Announcements > News Articles

So you changed to Firefox to avoid IE security problems...

(1/2) > >>

geep:
Germany warns against use of Firefox browser
according to the Beeb: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8580716.stm

Cheers,
Peter

roseway:

--- Quote ---Switching to a different browser may not be a good solution either, said Graham Cluley, senior technologist at security firm Sophos.

"Switching your web browser willy-nilly as each new unpatched security hole is revealed could cause more problems than it's worth," he said.

"What are you going to do when your replacement browser itself turns out to contain a vulnerability?

"My advice is to only switch from Firefox if you really know what you are doing with the browser you're swapping to. If you stick with Firefox, apply the security update as soon as it's available."
--- End quote ---

Good advice, in my opinion.

geep:
Of course, using Linux is even better advice...
Cheers,
Peter

roseway:
I couldn't disagree with that :)

jazz:
While on Firefox this morning I clicked on "Check for Updates" and was offered the update to 3.6.2 and have downloaded it - so they managed to come in long before the 30 March deadline they first announced.  All computer use offers some potential threat (witness the DSLZone disaster this week) - but so does life in general.  You just have to behave as sensibly as you can and use the security aids that are available to you, often at no cost.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version