Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Wednesday 16th chat  (Read 1519 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Wednesday 16th chat
« on: September 16, 2009, 08:23:16 AM »

Good morning  ;D

I hope all are well and are cheered greatly to see the site functioning again......thank you to all who worked hard to get things going again.. :thumbs:

Another glorious day coming and TD will be trundling and pottering in the great outdoors again.

Had some excitement in the village yesterday. A poor lost soul pushed a note through his neighbours letterbox announcing that he was going off to end his life, and was then seen heading off to the woods carrying a rope... :(
The police were called and they and a lot of the younger villagers formed a search party and went to look......helicopter and sniffer dogs to the fore.
No sign of the missing man..........who was eventually found sitting in his home watching telly and wondering what all the fuss was about..!

Poor guy has been taken off and is in hospital under observation. I don't know what assails this fellow but apparently this is not the first time that he has been involved in such an episode........a mixed up kid if ever there was.

Have a good day whatever you are up to.. :)

scottiesmum

Re: Wednesday 16th chat
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 08:31:54 AM »

TD and all who pop in later !     

What a sad event TD, hopefully the poor man will receive some help, which he appears to be crying out for  :(   

A "gentle" day for me today   ;D   I've found some more mending that needs doing so the sewing machine looks like it's going to  be in use  ::)   not my cup of tea !   Finished the book, can highly recommend it !  The Ghost by Robert Harris.   

Enjoy the day all. :)

A BIG thank you to all who worked hard to get things back to normal yesterday  :flower:

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 09:14:23 AM »

Scotty waits patiently for his mum to finish the sewing..... :)

scottiesmum

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 09:27:33 AM »

:lol:   You are clever TD, getting Scotty to sit there  :D

Oh I wish I still had my old Singer treadle, I could sew anything on that !  Sadly it was one of the things that didn't make it to France with us and I bought one of those all singing all dancing electric contraptions, which drives me mad  :-X  I keep looking for another treadle, but think they are of a bygone age now  :'(

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 09:51:43 AM »

The Singer treadle machines were lovely.
My very late mother, who was a seamstress, had one that she whirred away on for years. It was eventually inherited by Mrs. TD and it sat in the sewing room for years until about twelve years ago when it, and lots more stuff, was destroyed in a house fire.

It looked like a desk, with the treadle in the footwell, with a flat surface. This flat surface opened up and over to the left and formed an extension to the working surface and the machine itself was then popped up from a recess in the body of the desk.
Down the right hand side was a tier of drawers, all full of pins and needles, threads and stuff....and the bottom drawer had a wee partition in it to hold littles bottles of machine oil and sundry tools.
A lovely piece of furniture, and a very good sewing machine.

They still do pop up at auctions from time to time....and go at silly low prices. I suppose they are too much like hard work for the youngsters now.
Here's one for only £100......don't ask about the logistics for getting it to France... ???.....http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/-Antique-Singer-Treadle-Manual-Sewing-Machine-1914_W0QQitemZ290341573188QQcmdZViewItem
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 09:57:22 AM by tuftedduck »

scottiesmum

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 10:20:58 AM »

Your description of your late mother's machine fits exactly with the one I had TD  :)  My machine came from my late, lovely, mother-in-law who was a Milliner, when she finally retired a the age of 75 !, it came out of her shop to me.  I was very sad to see it left behind, although I did leave it good hands, for both the sentimental and useful value; but if was just not feasible to bring it  :(  Singer is a well known mark here and I have seen several Singer hand machines, but no treadles up to now.    As you say the logistics of getting the Ebay one doesn't stand thinking about !!! :'(

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 06:10:07 PM »

That Singer sewing machine was exactly like my late Mother's, who was also a seamstress.  I spent many an hour as a child playing around near the machine while my Mother was sewing.  On some occasions I used to be allowed to kneel by the machine and operate the treadle by hand while my Mother sewed away up above!  I thought I was helping her but I realised later I was just being a nuisance - but happily tolerated and encouraged for all that!  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 12:50:40 AM »

Heh..  in my loft I have my grandmas old Singer sewing machine which for some obscure reason (I cant sew) was left to me many years ago.

Its one of those where you turn the handle on the side  :o
I have vague recollections of her making all sorts on that machine including dresses for my dolls. - Despite mum having an electric one at the time.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker