Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Avast update - Database 091203-0 3/12  (Read 9800 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Avast update - Database 091203-0 3/12
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2009, 04:15:24 PM »

>> Perhaps the user saw them in the chest this morning and assumed that they had been knocked out by that update,

Im not sure... possibly.   There do seem to be some that have run into great difficulties and do seem to have lost required o/s files.  I didnt look too closely.

One thing that does seem to be certain is that those who experienced the worst problems are those that Avast performed the reboot scan on.  
I saw one guy mention that his PC 'froze' after he saw that message.   Mine didnt actually completely freeze, but it did start running very slow.  Im not sure what it was doing, but as mentioned in my post earlier.. I was assuming that it was stopping access to certain files or memory.   To me, here,  the symptoms were typical of if you were extremely short of Memory and it took an age to do anything.  

It was certainly locking the system up each time it encountered what it thought was a new instance of  the Delf-MZG Virus and wouldnt release control properly until the 'infected file' had been moved into the virus chest or deleted.

This has made me think that no external program should ever be allowed to delete valid windows system files so easily.  
Surely there must be some way which important o/s files can be hashed to prove they are valid ...  and that way any rogue or pretend system files could still be filtered and removed if need be.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2009, 04:21:47 PM »

I would imagine that the good people at Avast are currently conducting a serious and in-depth investigation of the events, and of their quality control procedures.

That in itself gives me confidence to think that a reoccurance is unlikely.....at least in the short to medium term.

They must be busy doing that as there has been no updates from them today, indeed since they released the "fiasco-fix" yesterday am.............imagine the size of the update when it does come.. >:(

The first thought that struck me the other night was that Avast itself had been hacked and was sending out updates which were infact viruses themselves.  An easy assumption to make as the Avast site was down at the time.
The second though was a disgruntled Avast member of staff up to no good.  This is a pretty damn big mistake and Im unsure how such a release actually got out in the wild to so many people.  Surely they must test any updates before they are released for the public so why was such a release allowed to be distributed.   Because of the nature of 'the mistake' and the fact that it was pulling up so many false positives,  I find it extremely hard to believe that the update was not checked before it was released.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2009, 04:37:58 PM »

>> Perhaps the user saw them in the chest this morning and assumed that they had been knocked out by that update,

Im not sure... possibly.
I have several copies of those files in my bin going back over several months, so that is not a problem.

However, I did get a re-boot message on one of my PC's a few days ago, but have not really used it since so don't know if there is a problem or if a more recent update sorted out any problem "if there was one"

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2009, 05:58:38 PM »

On alt.com.anti-virus Malwarebytes is reported as having similar coincident problems. Not sure if this is true (I don't run malwarebytes continuously) nor of its significance but it's interesting.
Tony

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2009, 06:05:34 PM »

No problem with Malwarebytes from me.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2009, 06:46:36 AM »

Malwarebytes fine for me, also.. :)

There was a program update yesterday and all went smoothly.

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2009, 02:22:34 PM »

I see that The Register has just caught up with this (it's usually much quicker than that) and has links to "How to Fix It" info if anyone still has problems from last week - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/07/avast_false_positive/   :)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2009, 02:56:16 PM »

Good read, and very helpful.

Thanks, jazz  :)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2009, 09:32:40 AM »

For anyone interested, here is a very detailed explanation of what went wrong at Avast with that fateful update...........written and posted by Mr. Avast himself (Vic).

At least they do not shy from airing their dirty linen in public, and I applaud them for that.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=51783

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2009, 02:16:37 PM »

That's a very honest and open posting and I think it is very encouraging.  Thanks for the heads up TD.  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2009, 02:25:36 PM »

What a good post.   

"Hands up - We ballsed up - and this is how it happened and this is what were going to do next".

As I said earlier it wont put me off using it again.. once a company has been bit by something this big they usually learn from it.
I took it off..  only because I was affected and didnt want to leave my system  either unprotected or moving valid files to the virus chest all night. 
-----
Pages: 1 [2]

anything