Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Should ADSL Attenuation be affected by voice calls?  (Read 12666 times)

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Should ADSL Attenuation be affected by voice calls?
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2009, 10:56:00 PM »

I'm only smug imediately after getting a result after a difficult fault or where others have been there before. I'm only as good as the next fault i get and I'm still learning and don't know it all. There's still one round the corner to put me back to earth if I think of getting cocky. And annoingly still get faults where I have to walk away where everything fine when I'm there, but I know the gremlins are watching only to play again once we're gone.

Shep

• Just arrived
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2009, 11:02:43 AM »

As a post-script to the post-script: the problem is now - finally - sorted out. It took a further engineer visit yesterday to finally get the problem nailed (and - disappointingly - engineer number 2 didn't seem to have any information at all about engineer visit number 1!). Eventual diagnosis was that a lightning protection device on the line had gone faulty. (No surprise, considering this whole tale of woe started during a thunderstorm  ;) )

Anyway, everything seems good now - I'm back down to 35dB attenuation with no wild fluctuations, and synching at high speeds again. (and as an added bonus, my voice line is now crystal clear - better than I *ever* remember it being!)

However: one more n00bie question ... I'm had a constant connection for about 20 hours now, but if I do a BT speedcheck, it looks like my IP profile is still rock bottom - i.e. 135k. So, my question is this: Does the ip profile value change by itself periodically, or is it only re-jigged each time the router does a re-synch?

Basically, I'm unsure whether I should be sitting patiently for a few days, or recycling the router from time to time to squeeze out a bit more speed.... being shackled at 135k is soooooo frustrating....

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2009, 11:13:59 AM »

It's good to see that it's been sorted at last. :thumbs:

The IP profile should rise automatically, but it can take a few days. In your case, as the change will be quite large, the IP profile should update within a day or so, but it can take up to 5 days, depending on how busy the exchange is at the time.
  Eric

Shep

• Just arrived
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2009, 11:17:45 AM »

Thanks for the quick reply - "sitting patiently" it is then! :)
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything