Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: phyRe technology  (Read 5261 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
phyRe technology
« on: March 09, 2010, 06:59:34 PM »

Poking around in the configuration options in the new DGTeam firmware for DG834GT I see one called phyRe - Impulse Noise Protection. This is apparently a Broadcom-specific feature, which is supposed to improve the stability of a connection by removing impulse noise from the signal.

What isn't at all clear (to me) is whether this capability exists on all types of connection, or just ADSL2+, and whether it depends on specific DSLAM/MSAN types. Information on the net seems to be rather thin. Does anyone know more about this?
  Eric

pintosal

• Reg Member
Re: phyRe technology
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 08:23:44 PM »

From what I've read, this will only work with Broadcom chip based DSLAMs, and where phyRe is switched on.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 09:29:16 PM »

@ Pintosal,

The two wire modems always seem to show some sort of impulse noise protection in their diagnostics page, but usually it's just a constant figure - 2.46 TI, 1.64 Unknown, 2.0 TI.
However the new O2 one I showed yesterday with a Broadcom DSLAM gives a figure of 2.08, but there's seemingly no mention of phyRe.

Kind regards,
Walter

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 10:17:26 PM »

That's interesting,  I dug around and found some stuff, this being one of the best I came up with:

http://www.broadcom.com/collateral/wp/XDSL-WP101-R.pdf

My initial impression is that it's basically a more efficient error-correction mechanism involving physical layer retransmissions, so providing a lower BER. 
If it's based on physical layer ReTX, it's safe to assume it would need a co-operating DSLAM.

It seems to targeted at IPTV which apparently requires a lower BER (ie fewer physical layer errors) compared to more conventional internet traffic, which can rely on TCP/IP protocols for recovery from physical layer error.   I know nothing about IPTV, but if it can't benefit from TCP's error recovery then I can well speculate that it wouldn't work over normal DSL or, at least, it would require a more generous SNRM and hence a degradation of data rate.

I'd need to understand the document a lot better before speculating whether PhyR provides any benefit for users of applications that use TCP/IP, who don't need IPTV.

And in order to consume the document properly I'll need daylight, strong coffee, and a degree of motivation and attention span that I find hard to sustain these days, so perhaps I never will :)

- 7LM

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 10:35:34 PM »

That's an interesting document 7LM, so thanks. Like you I'll need daytime attention to take it in. :)
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 10:43:56 PM »

An interesting "fast read". More study required.
In the short term a quick question to my contacts at Be I think...
(my Be line is set at INP=2 I believe and has a Broadcom DSLAM and a DG834GT at my end with DGTeam firmware)