Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Wednesday, 6th Jan  (Read 2062 times)

camallison

• Kitizen
Wednesday, 6th Jan
« on: January 06, 2010, 08:26:53 AM »

Snow, snow, snow ...... that's all we see on the BBC News at the moment.  I am sure we got just as much and still coped decades ago.  I can remember the winter of 78/79 when I got stuck in Sheffield (Hallam Towers Hotel) for a week - but the snow was very deep and the gritters were on strike.

Maisie and I have had a wonderful time playing in the fields in the snow - and will do so again this morning.

Wrap up warm and keep safe everyone.

Colin
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 10:49:11 AM by camallison »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Wednesday, 6th Jan
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 08:41:04 AM »

Snow, snow, snow ...... that's all we see on the BBC News at the moment.  I am sure we got just as much and still coped decades ago.  I can remember the winter of 78/79 when I got stuck in Sheffield (Hallam Towers Hotel) for a week - but the snow was very deep and the gritters were on strike.

I remember it well Colin,that is the time when I had my serious accident(1st Dec 1978) and spent 6 months at my mums being looked after.The area they lived in was on the outskirts of Sheffield and the snow was very deep.

I remember my poor old dad clearing the paths of snow and then walking to work and back.

We seemed to cope better then than we do today (imo)

Deep snow here,Sue couldn't get the car out this morning so she phoned work and was told someone would pick her up.They didn't make it so she has a rare day off today.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 08:59:49 AM by UncleUB »

scottiesmum

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 09:27:00 AM »

:silly: :swoon: :scare: :silly: :scare: :swoon: :o :-X :'(   Guess what   !!         :D

Not a lot of it, but we have a covering    ......  it is deadly hushed in the vineyards and they look rather sad to have white feet this morning  ;D   

I too remember in 1981 when we lived in the Trough of Bowland, we were snowed in for 10 days  ....   hated snow then   .. hate it now  !! 

You take care over there   ....  so glad that Sue is at home  ....  best place to be .....     if you don't have to go out please don't   ....   

Enjoy your day everyone   ....   and I know I'm repeating myself   ...  but take care   :)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 09:32:19 AM »

Good morning, camallison, unkyUb and all who may pop in.  ;D

Cold.....snowing on top of ice.....I've have never known a spell when it was so cold for such a long period around here, where there is generally a mild climate. We have not been above freezing point since 17th. December ( apart from one brief thaw last week which just made things worse )

Glad to see, unkyUb, that Sue can stay safe in the warm today.

Indoor  pottering is the order of the day.

Have fun, stay warm.  :)

ooops...scottiesmum has popped up......good morning,   ;D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 09:50:31 AM »

Morning all :)

We only had a light fall of snow last night, and my paper turned up at the usual time this morning, so I guess it's not too bad round here. It's just started snowing again, but it's only thin stuff, so I'm crossing my fingers.

Commiserations to those of you who are suffering - indoors in the warm sounds like the best place to be. Take great care if you have to go out.

Have a good day everyone (if you can). :)
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 01:27:23 PM »

We have about 2" and it looks a picture, one nice side affect is the deer are coming out of the woods and there was about 15 of them in the field at the back of us  :).

It's my first winter fuel payment this winter  :), Do we get a extra payment if its cold for a long period ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 01:34:56 PM »

It's my first winter fuel payment this winter   :) Do we get a extra payment if its cold for a long period ?.

Erm no. :)

Unless you are on one of these benefits,then you will qualify for a £25 a week cold weather payment if your area is below zero for 7 consecutive nights.

You can get more than 1 payment.........we have qualified for 2 at present.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Inretirement/DG_10018668

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 02:17:20 PM »

Thanks for the link unc:
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.