reg Member
Sky Router (DG934G) with another ISP...
« on: February 26, 2010, 04:04:53 PM »

I have the netgear Sky router I bought from ebay today. I have flashed it using this guide:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/skyDG834GT_flash.htm

However, the amber light on the @ sign on the router stays on amber instead of turning green, but I can still get online with it.

Any ideas why it's amber and not green?

Thanks

BritBrat

• Kitizen
Re: Sky Router (DG934G) with another ISP...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 04:08:21 PM »

Is it a port light that is amber?

If so that is a slower device on it like a PAP2 VOIP.

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 04:11:17 PM »

It's the 'internet' light thats amber. It's amber when I turn it on when it's not connected to the phone line, and it stays amber even when it is.

Dunno why though, all my settings are correct as I backed up my netgear dg834g settings and restored them on this one. I can connect to the internet with it but it's concerning me why this light is amber.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 04:23:45 PM »

Have you rebooted the router?

Also may be worth doing a reset and setting it all up from scratch.

Is this a "N" router. (1000 what ever :))
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 04:25:46 PM by BritBrat »

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 04:29:56 PM »

Yeah tried rebooting, also tried setting up from scratch, no luck.

It's a Netgear DG934G, technically a DG834G but just renamed as in a black sky shell.

Shouldnt have probs connecting to o2 with it as I flashed it so it's now unlocked.

I can get online with it connected via ethernet, but now not wireless and amber light still on.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 05:34:15 PM »

Maybe you had a bad flash.

If it was me I would do it again, are you doing it with XP.  VISTA is not very good for this.

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 05:38:04 PM »

Flashed it with windows 7 running as admin - doubt it's that which is the prob as i can access the router settins just fine.

Tinkerer

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 05:43:30 PM »

I've recently unlocked a Sky DG934G with Netgear's DG834G V3 firmware V4.01.40 using a Windows XP system.

After updating firmware I did a hardware reset of router using the small hole protected button on rear.  Then went through wizard to set up connection.

When router is turned on the @ indicator flashes alternating between green and orange (or amber if prefer).  Once connection is establish the @ light remains a solid orange colour.  The internet works fine so it's just an annoyance that one light is differently coloured.

Will try reflashing one day with same firmware, or a DGTeam firmware.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 07:25:03 PM »

Hi
I am not sure if this will help . In the dg834g v4 it states that if the Lan port LED is green then it is connected to a 100Mbps device ,if it is amber then it is connected to a 10Mbps device
Regards Jeff
zen user

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 10:28:33 PM »

Hmmmmm interesting. I have a flashed sky sagem and when i connected it up to my BT connection with the username the @ symbol went green and i was able to use the ethernet and wireless function on the router. The only thing annoying about the sagem router is when its flashed and connected using another SP you get the power light, test light, wireless light and internet light all green lol. The @ symbol on a sky router jeff is the DSL/PPP light so when this is solid orange on a sky DSL connection that means there is no PPP session and it isn't logged in at the radius server. Might want to be careful with this cause you might be connecting to someone else's connection. Have you got your SP's own router there if so plugged that in and check the status of the lights then.

Regards
Gary

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 11:35:11 PM »

I would also suggest some care with the use of different modems on one connection.
Do ensure you have entered and stored the correct modem log on data for the actual line being examined BEFORE connecting it, particulalrly if you have used the replacement elsewhere on the same exchange !

Kind regards,
Walter

Tinkerer

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 12:16:43 PM »

I've just been playing around with the router again today, and have been unable to get it into flash recovery mode.  Tried holding button in for nearly a minute, before and after router was turned on.  But power and test light (one next to power) refused to blink alternatively.  Instead they blinked in synchronization along with the 4 LAN ports.

Have flashed with DGTeam firmware now, using the web interface.  So I'm assuming original unlock went wrong somewhere as flash recovery mode now seems broken.  Router still works though.

Only differences from guide is the exe to extract the recovery utility was called DG934G-1SKUKS_******** (eight numbers).  And the bin file Sky supplied with it was named with random alpha numerical characters, e.g. ABCD12-345-6789.bin instead of img extension.

I don’t remember if I had to rename Netgear firmware to same extension as well as same file name to originally flash device.

anything