Broadband Related > ISPs

BT Wholesale "stability option" - had any luck/any experience?

(1/3) > >>

Weaver:

See

Ref:  section 6.1 of    http://www.btwholesale.com/pages/downloads/Products/Internet/Wholesale_Broadband_Connect_wBBC/WBC_Migrations_Handbook_Issue_3.doc

and

http://www.btplc.com/Innovation/Innovation/BTWholesale/index.htm

It seems that if you have an ISP that resells BT Wholesale's DSL service, you can in theory ask your ISP to tweak the  above "stability" option with BTW. Has anyone had any experience of this?

roseway:
This has been talked about for a long time, but I didn't realise that the option is now available to customers. Thanks for the information.

It only applies to ISPs using WBC as far as I can see, and I think that most BT-based customers are still on IPStream.

geep:
Hi,
My ISP ADSL24, (Enta reseller using 21CN WBC), has a control panel which claims to offer the ability to
change Interleaving on/off and 3 levels of stability Standard, Stable, Super Stable
(=6, 9 and 12 db SNR Margin?) activated within 48 hours.

But when I tried to use it to change interleaving it didn't work.
I had to raise a ticket. (Not sure that that worked either - can't remember).

Am not very happy with ADSL24/Enta. Line used to resync every day, but I got actual speed about 5 Mb down
and 700k up.
Now been stable for 7 days, but only getting 1.5Mb actual down , and about 350k up.

Cheers,
Peter

Link Information
Uptime:   7 days, 20:40:41
Modulation:   G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   447 / 8,535
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [KB/KB]:   0.00 / 2.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   12.5 / 22.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   20.5 / 37.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   19.5 / 6.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):   0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   130 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):   9,815,747 / 98,571,599
CRC Errors (Up/Down):   415,739 / 9,163
HEC Errors (Up/Down):   710,982 / 7,899

Weaver:
When I read the above bumph from the BT Wholesale site, I emailed my favourite ISP of the day, Demon Internet and asked them to check/set the "stability option" on one of my lines to "standard" as it seemed to me that it was "stable" (ie slow), as it suffered from a permanent 9dB target SNR margin. I heard a rumour that "business" class (such as IPStream Max Premium, as here) lines might fall into this category by default.

Demon staff were v helpful, investigated and reported back to me, but seemed to get the runaround from BT Wholesale, confusion over terms. Demon staff did manually reset target SNR margin on the line in question down to 6dB (had been 9dB), which immediately produced a very encouraging increase in sync rate after a router reboot. Unclear whether this will last though, as only been up for a few hours thus far.

Anyway, so far, here's hoping that this will cure a >12 month long period of reduced sync rates associated with the overly high SNRM on this extremely long (attn 63dB) line. Currently DS sync=2528, SNRM=6dB solidly, but things will get worse as the sun sets.

H/w : Netgear DG834v3 with latest f/w, NTE2005 (Pressac-type) faceplate microfilter, plus interference reducing measures - pricey Belkin mains filter unit, plus ferrite chokes on router DC, (short) UTP DSL phone line cable, careful equipment placement away from mains and RF sources, zero extension wiring and ~1m building-internal BT drop cable length, straight in from outside world.

Weaver:
Unfortunately it didn't last more than 48 hrs. An ISP setting the target SNR margin by hand is clearly not the same thing as changing "stability option", and I/they didn't think it would be.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version