Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DLA/AA Benefits Cuts !!!  (Read 10939 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
DLA/AA Benefits Cuts !!!
« on: August 07, 2009, 09:43:22 AM »

It seems the government have plans to scrap AA (attendance allowance) and the care component of DLA(disability living allowance).
I find this an absolute outrage,once again taking benefits from genuine diabled peope.I know there is quite a bit of benefit claimant abuse,and imo this is what needs addressing,not just taking it off everyone.
These greedy so and so's in government want to look nearer home if they are thinking of making cut backs.Expenses,gold plated pensions etc spring to mind.
Read the article here and if you want you can add your support to the campaign to not push it through.

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/disability-living-allowance-%28dla%29/dla-aa-cuts

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: DLA/AA Benefits Cuts !!!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 10:13:12 AM »

Disgraceful. I've signed up.
  Eric

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 10:16:58 AM »

Me too.
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 10:28:15 AM »

Thanks guys.

I get DLA,but only the lowest rate of the care component.

Anyone who needs a lot of round the clock care gets the highest rate which at present is £70.35 a week.It would be a devastating blow to have that amount taken from you.
And what would you get back in return if it was given to social services................Now there is a department that needs a good shake up imo.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 10:29:14 AM »

I've signed  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 11:14:09 AM »

A government green paper has revealed plans to stop paying disability benefits and hand the cash over to social services instead.

..  and just how much of that cash will be frittered away to the bigwigs in social services who make the decissions but dont actually do anything towards care?  I imagine much of the money will be lost in the usual 'Admin' type costs that occur in many goverment type depts.

Unfortunately the thing that seems to have gone wrong in this country is that for some it is way too easy to get benefits.. yet those who really need them are often left out in the cold.  It often amazes me (or maybe not) the type of people who seem to be able to get benefits, when there are people in the country who have paid taxes all their life who get practically nothing in times of need.

will leave millions of disabled people worse off and with less independence. 

...  and how many people will then need additional support and perhaps have to call on other services, because they can no longer cope on their own, which in the end will cause more money to come out of the pot.

Like you say UB..  they need to clamp down on the fraudsters .. or perhaps make it mandatory that you have had to be paying NI for a certain period of time before you can claim?
Many of the current systems appear to let anyone come into this country and get benefits.. with certain sectors being very well aware of how to come over here and be able to claim all they can.   No wonder theyre happy to travel 1000's of miles and pass through many other countries first. :-X
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 11:52:14 AM »

Just to add,incapacity benefit is one of the most abused benefits.This is partly the governments fault.Going back to the early 90's this was a way of putting people from industries such as mining and steel who had lost thier jobs on incapacity benefit .This way it they wern't actually on the unemployment figures.
This has now back fired as there are still hundreds of thousands of people still claiming it when there is nothing wrong with them at all.
I myself cannot claim this benefit,the reason being a couple of years before I was diagnosed with arthritis I struggled to find work and thus didn't make my self empolyed N.I. contributions.This in turn stopped me claiming incapacity benefit,even though the rest of my working life I have paid thousands in contributions.
Yet there are people who have not paid one penny into the system all their lives and are receiving hundreds of £'s in various benefits every month....... >:(

Confused

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 11:30:00 AM »

As my username indicates, I'm just so confused by all that is happening at present. I currently receive both IB and DLA. Apart from suffering from a chronic depressive illness, I have angina, asthma, crumbling discs in my lower spine, leading to permanent back pain and chronic sciatica in both legs and my groin, and have bursitis in both shoulders. I also have sleep apnoea which can lead to me falling asleep and stopping breathing at any time. The depression has led to me being afraid to leave the house most of the time, and I have frequent anxiety and panic attacks, and I'm simply becoming terrified of life itself. AS you can imagine, I have to take a great deal of medications and my doctor recently put me on morphine, in tablet and liquid forms to try and help me cope with the pain I suffer every day.

