Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Interference from Broadband to Telephone  (Read 10778 times)

MALC

Re: Interference from Broadband to Telephone
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 06:58:36 PM »

;D
Just to thank everybody who replied to my request for help, particularly Kitz.   The line is still clear and tel conversations are as they should be.
In doing the tests on the quiet line, the only cable that was resited was from the power supply to the router.   From your suggestions I wonder if this cable could have been the culprit.   Ive not moved it again and will see if the interference returns.
I feel more confident with the router since 'speaking' to you all and will certainly let others know of your very helpful forum.   I have been reading some of the articles on your website re routers and stats and found them very good.
Many thanks
Malc.

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 07:12:05 PM »

So far so good  :)

I'm sure I have read something somewhere about some problems with the newer type of Netgear switched mode power supply unit causing interference - I think it's the newer 'slim type' PSU that was causing problems.  For interests sake can you post the model of power supply unit that you have?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 07:28:43 PM »

So glad that the problem remains clear thank you for letting us know. :)

>> the only cable that was resited was from the power supply to the router.   From your suggestions I wonder if this cable could have been the culprit.

As mentioned previously it is far more likely to have been the 'power brick' side than the router itself.  Another slim possibility could be that if the power cord wasnt perhaps properly plugged in then that could be causing it.  One of my netgears gives off a bit of hiss sometimes if its fully plugged in at the back of the router.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2009, 07:39:10 PM »

I have come accross routers which seemed to produce a lower frequency noise which out of the range of the microfilter and by that fact audible on normal telephony. the only way of checking this is if the effect dissapears with another router/modem sync-ed (dosn't have to be logged on to the isp so don't worry about resetting passwords/user names etc)

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2009, 09:56:25 AM »

Morning All,

My personal opinion on this one, is that there is still some noise somewhere causing an issue. As it has been suggested, this could be caused by power adapters and the likes.

Keep an eye on the SNR and the line speeds and see if it changes, then move cables and the likes making note of the stats.

Leo
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything