Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Done my most disliked fiddly job....well not quite  (Read 1652 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Done my most disliked fiddly job....well not quite
« on: March 30, 2014, 04:58:01 PM »

I've been wearing NHS hearing aids for some years, but there is one task I put off as long as. That is changing the tubing connecting aids to ear pieces. When one gets a new aid the audiologist makes it look so easy, as do the instructions.

Yet when I come to taper the tube end, so it will push through the ear mould, it never seems anywhere near as easy.

This afternoon I have endured, only to realise I have mislaid one of the aids. Grrrr! :'(

And I may not have bothered, save that I have a reassessment coming up and do not wish to give any excuse to say I shold have changed the tube, or had got wax, to avoid doing as asked by doctor on my behalf.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Done my most disliked fiddly job....well not quite
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 05:54:48 PM »

I remember trying to do that job for my late mother . . . What a fiddle.  :help:

Next time a re-tube was required, she told the audiologist that she was unable to do it and the b*cat also had trouble trying to do it, so professional assistance was provided.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 07:26:28 PM »

...but I like to think that rising 78 I am reasonably able. Plus my doctor friend keeps reminding me 70 is the new 50. And what of those 100+ers one sees on TV with all their marbles and someone else's too?

Punch line: I asked wife if she would have a look for the missing aid, and then felt it behind my ear.

White coat man to the fore! Please! :-X :'( :baby: :D

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 08:32:29 PM »

If, one day, you find a suppository in your ear, you will immediately realise where your hearing aid is.   ;)
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 08:39:48 PM »

Be sure, I would wash it before an audiologist handled it, or tell him (her) to wear gloves ;D

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 10:16:37 PM »

I recently replaced the tubing on my hearing aids and not long after one of the earmoulds split. So off to the audiologist for a new mould. Happy to discover the new mould comes complete with tubing fitted. It only needs cutting to size (using your old mould as a pattern) and Bobs yer uncle! Saves a lot of hassle. And it is quite fiddly for a pensioner's hands. It may be that next time I shall go to the audiologist to get new tubing fitted  but I do hate to be beaten. I shall be taking my sailing boat out this season after a year out of the water having repairs done. I wonder what I won't be able to do next!
Tony

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 10:58:13 PM »

.... so must be a new tubing material, as old type was supposed to get inflexible, and so less responsive.

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 12:36:58 AM »

Don't think it';s new material. It seems identical to the old stuff.
Tony

anything