Now, we have a government who seem hell bent on stigmatizing me and people like me by labelling us 'benefit scroungers'. I should add that I'm 57 and worked for many years before illness forced me into my current position. If I lose my entitlement to the benefits I receive all it will do is cause great hardship to my family and leave me on a bigger scrapheap than I'm already on. Who,in their right minds, would offer a job to someone like me, who spends all day in pain, quivers and shakes like a jelly at the thought of going anywhere, can't sit or stand for long, and who is usually 'spaced out' just from the effects of the drugs I have to take to try to control my various illnesses?

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 11:48:55 AM »

Mr. Confused, I don't think for one minute that a person such as yourself who is genuinely unable to work will be in the slightest way affected. Put your mind at ease. Your Doctor should be on your case and the people that the department for work and pensions, or what ever they call it now, would look at your case and not take any further action to reduce any of your entitlement. If what you describe as your symptoms are true you cannot be labelled a scrounger. Put your mind at ease because you are not the people the government are even looking at.

Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

Confused

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 11:59:36 AM »

Mr. Confused, I don't think for one minute that a person such as yourself who is genuinely unable to work will be in the slightest way affected. Put your mind at ease. Your Doctor should be on your case and the people that the department for work and pensions, or what ever they call it now, would look at your case and not take any further action to reduce any of your entitlement. If what you describe as your symptoms are true you cannot be labelled a scrounger. Put your mind at ease because you are not the people the government are even looking at.

Thanks you for your words of support Silversurfer. It's just so worrying and, because of the psychological side of my illness, such things become terrifying in the mind. My own doctor has said that there is no way he would ever label me as 'fit for work' but that the people who are carrying out the so-called 'reassessments' of those on incapacity benefits etc on behalf of the government don't seem to take much notice of patient's own doctors. What kind of system is it that ignores the medical advice of those who are most aware of a person's condition? I have a feeling that this new system is going to lead to more than one person contemplating suicide through the sheer worry and stress of it, and if that happens, then the government can be truly said to have blood on their hands.  I know I'm not scrounging as I once had a great job that took me all over the country, staying in nice hotels and meeting lots of great people and gave me a good lifestyle. Does anyone think I'd have gladly given all that up? I just feel so useless and this government is doing all it can to make me feel even more so. I didn't ask to be ill, and wish I could be well again, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Thanks again, I appreciate your thoughtfulness.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 12:05:46 PM »

Hi Confused.  :)

Have a read here,and register if you want to receive their newsletter

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/home

Just to add,people who are genuinely disabled and unable to work should have nothing to fear.These measures that the government are bringing in had to happen as there is so much benefit abuse that something has to be done.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 12:38:15 PM »

I am on incapacity benefit.

I was employed for 40 years and never out of work and I still pay national insurance and taxes.

Hi Confused.  :)

Have a read here,and register if you want to receive their newsletter

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/home

Just to add,people who are genuinely disabled and unable to work should have nothing to fear.These measures that the government are bringing in had to happen as there is so much benefit abuse that something has to be done.

That is total rubish when it comes to incapacity as the main object is to get everyone off it ill or not you will fail the medical.

The people doing the medicals (Atos origin) have been known to tell an employer this person cant work and they get the sack, later the same organisation find them fit to work and stop the incapacity benefit.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 12:43:22 PM by BritBrat »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 01:01:50 PM »

Hi Britbat,

What you are stating are isolated cases,but yes you are correct about a lot of people having medicals failed,only to win their benefits back on appeal.

But there are are thousands who are cheating the system which means that the genuine disabled are being put in the same boat as them.

Confused

• Just arrived
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 01:18:15 PM »

Hello Uncle UB. Nice to meet you and thanks for that link tot he Work and Benefits site. I have registered there, but sadly, they want £18.50 to access their full range of services. People who are truly on benefits don't have sums like that to invest even in such a useful site as this. They do give few useful tips and bits of advice though.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 01:22:10 PM »

Hello Uncle UB. Nice to meet you and thanks for that link tot he Work and Benefits site. I have registered there, but sadly, they want £18.50 to access their full range of services. People who are truly on benefits don't have sums like that to invest even in such a useful site as this. They do give few useful tips and bits of advice though.

Their free newsletter does contain quite a lot of useful info.  :)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 01:24:20 PM by UncleUB »
Pages: [1] 2

anything