Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Driving Licence Renewal  (Read 6178 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Driving Licence Renewal
« on: August 10, 2009, 10:55:06 AM »

Hi,

Both me and Sue have the paper and also the credit card (with photo) driving licence.

I had noticed that the credit card one has to be renwed every 10years.Mine runs out end of December and Sue's beginning of January.

The cost for doing this........................£20 Each !!!!

I think all new applicants have to have these.We moved house in December 1999 and this is I think when they were first introduced.  >:(

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicence/DG_078070

robinsteele

• Reg Member
Re: Driving Licence Renewal
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 12:04:22 PM »

The photo license is renewable as it needs a recent photo.You should also make a copy of the item/s you send away as on a Watchdog programme recently,the DVLA was removing driving categories by error and a bloke that had a motorbike license for 30 years had the letter wiped off for that and he had to resit his bike test.I think some woman had her car category wiped of innall.
Always looking for freebie HQ

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 12:27:51 PM »

Uncle, I must admit I either didn't know, or had forgotten, that licenses need renewing.  I suppose they do want a fresh photo once in a while but  £20 sounds a bit excessive. I guess it's just one more form of indirect taxation. >:(

I've checked mine and it's good for a few years yet, but out of interest... did you get sent a reminder?

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 12:36:01 PM »

Hi 7LM,no reminder yet.According to the above link they send you one about 2 months before the actual licence expires.So I'm looking around end of October time.

scottiesmum

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 04:30:06 PM »

Replacing the old style licence with the new photo card appears to have been a crafty way of taking money from you every 10 years.    The old style was valid until the driver was 70 years of age wasn't it !  ?    This looks like another of New Labour's sinister bureaucracy  ......  checking up on people every 10 years and charging them for the privilege.

On reading about the photo card licences  out of interest, because having left the UK in 1993 it didn't apply, I am bemused to read that in 1998 when the new format came into force, it was  "due to  an EU Directive "     ::)      ......   Driving  Licences here have photos on them ......  and they are for life  !! 

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 05:14:33 PM »

Replacing the old style licence with the new photo card appears to have been a crafty way of taking money from you every 10 years.

Thats what is all about  >:(

Your actual driving licence expires on your 70th birthday.

I wouldn't mind but Sheffield (Pot hole city as it is known) has the worse road surfaces in the whole of the UK.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 05:35:01 PM »

I tend to view the photo-licences as a bit of a farce I'm afraid.

There seems endless confusion about which part matters most - the pastic card or the A4 paper sheet that comes with it.  When I was in a major crunch a while ago the attending police were, actually, satisfied with just the plastic part, which was lucky as I don't always carry the paper part.  Conversely, when I get my car serviced, it's the paper part I need to show the garage in order to get a loan car.

I suspect that, actually, the police already had every minute detail of my entire driving history on their computer systems, and what they really needed was proof of ID, which the card provided.  Wheras the garage are less interested in proof of ID but simply need to know if I have umpteen points on my license before lending me their car.

Great system, huh?

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 10:49:06 PM »

Just been to look at ours and they are due in 2019 for renewal .... :'(  :)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 11:15:19 AM »

Update,

I sent my photo renewal off last Monday complete with photo,existing licence (both parts) and a cheque for £20.I sent them by recored delivery and got the new one back today,which is a pretty impressive turn around.

Not too impressed with parting with £20 though. >:(

fudgem

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 11:22:25 AM »

I've still got the paper one I received when I passed my test, haven't moved house and have been a good girl and got no points :angel:

Hopefully it will stay like that until I have to renew at 70, if I last that long :P

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 11:24:42 AM »

My wife, like you Anne, has the old (paper only) one.

Colin

PS - if my sight improves enough to get my licence back, I wonder which categories I will get, because I had a fair few on my "suspended" licence.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 11:25:02 AM »

I've still got the paper one I received when I passed my test, haven't moved house and have been a good girl and got no points :angel:

Hopefully it will stay like that until I have to renew at 70, if I last that long :P

:)

We moved house in Nov 1999 and the photo card had just come in a few months earlier. >:(

So we had to send our licences off to change address on them them...

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 11:44:08 AM »

I've checked mine and it's good for a few years yet, but out of interest... did you get sent a reminder?

Hi 7LM,

A renewal reminder is sent out about 2 months before the expiry date.

Sue received hers on Saturday(her photo licence expires 6th Jan 2010)

I did the photo's at home and they were accepted,which save a bit of money. :)

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 11:47:14 AM »

I never get one for my old green paper licence.

Well not untill I am 70 years old.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 12:01:40 PM »

I never get one for my old green paper licence.

Well not untill I am 70 years old.

You don'rt need one (photo licence)unless you have to change your personal details

Anyone who has passed their driving test in the last 10 years,then they are compulsory.

anything