Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Slow connection  (Read 5724 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Slow connection
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2007, 07:02:46 PM »

Although we very often recommend the DG834's because of its stability.  Theres actually nothing much wrong with the 2091 (aside from the fact that its locked to BT). 
The 2091 is basically the same as the unlocked Voyager 2100/2110 and actually have the same chipset as the Netgear v3s.
I purposely chose a a Voyager 2100 in replacement of a DG834G (v2) because it does a couple of things that the Netgear doesnt.  They work pretty well and I have no problem with them.  Theyre just a bit dearer (or were) than the Netgears though. :/ 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Russcos

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2007, 02:15:07 AM »

Hi Kitz, I've been busy over the last few weeks and have just got around to requesting BT to turn off interleaving and setting the target SNR to it's default... heres a copy of the mail i received

Response (Kamalnath Jayaraman) - 07/12/2007 02:58 AM
Dear Mr. Steel,

Thank you for your e-mail dated 12th July 2007, your e-mail has been logged under the reference number *********

I placed a request to change your interleaving completely off. It will be processed within 3 to 5 working days. The target SNR will be automatically changed by DLM and no need to place a request for that. To allow the automatic change to happen, connect your router to test socket and keep it working for 3 days. To connect to test socket perform the steps below:

1. Unplug all devices from your telephone line. This includes sky/alarms/extensions/double-adapters/filters/telephones.
2. Take the router to the master socket. If you have a router (this will have an Ethernet port as well as a USB port), you will only need to take the router and power cable.
3. We need to test the connection on a ‘test socket’, which is hidden behind the panel of the master socket. You will need to remove the panel to access the test socket (you may need to use a screw driver).
4. Once you have removed the panel to reveal the test socket, plug in a micro filter, and then the DSL cable from the filter into the router.
5. Now check the DSL lights glows solid or flashes.

Please visit http://www.bt.com/broadband/help for solutions to most technical questions and to contact us in future.

Thank you for using BT Total Broadband.

Kamalnath
BT Total Broadband Support Team.

Customer - 07/12/2007 01:40 AM
Connection:
Dear BT,

I have recently had a problem with my phone line which has now been fixed to my satisfaction, But whilst i had the fault, the DLM system amended my profile to give me a target SNR of 15dB and also applied interleaving.

My line is now once again stable and i would like interleaving to be set to permanent OFF, and also my Target SNR being set back to the default.

Regards,

Russell Steel.

Now the question is...... they may turn off interleaving, but does the DLM automatically change the target SNR to it's default?, as surely with my line being stable for weeks now it should be done already. I havent rebooted my router since tweaking it with the DMT tool so i'm unaware if it's back at default or not. Is it best to leave it 5 days then reboot to see if interleaving is off and target SNR is at 6dB?

Cheers.

Russ.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2007, 03:32:39 AM »

>>  placed a request to change your interleaving completely off.

Brilliant :)

Check your router stats it should say FAST if it is.

>> The target SNR will be automatically changed by DLM and no need to place a request for that.

D'OH !!!
The instructions hes given is for your IP profile - TArget SNR doesnt change after 3 days Im afraid. :/
It is supposed to at some point, but no-one seems to know what it is.  Ive seen someones change after a month or so.. but other lines simply just dont change after several months.

Both Target SNR and Interleaving are configurable attributes that your ISP can ask BTw to change.
Write back to them saying thanks for getting interleaving switched off, but you still wish for your Target SNR to be amended back to the default value of 6dB from 15dB.

Stress that you understand the instructions given, but the information about Target SNR changing is unfortunately incorrect. Say that you are aware that Target SNR (which is not the same as SNR Margin) doesnt change after 3 days, and its the IP profile that the DLM will reconfigure after 3 days stable connection.
Your line has been stable for several weeks and this change has not occured and that a change in Target SNR back to the default value has to be requested by them to BTw.

You could also say if you like that you are currently using DMT to get your router to over-ride the default value set on the DSLAM, but you wish to make this setting permanent since everytime you reboot your router then  the Voyager 2091 doesnt remember this setting.

>> as surely with my line being stable for weeks now it should be done already.

Correct :)

Crikey -  if it did there would be many people whose lines do need the higher target SNR would go back to being unstable every few days :(

>> Is it best to leave it 5 days then reboot to see if interleaving is off and target SNR is at 6dB?

Interleaving doesnt take long to go through the system.. if they processed the request to BTw yesterday then it should have been done some time overnight.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Russcos

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2007, 08:20:42 PM »

Hi Kitz,

Sent BT a mail telling them about the SNR margins and surprise they havent got back to me yet.

I have just had a check on the router and the latency type now says Fast and the sync rate is now 8128kbps,and the noise margin is 8.8dB

I have now just rebooted  and it is now at sync with the exchange at 7428, and the noise margin is 11.4dB.

Reboot and do a tweak with the DMT tool  and we are here again at a sync of 8128kbps and a noise margin of 8.8dB?

Obviously BT have turned off interleaving but havent set the noise margin back to it's 6dB default. Would i be correct in saying when they do decide to set the noise margin at it's default then after a reboot i should sync at 8128 without the DMT tool..... oh....sorry to keep on but, when they set the noise margin back to default how do you know?

Cheers

Russ.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2007, 01:07:57 PM »

Apologies for delay - been away for a couple of days.

>> latency type now says Fast

:)

>> I have now just rebooted  and it is now at sync with the exchange at 7428, and the noise margin is 11.4dB

Your Target SNR is likely currently set at 9 or 12dB then. :/

>> Obviously BT have turned off interleaving but havent set the noise margin back to it's 6dB default.

correct

>> Would i be correct in saying when they do decide to set the noise margin at it's default then after a reboot i should sync at 8128 without the DMT tool..

Yep correct again  :)

>> oh....sorry to keep on but, when they set the noise margin back to default how do you know?

NPs..  Youve got the gist so far and its when you can sync at 8128 without having to use DMT.  The thing is this could take quite a while but like I said how long no-one knows.   If it does it will likely go through stages..  so for eg.

If now you are on a Target SNR of 12dB and if the period is one month of stability.

After one month the DLM may reduce the Target SNR down to 9dB.
Than after another month it may go down to 6dB.

Unfortunately I dont think anyone can say for sure - because when it comes to reducing the Target SNR back down by the DLM I havent seen a pattern emerge to say for sure it takes x period of time. I do know its certainly not 3 days though.. and more like many weeks. 
-----
Pages: 1 [2]

anything