Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: O2 Broadband Connection Dropping  (Read 10779 times)

BritBrat

• Kitizen
Re: O2 Broadband Connection Dropping
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 07:30:58 AM »

Did you also swap out the cables when you had the replacement router?

Did you say you had no phone extensions?

If so take out the main phone from socket, open up the NTE box and plug router into the internal test socket WITHOUT A FILTER.
See what happens.

Does the router feel hot?

Does the power supply feel really hot, it will be hot as normal.

Edit:

I wrote the above while Jeff was replying.

The O2 box was never switched off at the socket, so it was still powered on when it was reconnected to the phone socket as the BT engineer left. It was disconnected from the phoneline for around 35 minutes.

I'll do what you're suggesting Jeff and post again sometime tomorrow morning. Thanks for the help everyone.

Looks like it is not the actual router then.

Can you wireless into the router GUI?

If so just have the router conneted with minimal connections i.e. not to computer and wireless into it to see what it is showing.

Router and one (phone cable) wired into internal socket of  NTE box with no filter.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 07:46:23 AM by BritBrat »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 09:13:01 AM »

Hi mck1nlay,

It might be prudent (for everyone) to follow the advice in another thread on this site and power-down the modem before disconnecting the RJ 11 cable to allow last-ghasp logic to complete.

(This is mentioned just as a matter of good practice rather than being directly involved in your problems.)

Kind regards,
Walter

mck1nlay

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2009, 09:59:52 AM »

Thanks Walter I will make sure to do this in future.

BritBrat the cables were all swapped the only thing that remained the same was the ethernet cable from my router to the computer.

If so take out the main phone from socket, open up the NTE box and plug router into the internal test socket WITHOUT A FILTER.
I don't have time to try this just now, but I will as soon as I can.

The router is warm but not hot, the power supply is the same.

I can connect via wireless instead and I'll give this a try later as well.

Jeff here are my stats on boot at around 8:10 and 9:30. Where the connection drops around 8:30 i recieved a phone call (which lasted less than a minute) and I could here some noise on the line, this must be related.

On boot:
Code: [Select]
Uptime: 0 days, 0:00:08
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,230 / 10,799
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.5 / 40.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.5 / 7.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / BDCM
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

After an hour:
Code: [Select]
Uptime: 0 days, 0:40:50
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,222 / 5,771
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.5 / 41.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.5 / 7.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / BDCM
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 7 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 18 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 41 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 201 / 2,596,538
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 201 / 849
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 352,282 / 431

[attachment deleted by admin]

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2009, 11:05:14 AM »

You might try doing some 17070 quiet line and ring back tests to check the interaction. If you can confirm the problems it would probably be better to report it as a phone line problem rather than a Broadband one.

Kind regards,
Walter

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 11:08:13 AM »

Jeff here are my stats on boot at around 8:10 and 9:30. Where the connection drops around 8:30 i recieved a phone call (which lasted less than a minute) and I could here some noise on the line, this must be related.

You have a phone without a filter fitted or a broken filter.

I would put a bet on it.

Maybe your wiring is not correct and someone has taken an extension off the back of the NTE box.

Take the box apart and look behind there should only be two wires connected to A and B.

Installing ADSL Filters

« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 11:24:52 AM by BritBrat »

mck1nlay

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 11:44:11 AM »

I've tried mulitple filters since this started and I've also tested the line with no phones connected. Also the drops in connection haven't always been related to phone calls. I've used the phoneline plenty of times since the problem started and as far as I can see it isn't directly related to the problems I'm having.

I'm sure thre are no extensions off the back of the box but I'll make sure again when I get home from work.

I did report the noise as a voice problem and I recieved an SMS from BT saying they had fixed a fault on my line, any noise I was hearing cleared up (apart from this morning of course). I did do a quiet line test a little later and the line was clear.

I think I frgot to mention that until I started having these problems around  a month ago the line had been stable at a good speed for around a year and a half.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2009, 12:19:39 PM »

Do you have SKY?
If so is it pluged into the phone line?

Do you have an alarm?
That sends a signal out on phone line?

Did you have anything done to the house a month or so ago?

It could be water in the phone line somewhere between you and exchange as it has been raining a lot in the last month.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 12:22:26 PM by BritBrat »

mck1nlay

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2009, 12:46:21 PM »

No sky, no alarm and no work being done. I had actually just come home from a weeks holiday when I started having these problems.

