Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Thursday 23rd. chat  (Read 1266 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Thursday 23rd. chat
« on: July 23, 2009, 10:32:29 AM »

Good morning, and I trust all are well and ready to face the world.  ;D

TD is living in the past...unused to the ways of the modern world. I remember when grocery shops were run by elderly gentlemen wearing long brown coats, flat caps and a pencil behind his ears.
He would scurry around getting your tatties, eggs, veggies etc., stow them all in paper bags then use one of these bags to tot up the bill using the aforementioned blunt pencil, sucking the end of it every so often as an aid to memory and to make the thing write..
Well now, a new Asda has opened in the local bright lights ( smallish but perfectly formed) and TD trundled in there this am for the first time and bought a few little items.
I realise that these supermarkets are self service.......but I have never before come across self service tills.
No girls on the tills....ring up your own purchases....put your money in one slot, get change from the other slot.....

Hmmm, thinks TD...saving money by not employing check-out staff....but wait, if no check-out staff, why not just ignore tills and walk out without paying.
No, six unmanned tills saving the cost of six staff........but having seven staff at the door to make sure you do pay !
Beats me...  ???

Have a good day.  :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Thursday 23rd. chat
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 10:56:52 AM »

Morning all :)

If you're living in the past, TD, then so am I. Our local Tesco introduced a few self-service tills  earlier this year, and having tried them a couple of times I now avoid them like the plague. They're not really a new phenomenon - I believe Safeway (now Morrisons) introduced them years ago - but I don't like the way they make you feel pressured not to hold up the people behind while you're working out what buttons to press. >:(

Today is a small red-letter day for me. I've finally sold my late sister's mobile home, and I'm due to collect a large cheque this afternoon. The proceeds of the sale are destined for others but I'm happy with that; sorting out the home has become something of a burden, seemingly going on for ever, and I'm pleased to be finished with it. :)
  Eric

Oh Snap.

• Reg Member
  • You're as weak as the hearts you break.
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 12:13:05 PM »

Been up since 6am, since Boyfriend was at work at 7. Just waiting for him to arrive home now, and then we intend to be big kids again and go to the Sealife Center! & Look at fishies! (Including some very large ones...) Going to take my camera, see what I can get, but water + glass are not a photographers friend.

Then I have a 'photoshoot' with my friend, Kayli. She's going to model for me, and we're going to see if we can get any shots out of a few ideas we both have.
Maybe it's not my weekend, But it's gonna be my year.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 02:11:38 PM »

>>> but water + glass are not a photographers friend <<<

Put on the lens hood and press that firmly square onto the glass....eliminate external reflections  :)

scottiesmum

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 02:23:30 PM »

Allo Allo  All   ....  phew !

Had a busy morning with one thing and another but not forgetting to pop in to aggravate give clues   :lol: in between.   Just back from a quick shop, and had a giggle coming back; I was driving on a very narrow road bordered on either side by sweetcorn, it's very high at the moment so I couldn't see much (apart from sweetcorn  ;D ) .  Because it is hot and I was on a quiet road I had the drivers window open and suddenly was quite wet  !!   The irrigation pipes were in full flow and swivelled around in my direction ....  it startled me first, then it cooled me down no end, then it made me laugh .....The authorities allow foodstuffs to be watered when necessary but never the vines.  Despite the thunderstorms that bubble up we are short of rain rain !  The ground is rock hard, and the forest fire alerts are on red !    My watering cans are being kept busy in the evenings !

We have those self service tills TD  ..I don't mind them if I only have one or two things ...we also have another system whereby you pick up a machine thing  at the entrance for, which you pay for and then get it back when you return the machine, this reads the bar codes on your shopping as you collect things,   the information has automatically been transmitted to the till, and VOILA  .... it saves taking everything out of the trolley.   To avoid errors  !!!!!    if something is in there that hasn't been zapped there will be an alarm as you pass through the checkout  (then everything WOULD have to be taken out of the trolley   :D)  We also have a lovely old fashioned deli where there is a man in a white coat and a beret who gives personal service.   I know what you mean though  ......    progress     ::)

Eric,  talking about holding people up !   it's a funny thing, you hear how impatient the French are (I've not come across this, except perhaps when they are driving  :-X  !! )  but in the supermarkets they don't seem to bother; for example, if someone forgets to weigh something (and therefore the price isn't on it) or if they have merely forgotten something and then go off to sort it out .... I've done it myself and at first I used to panic like mad; but now I've become laid back about it all; in fact I think they half expect it now  :D  I wouldn't dare do it again  in the UK,  having done it just the once when we were last over, I'd forgotten something and was literally seconds .....  I nearly got lynched  :o     Regarding your  red-letter day, it's quite a responsibility you have had, not surprising that  you are pleased to be at the end of it.

Ah well,  coffee time I think  .....   enjoy the day all !      (No Unc today  ??)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 03:04:45 PM »

(No Unc today  ??)

Afternoon all. :)

Hehe TD,the self service checkout.I still have nightmares about the words..Place scanned items in the bagging area  :scare:

It sends you up the wall,I avoid at all costs.

Kate,when you mentioned sweetcorn,I thought you was going to say you picked as you were driving  :D. (Takes P.Y.O to a whole new meaning.) :D

Not quite ready yet are they? Usually September.

Been to the camping shop (again)  :( Another £20's worth).Its only money.  :'(  :D

Nice to hear you have got that 'burden' out of the way Eric.Its always good to get those matters out of the way so you can move on so to speak.

A lovely sunny afternoon here,very warm in the sunshine.

Enjoy the rest of your day.  :)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 03:22:08 PM by UncleUB »

anything