Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: BT Option 1 Slow Speed  (Read 25082 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: BT Option 1 Slow Speed
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2007, 08:23:18 PM »

yw

hopefully tomorrow morning your SNR Margin will be higher allowing you a "decentish" speed again. (once the bRAS profile has caught up).
Good luck
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2007, 01:57:07 PM »

Hi,did the re boot this morning to no avail,Bt speedtester as follows Ip profile 500k,832kbps downstream,382 upstream.Did bbmax speedtest 439 kbps downstream,382 upstream.Roter stats as follows,

line rate 832 down 448 up
noise margin 15.4 down 11.0 up
line att 63.0 down 31.5 up
output power 14.6 down 12.0 up.

Phoned Bt faults who told me to turn everything off (router,computer,unpug all cables) for 4 hours,then my speed should be back.Are these people for real?
In the space of a month my downstream speed have varied from 1845 down to 486 kbps.When the Bt engineer first came he went up the pole outside and moved my line on to a spare one,ever since then I have had these problems.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2007, 09:35:10 AM »

Hi,Just to follow up my last post,IP profile gone back up to 1000k, 1344down/448up,noise margin 14.3 down/12.0up.Did a bbmax speedtest 976 down/382 up.I think I will have to resign myself to not being able to get more than 1meg,I guess I,m not on my own on that one.
 The thing that annoys me is that when I signed up for Bt option 1 at the end of April 2007 I not told what speed my line could support,but I could get Bt Vision!!!I now no I can't.Also when the engineer fixed my line fault on 25 June he said I was syncing at 1mb but It should go up to 2mb when the line adjusts.Its never been near 2mb.Have I got a good case to get my contract cancelled (18 months) without any financial penalties?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2007, 03:58:41 PM »

Hmm.. the 18-month Option 1 contract includes a free setup, so they're not likely to release you from the contract early unless you can prove that they promised a capability which you're not getting (rather unlikely I imagine). In any event, the technical performance wouldn't be any different with another ISP; you're on the end of a long line and that's what's limiting your connection speed. It's probably grin-and-bear-it time I'm afraid. :(
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2007, 05:36:31 PM »

Just as I thought Roseway,please excuse me while I go and lay some fibre optic cable.Ps,is there a grin and bear it book for dummies?????????

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2007, 06:51:31 PM »

:)
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2007, 09:01:54 AM »

Hi, just a query anyone,I have used the broadband checker on DSLZoneuk and got results that confused me.When I entered my Bt phone number it said my line could support 1mb.When I entered just my postcode ( for LLU only) it said I could get 3.5 mb.Do you get faster speeds with LLU?Distance to exchange as the crow flies 1.83km.My underground cabling must twist and wind as my router gives line attenuation as 63.0 down/31.5 up.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2007, 11:04:37 AM »

As things stand at present, a higher top speed (up to 24 Mbps) is available with LLU in some places, but I don't think that it would give much (if any) improvement on a very long line like yours. (I may be wrong on this, and I'm open to being corrected by someone who knows better). These speed indicators are only estimates, and I don't know where the LLU data comes from. You would still be stuck with your BT contract anyway, of course.
  Eric

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2007, 05:19:48 PM »

As far as I'm aware, the LLU Postcode checker just does a guess as to the length of your line, based on distance from the exchange plus a bit to allow for your phone line not going in a straight line.

Unfortunately some lines (like yours) seem to go a lot longer way around than usual, so with LLU you would probably not get any more speed from your line. You may get a little depending on what your targer SNR margin is set at, but ADSL via a LLU provider isn't really any different to BT's ADSL, especially below speeds of 8Mb.
Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2007, 07:16:06 PM »

Correct.

Although I Be*lieve some LLU providers have access to the BT database which gives them an approximation of your actual line length.  From this you can then get an approx idea of the line attenuation (obviously this will differ depending on local conditions).

The attenuation can then give you an approximation of your maximum speed (but this can differ depending on hardware etc)... so as you can see its all quite vague.

adsl2+ does use slightly different technology which can give you higher speeds... but if your line is anything over 45-50dB then you are very unlikely to see anything that much better on LLU than you would on Max.

Maximum speed calculator
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2007, 07:27:55 AM »

Hi all,after getting around 1mb steady for the last 6weeks I find this morning my router has re synced at 800kbps downstream and 448 upstream,ip profile 500kb.
line stats
noise margin  14.2 down/11.0 up
line att 63.0down/31.5 up
output power 16.1 down/12.0 up.

the ony errors since the re sync 17 hours ago are superframe errors 296 down/192 up.And HEC errors 144down/0 up.
Did a bbmax speed test  485kbps down/383 up.
I know things changed at btw last month so will I still have to wait about 3 days to to see a speed increase?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2007, 09:08:24 AM »

>> I know things changed at btw last month so will I still have to wait about 3 days to to see a speed increase?

Since the recent changes, this question has become more difficult to answer. Broadly speaking, big drops in IP profile should be restored quickly when the connection speed increases again, and small drops will take longer to restore. Of course, nothing will happen until the router reconnects at a higher speed, so it's probably a good time to reboot the router.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2007, 11:36:11 AM »

Hi Roseway,just done a reboot but the stats are slightly lower 704 downstream/448 upstream.Noise margins about the same 14.2 down/11.0 up
What do the stats need to be to get a better re-sync speed.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 11:47:25 AM by UncleUB »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2007, 12:55:03 PM »

You'll have to sync at 864 or more to get the next higher IP profile (750) and 1152 for a 1000 profile.

It does rather look as though something may have worsened on your line (perhaps temporarily). If you've done all you can to make your own internal wiring and connections as ideal as possible there probably isn't much more you can do unfortunately. :(
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2007, 04:17:37 PM »

Hi,just phoned Bt broadband faults who after much waffling on  ran a check on my line and tell me I have a fault and it has been passed on to the engineers.I live in hope. :help:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5