It could be water in the line but I'd have expected the BT engineer to have seen problems with the line.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2009, 10:40:14 PM »

Hi

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   1,230 / 10,799
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   1,222 / 5,771
The phone call does not appear to be anything to do with the problem IF your time is right
You say that the phone call was at 0830 for 1 min

the sudden SNR drop and resynch did not happen until at least 8:34 where it resynched at about 8000Kbps with a sligth drop in snrm to about 6db(maintaining target SNR ?)
This implies that something switched on increasing noise .The amount lost  3000Kbps would suggest that the noise source could be about 9db+
It appeared to stay at that for about 2 minutes then it seems to have lost synch again.
where it resynched at about 5000Kbps quickly lost synch again., to resynch at 5500Kbps then lost synch again .difficult to interpret the SNRM . at about 8:37 it resynched at 5700Kbps.another loss of 2300Kbps suggesting that a further noise of about 9db has been added to the line . Notice that the SNRM trace is more noisy
the whole episode has taken about 4minutes

Notice the very high rate of Bitswap during this 3 to 4 minute  episode .

Originally the snrm trace was about 6db +- 0.5 db approx . The last part is fluctuating by about  +- 2db.
So if this noise source sorts itself out without resynch you could expect to have same connect speed but with an increase in  SNRM of 20db + going up to maybe 28db with the present synch . If on the other hand there is more noise injected into the line ,so reducing the synch to maintain the SNRM then when it all clears the SNRM  will climb even higher .

a previous set of stats show you to be in a similar situation: November 8th post
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   1,282 / 6,794
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]:   0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   12.0 / 19.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   22.5 / 40.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   6.0 /7.0

How sure are you about your telephone call time and duration.?
How sure are you that sometime before the november 8th post there was no telephone call prior to you taking the stats .

if the answer is YES to both  then You have something switching on somewhere creating this noise .

I must admit I am not sure that the telephone call is part of the problem . If it was I would expect the noise to stop at the end of the call .

Now grasping at straws . Maybe next phone call will clear the line ? (if something to do with some bad joint ).

Regards Jeff

zen user

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2009, 11:20:33 PM »

Could it be your boiler?
When did you turn it on, after you got back from holiday.

Have you had any new electrical devices, did you bring anything back with you from holiday?

Have you done this test:
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm

Anyone installed new wireless security cameras near you?

Yes I am guessing, you need to keep an open mind and note what may have changed or changes when you lose sink.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 11:57:55 PM by BritBrat »

mck1nlay

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2009, 01:55:08 PM »

Jeff the time of the call could have been closer to 8:34 but I don't think it was as late as that. The duration I'm sure of, it was definately under 1 minute. Like you say if it was the call I'd have expected the problem to stop when it ended.

BriBrat Ive not purchased any new electrical devices and I didn't bring anything like that back from my holiday. I did wonder myself about this being related to the boiler. I've ruled this out though as the problem continues with it completely turned off.

There are 4 flats in my block though so it could be possible someone else has something causing interference.

I have tried to make a note of whats been going on when I lose sync but it happens so randomly even when its only me at home sitting at the computer not having done anything but browse some webpages. It's hard to tie it to being a neighbour switching something on as I can see from the logs it also loses sync in the middle of the night.

I gave testing for REIN a go this morning before I went to work. I checked how the connection was before I started and it was losing sync as much as ever. On testing I moved the radio to the router and could clearly here the expected noise. Moving the radio away the noise dropped off but then picked up again, so maybe this is a REIN issue. I'm not sure I have enough experience to tell. I'll have more time to test this evening and now I've got an idea of how it sounded this morning I should be able to compare to some extent.

Thanks again, and I'll try to keep an open mind as to what might be causing this.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2009, 06:55:10 PM »

Hi
As well as seing th occasions when you are losing synch ,have you got any records of the the the SNR margin suddenly rising to the 20 to 30 db range  ,indicating when the noise actually stops causing the problem .
Regards Jeff
zen user

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2009, 08:55:09 PM »

Did you check behind the master socket?

Could another flat be using your phone line? (needles in hay stacks) :)

mck1nlay

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2009, 10:19:00 PM »

I've checked the master socket there is definately nothing coming off it that shouldn't be.

The graphs attached are from this evening. At around 18:48 the noise on the line seemed to stop and the SNR margin went up to 32.5 and stayed stable at this till around 20:28.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2009, 07:19:42 PM »

Hi

Sorry missed  your reply

quote :The graphs attached are from this evening. At around 18:48 the noise on the line seemed to stop and the SNR margin went up to 32.5 and stayed stable at this till around 20:28.

So It recovered  for awhile  then some noise came on  again but it held synch for quite sometime before losing synch . I guess it resynched at a lower rate ?.
When you monitor its useful to see Synch and SNR margin on same graph , to see  the relationship. if possible Do not force a resynch .During investigation let it find some synch rate that it will hold without losing synch. This will make it possible to try and find a pattern to the noise . It does look like REIN . The fact that the SNR increased so dramatically indicates that this is almost certainly some external source of noise (not router problem).
Regards Jeff
zen user
Pages: 1 [2]

anything