Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Advice on improving router performance or upgrading..  (Read 3229 times)

ralphw

• Reg Member
Advice on improving router performance or upgrading..
« on: September 10, 2009, 03:15:04 PM »

I have just had to change from wired to wireless and quite honestly I am horrified at the poor speed and number of times the link is dropped.
At the moment I have a Belkin 54G which at times manages to struggle to 11Mbps but often drops to half that. the PC is about 17 yards from the router, across one room, across hall, through kitchen and into another room. Rewiring is not really an option as this location is only going to be for 3/4 months. Is there any way I can improve the speed, even perhaps a more powerful router, if there is such a thing?
Thanks in advance...

orainsear

• Reg Member
Re: Advice on improving router performance or upgrading..
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 04:48:06 PM »

Try changing to another channel in case there are other networks nearby interfering with yours.

If the aerial is removable (don't think it is) you could replace it with one with a higher gain.

You could also try making a parabolic reflector which may help.

ralphw

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 05:19:21 PM »

As I'm out in the sticks, there is no one within nearly 100 yds so I don't think interferance will be a problem, the twin aerials do not seem to be removable so I'll have a look at reflectors.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 05:19:32 PM »

Or you could try home hubs which avoid the use of wireless, but would cost about £60 for a pair.
(You probably won't need the more expensive very fast ones.)

Kind regards,
Walter

ralphw

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 05:55:28 PM »

Thanks Walter but excuse my ignorance but what is the difference between a router and a home hub?  Also if I look for home hubs all I get are BT ones, are these locked to BT and are there other makes out there?

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 07:00:22 PM »

So SORRY Ralph - senior moment - I meant to say Home PLUGS. They run the ethernet over your house wiring.

Here's a couple of links:-

http://www.homeplugs.co.uk/acatalog/Solwise_HomePlugs.html#a23

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?action=post;topic=5654.0;num_replies=4

Kind regards,
Walter

ralphw

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 07:24:17 PM »

That looks like a good idea, so with 2 PCs at present on wireless link to the router does this mean I will need three plugs?

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 08:03:17 PM »

Hi again Ralph,

If you search about a bit you can get a four way plug I think from Netgear which can link to a sigle one by the modem, assuming you're happy running ethernet cables from the four way to each PC. Alternatively you can usually put up to four singles anywhere within reason in a house. However I wouldn't recommend doing so in a very large house and especially not if they are fed with two or three phases or through multiple distribution boards. Note the faster home plugs are sometimes more fussy about the wiring which is another reason to keep with the slower ones - still 10 times faster than broadband though.
Kind regards,
Walter

ralphw

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 08:34:27 PM »

Hi Walter,

I've had a look around and I think I will opt for one Solwise that has three outlets for use at the PCs and a single one to go with the router.
I just did a speed check and was getting up and down load speed of around 250Kbps. :o
When wired direct I was getting 4Mbps... Now wonder it feels like snail pace.
Anyway many thanks for you assistance, I alway know that when I need help and quality advice, this is the place to come... :thumbs:

anything