Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Can IP Profiles be 'fiddled' with?  (Read 23138 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Can IP Profiles be 'fiddled' with?
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2009, 10:32:56 AM »

These down-to-zero spikes may just be just reporting glitches, not actual drops in the noise margin. With some routers it can happen that from time to time Routerstats is unable to get a sample because the router is tied up doing something else. When this happens, Routerstats reports a zero value on the graph.
  Eric

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2009, 12:26:54 PM »

@ Roseway,

I have seen precisely this result on some of the lines I've been monitoring, particularly if the sample time is short.
Is it safe to say that some real drops either have a flat at the bottom for one or two samples or a different noise margin after a re-sync ?

Otherwise checking the time since last re-sync on modems that report this data is probably the safest way ?

Kind regards,
Walter

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2009, 01:13:35 PM »

>>> Is it safe to say that some real drops either have a flat at the bottom for one or two samples or a different noise margin after a re-sync ?

I wouldn't say that it was safe, just fairly probable. A 'real' brief drop to zero noise margin could be the result of a short one-off pulse of interference.

>>> Otherwise checking the time since last re-sync on modems that report this data is probably the safest way ?

That's the safest way.
  Eric

kapt69

• Reg Member
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2009, 11:12:16 AM »

Thanks folks.
Have tried to look for how to find 'time since last re-sync' on routerstats forum - but without luck.
On the setup tab - system (routerstats lite) it shows 'connect timed out' at approx time shown on graph for latest 'spike'. Does this explain anything?
Apologies if it is blindingly obvious - one of these days I'll get around to removing the dark glasses!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2009, 01:24:40 PM »

You may see it on the Router Stats Page tab in Routerstats, otherwise it's probably somewhere in the router's web interface.
  Eric

kapt69

• Reg Member
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2009, 05:03:22 PM »

It's no good - have to get another toolkit. Tried to unscrew the 'router's web interface' - but couldn't budge it at all! :-[

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2009, 05:32:56 PM »

It's no good - have to get another toolkit. Tried to unscrew the 'router's web interface' - but couldn't budge it at all! :-[

:lol: :lol:

IIRC on the netgears its from the usual linestats page

From the web interface http://192.168.0.1
> Router Status
> "Show Statistics" Button

It will show something like the LAN and WAN uptime in format of  hours/minutes/seconds and above that the system up time.
Not sure off the top of my head if it shows actual sync time or just the time the router has been up for.

There was a bit of a discussion about recorded uptimes on the netgears here... but since I dont have one connected now I cant check Im afraid.
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=5629.0
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 05:43:48 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2009, 07:08:49 PM »

Hi
On the netgear  router stats page you get the LAN is the time the router has been up for . The WAN  is the PPPoA time . The other time in routerstats is the actual connection to the exchange its calculated from the SF counts .

Regards Jeff
zen user

kapt69

• Reg Member
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2009, 09:02:08 PM »

Hi
Have hopefully attached routerstats page
This appears to show WAN, LAN & WLAN all much same for up time??
If this is hrs/mins/secs it would seem to show 73 hours - yet have had numerous spikes to zero in this period??

[attachment deleted by admin]

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2009, 09:41:43 AM »

>> The WAN  is the PPPoA time .

Thanks jeff.

Translation for kapt - thats the time you have been connected to your ISP.   This is different from sync time... but if you did loose sync, then you would also loose the PPPoA session.
Since all are the same then it certainly looks like your router has been up and working fine for the past 73 hours.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kapt69

• Reg Member
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2009, 09:57:05 AM »

Oh jeez - rumbled at last!
Kitz - how did you know I was Welsh?
I'm only just coming to terms with this weird language of yours - seriously thanks for the translation. Hope it helps others - not just me.
Thanks also to Jeff & the other contributors.
Regards
K

kapt69

• Reg Member
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2009, 06:56:38 AM »

Still puzzled as to what these spikes are. Sometimes they seem to result in change of sync speed - so presumably have caused a 're-sync'? (after post saying hours on routerstats page were mostly identical, of course they changed!) Presumably as a result of this instability the IP Profile has been reduced, so I would just like to find out what they are and if possible reduce frequency/effect. Download speed on BT Speedtester now 698kbs - has been 900+ for a while recently. Not sure if this is appropriate to continue in this post as IP profile does not seem to be affected by 'outside forces' at moment. Would welcome advice on both matters. Thanks.

[attachment deleted by admin]

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2009, 08:39:13 AM »

IP profile does not seem to be affected by 'outside forces' at moment.

That's definitely the case, it's just following the normal rules of BT's DLM and bRAS management.  There did seem to some evidence earlier on that it was being throttled by Orange, but here's no evidence now and so no point in pursuing it, IMO.  I'm not commenting on the routerstats quirks as I already admitted that's not a special interest of mine.  Hopefully, one of the other contributors will be along to pass comment soon.

Just one thing did interest me...  you had some difficulties, and overcame them, a few days ago getting the uptimes.  But way back at the start of the thread you also posted some uptimes.  I'm justcurious how these earlier ones were obtained, as these were the ones that suggested Orange skulldugery to me?

Router stats from jeffbb's suggested first link:

System Up Time 605:52:37
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 2632250 3627555 0 159 1906 605:52:09
LAN 100M/Full 1702453 1422929 0 604 111 605:52:36
WLAN 11M/54M 2708958 1988156 0 1411 122 605:52:22

kapt69

• Reg Member
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2009, 09:53:54 AM »

Hi SLM
Really flattered you think I can remember that far back!
Have looked & am pretty sure I followed Jeff's first link then entered my router model, clicked on something like show stats and up it came. Not sure from there, but somehow copied & posted.(http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php)
I guess it must have been a 'snapshot' at that particular time?
Will wait short while to see if anyone has suggested explanation re these spikes - & then does one 'close the thread'?? I agree about Orange - but don't forget I'm still paying £19.99 p.m. and haven't taken them up on their offer of 6 months free if I sign up for 12. I can't help wonder if I did, whether anything would happen to IP Profile. OK now I'm being really paranoid. To be honest I'm not sure what to do about that.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2009, 10:45:24 AM »

As mentioned previously, on the odd occasion routerstats can show an unexplained dip of SNRM down to zero.  This is usually if say the router is busy doing something else, or if routerstats just cant access the figures from your router for some reason or other at that moment in time.

The 14:59 looks like an unable to access as the SNRM both sides is pretty even. I wouldnt worry about those ones.

However at 20:38 ish that looks like you perhaps have had a noise spike which has caused the router to loose sync.  SNR started a slow decline at about 20:20, then a tad later it dropped so much that the noise drowned out the signal and you had to do a full resync at a lower speed.

Did you put the kettle on? ;D

In fact looking at the 2 graphs it looks like sometime between 15:40 and 19:40, there must also have been a decline in SNR (graph not shown), but sometime between those 2 times there has obviously been a decline in your SNRM.  It would be interesting to know if that was a slow decline, or a more sudden drop of around 3dB all at once.

>> Kitz - how did you know I was Welsh?

heh I didnt...  but I think jeff is too?
So my translation wasnt necessary then?

/kitz quickly hides from jeff & kapt :paperbag:
-----
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

anything