Broadband Related > ADSL Issues

connection speed, plusnet

(1/5) > >>

julie:
can you hear me groaning?
I recently got an e mail from PlusNet to say that my download amount will now be 2 GB, I think that was Monday.  Anyway since last night, have I had fun.  No.  The speed at which pages load has been v.slow, even tho now the box in the system tray said speed 48 mbps, signal excellent, status connected.  (Just checked again and it is now 24 mbps which is what it was last night).  Anyway that figure fluctuates, could it be anything to do with the increased download amount?  I wouldn't have thought so.  Earlier I tried to connect the ethernet cable with a view to changing channel number to see if that improved things but could not get connected, by now my wireless was disconnected (little red x over icon) and when I disconnected ethernet could not lose that little red x re wireless.  I finally discovered all detail re wireless had disappeared from the relevant page (can't remember where that is now!) Anyway reentered details and finally got wireless again and thought I would ask if anyone knows what is going wrong, before my wireless disappears again!  Can I ask, would it be ok to try to get in to my router's set up page via wireless or should that only be done over ethernet?

roseway:
The functioning of your wireless connection is nothing to do with the ISP. And the 24 Mbps or 48 Mbps refers to the speed of your local wireless connection, not your internet speed.

The slow downloads presumably are the result of PlusNet's traffic shaping, and you can't do much about that until your next billing month arrives. After that you will need to keep your downloads within limits or upgrade to a more expensive tarriff.

If you want to change the wireless configuration in your router, you will really need to do it via a wired connection.

Eric

kitz:
>> that my download amount will now be 2 GB

From what you have said I take it you are on the ?14.99 PAYG product?
afaik, the emails that went out were to say that the PAYG accounts that were 1GB inclusive had had an increase to 2 GB?  Therefore its a free increase of an additional 1GB which as far as you are conecerned should be a good thing... as you get "more for your money".

The PAYG account sees little traffic shaping, and even so, you should not see any shaping on http traffic (web browsing)... therefore its doubtful that these two events are related.

As roseway has quite rightly pointed out the wireless connection is not related to Plusnet and wont in any way be effected by the additional 1GB that Plusnet have given you in the baseline price of ?14.99.

You can access your router wirelessly to change configurations, although doing such things as changing channels would be best doing via ethernet.

oldfogy:
Hi Julie

First of all let me just say that I am by no means a expert (probably the opposite) especially where routers and the like are concerned.

However, when you get the "red X" if you either click on it, or click and select Properties, this should then give you an option of "Repair" this will then try and automatically re-configure your IP address.

Also, as you are on a 2GB DL (Capped) try not to empty your "Temporary Internet folder" too often.
As pages you visit on a regular basis have to be DL again.

And, if you have plenty of Hard-drive space, you could also "Increase" the size of the Temporary Internet folder in:
Internet Options, General, Settings.

Also while you are there, make sure the option "Every visit to the page"  is selected and not "Automatically" (if not already selected) this will also save DL build-up.

Again this can help to reduce the amount of info that has to be DL each time you open a web page.

All the best.
Phil

julie:
hi, can I thank everyone very much for your replies.  I did try to repair the connection several times yesterday but it didn't work, as I say once I reentered the details which had disappeared I at least got a connection to the router.  As you can see at the moment I have a connection to plusnet - phew.  The advice re not deleting from the temp internet folder is interesting, I have always done this after every on line session.  I'll try not to and see if it helps.
Can I ask something else?  Can anyone suggest the "correct" way to disable the wireless in order to use ethernet.   What I did yesterday was to right click the icon that says "windows is managing this wireless device" and disabled from there, and I got a message to say I should reenable when I wanted wireless again.  (That's where I had a big problem - reenabling.)  I then attached the ethernet cable and still could not get on line.  What steps do you take to go from wireless to ethernet and back again?  Once again, thanks for all the advice

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version