Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I'm looking for ..... but I've forgotten the name !!  (Read 9800 times)

scottiesmum

I'm looking for ..... but I've forgotten the name !!
« on: January 17, 2010, 03:19:18 PM »

::)

Several  years ago we had a sandwich(grill) maker .....  a red one, quite heavy  ..and I THINK it was something like a Remy or Remi or similar  ...  I've Googled for both of these but without success.  Can anyone remember these  at all, and if so perhaps you have the correct name.   It was a grill where steak etc.,  could be cooked but also made 'proper' toasted sandwiches !   We have a modern Breville type thing, but not a patch on the old one.  More than likely out of circulation now, but I thought I might have a look on e-bay if I have the correct information.    I know this is nothing to do with computers, but it is electrical  ;D and I thank you in advance for any help.    As a last resort I will get some of the 'new' sandwich toaster bags !!!

BritBrat

• Kitizen
Re: I'm looking for ..... but I've forgotten the name !!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 04:05:46 PM »

Breville?

George Forman?

Bifinett ?

Hinari?

toastess?

Presto?

Cuisinart?

Swan?

Guess not :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 05:11:46 PM by BritBrat »

scottiesmum

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 04:13:30 PM »

No one of those BB  ...   too modern  ;D    but thank you ! :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 04:14:48 PM »

Several  years ago we had a sandwich(grill) maker .....  a red one, quite heavy

Me too,her name was Hiawatha,but she couldn't make them fast enough so I got rid............

Sorry Kate,I will try and help if I can

scottiesmum

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 04:18:10 PM »

:lol:

Thanks Unc  :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 04:27:28 PM »

Was this a French one or one you bought when in the UK?

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 04:29:13 PM »

We still have one!  I am not at home at the moment, but will look when I return.  IIRC, we bought ours when we lived in Germany in the 80s and haven't been able to find them in the UK.  I did see one in Auchan in their store outside Boulogne - so maybe they are just mainland Europe only, and never made it to the UK?

[EDIT] Not home yet, but this one http://www.johnlewis.com/230562590/Product.aspx  is almost the same.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 04:48:04 PM by camallison »

scottiesmum

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 04:44:40 PM »

Thanks Unc and Colin  .....   I had this in the UK, and it would have been  about 25 years ago   :o  doesn't time fly !!    I bought it in the UK and have never seen them here Colin   !  .....   I haven't a clue what happened to ours     (lost in  translation perhaps  :D).   It was a heavy thing, with a lid that folded right  back so that it looked like an open book  ....  both sides had deep grills   ....   it was a monkey to clean, but worth it ....     I'm certain it began with an 'R'  !

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 04:48:15 PM »

I'm wondering if it was an American grill,they make a lot of cast iron cooking pans,grills etc.

scottiesmum

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 05:14:31 PM »

Thanks Colin  !       very similar, but a definite grill insert not the square things  ( I have one like that now) ......    :)

Unc ... I don't think it was American    .......  ???    but I can't be certain   ..... ???

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 05:29:31 PM »

There used to be a range under brand name Revel................but I cannot see any up to date refs. for that name.

Could that be it. ?  :-\

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 05:58:52 PM »

I am home now, and have looked at ours - it is as you describe and the name is "Rima" - Sue says we bought it in the UK before we went to Germany and it was from Argos.  Heavy, clunky, folds out flat and the grill surfaces come out for cleaning.  It must be over 20 30 years old, and still going strong!

[EDIT] The Rima brand was manufactured by Sunbeam - probably now defunct.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 06:29:56 PM by camallison »

scottiesmum

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 06:02:53 PM »

Thanks TD  ......     

Colin   ...That is the one   ...   Rima   .....Thank you, I can start exploring now ....

Many thanks to all   :flower:

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 06:04:45 PM »

I saw this online in a "free to all" ad for the Portsmouth area - see pic

[attachment deleted by admin]

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 06:34:41 PM »

I asked the fount of all knowledge in the electrical appliances sector - my father-in-law.  Guess what - he worked for them!  This is what he said:

"Based in Ealing Rd, Alperton.
I was first employed attached to press shop which turned out anything from pressed steel radiator panels to sandwich grill covers (very noisy and oily), at my insistence I was transferred to the Goods Inwards department where I was responsible for inspection and testing of components bought in for final assembly in the assembly shop that produced completed oil-filled radiators, fan-heaters, bathroom light/heater units and sandwich grills.
Originally company was called Rima Electric, and in 1983 company was acquired by the American Sunbeam corporation and the operation that produced electric irons was transferred from its factory in Basingstoke to Alperton.
In 1984 Sunbeam Electric decided on a wholesale downsize due to the effects of the recession and several key personnel and production staff were surveyed as to whether they preferred to move with the company or take voluntary redundancy, I plumped for the latter which was fortuitous since the Basingstoke operation of Sunbeam folded in November of the same year."

So - it seems they were before their time and didn't wait for George Foreman!
Pages: [1] 2