Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Relationship between Downstream Bit Rate and Download Speed  (Read 6369 times)

pintosal

• Reg Member
Relationship between Downstream Bit Rate and Download Speed
« on: September 14, 2009, 10:00:52 AM »

I'm on a service from Zen that gives me up to 8Mb/S.

However, given my distance from the exchange my downstream bitrate indicated by DMT is typically 4Mb/S. My router is a DG834GT running DGTeam firmware, and my SNRM is around 8.3

The result of the Kitz Max Speed Calculator is attached.

When I run speed tests, eg www.dslzoneuk.net/speedtest.php  I get 2.8~3.0Mb/S

Is this normal or should I get higher speeds?

[attachment deleted by admin]

GunJack

• Reg Member
Re: Relationship between Downstream Bit Rate and Download Speed
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 11:05:54 AM »

You could get slihtly better speeds if you tweak your SNRM down a bit, is your line stable aorund 6dB ??

For reference, I'm on a 49dB line and can usually get around 4.1-4.4 meg
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 08:58:54 PM »

Hi Pintosal,

You say you are getting 'typically 4Mbps'.  I take by that it may sometimes be a little bit more, and sometimes a little bit less, than 4?

If you're syncing at (just) less than 4, you're IP profile will be 3000, which ties in nicely with these speed test results.  If you managed to sync at (just) over 4, your IP profile would increase to 3500, but you'd have to sustain that higher sync speed for up to 5 days or more before your profile got raised.

It's the IP profile, rather than the actual sync speed, that will govern your actual download traffic rates.  There's a good description of IP profiles here:
 http://kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm

edited to remove references to calculator that poster already knows about  :)
- 7LM

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 02:14:54 AM »

If your SNRM is 'typically' around 8.3dB, then its possible that your target SNR is 9dB, which would be costing you a little bit of speed.
The calculator assumes the default  target SNRM of 6dB.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

pintosal

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 10:29:18 PM »

Thanks All

I only manage get around 4Mbps by turning off the router at night and on again in the mornings. Overnight the number of errors cause the router to re-synch, usually to around 3.7Mbps.

I've tweaked the SNRM, and during the day it's around 8dB. Right now, it's 10:30pm and my SNRM has dropped to 2db but the router is still holding synch at 4.54Mbps - just!

As I don't use the internet overnight this seems to work well for me.

So it is unlikely that I could sustain the higher synch speed for 5 days or more.

From your replies I guess that I'm getting about as much as I can, and my best bet is to tweak the SNRM in the router until it loses synch in the early evening.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 10:53:18 PM »

From what you say, and the occasional sync at 3.7 or thereabouts, it does sound like a 3000 profile is what you're going to get.

If you want a higher speed, you may get it by improving your wiring if it's not already perfect.  For example, if you have extension wiring, then just disconnecting the ring wire can make quite a big (in some cases huge) difference.  For detailed advice on wiring improvements, see:
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

If you embark on that tact, one thing I always warn off ('bin bitten myself!) is to go slowly with any experiments.  If you resync your router too many times too quickly (possibly ten times in a single hour), BT's Dynamic Line Management (DLM) will assume your line's unstable and increase it's SNR margin, resulting in a big drop in sync speed.  Play it safe, try one thing at a time and, between each experiment, distract yourself by watching at least one complete episode of whatever's least boring on the digital TV channels. :)

pintosal

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 05:00:36 PM »

Thanks sevenlayermuddle. Good advice.
Although I have an IPlate, I'll have ago at tidying up the phone wiring systematically.
Also I limit myself to one router re-boot per day max whenever I am playing around.

PS If your forum id was seveRnlayermuddle, we might call your advice on TV channels the Severn Bore :-)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 07:39:37 PM »

Although I have an IPlate, I'll have ago at tidying up the phone wiring systematically.
Sorry, I didn't know (or forgot) you had an IPlate, so I'm not sure you'll gain much advantage from wiring changes, unless there's some blatant fault like  a broken conductor somewhere?  Maybe some of the proper experts would like to comment?

Also I limit myself to one router re-boot per day max whenever I am playing around.
That's probably a bit extreme,  but you clearly get the message.  Though I'll just add, for the benefit of anybody else seeing this,  that it's not just reboots... anything that involves frequent resyncs can upset DLM, such as unplugging/plugging the RJ45 cable too many times, or even reconnecting with the router's GUI too many times.

PS If your forum id was seveRnlayermuddle, we might call your advice on TV channels the Severn Bore :-)
:lol:

MartinGoose

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 09:48:53 AM »

Quote from: pintosal on September 21, 2009, 05:00:36 PM

That's probably a bit extreme,  but you clearly get the message.  Though I'll just add, for the benefit of anybody else seeing this,  that it's not just reboots... anything that involves frequent resyncs can upset DLM, such as unplugging/plugging the RJ45 cable too many times, or even reconnecting with the router's GUI too many times.

Is this correct about continuous use of the router's GUI? RouterStats is using my Draytek's GUI every 20 seconds without any apparent harmful effect.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 10:01:49 AM »

Is this correct about continuous use of the router's GUI? RouterStats is using my Draytek's GUI every 20 seconds without any apparent harmful effect.

I think he was referring to using the GUI to re-sync the router. Just accessing the GUI won't do any harm.
  Eric

MartinGoose

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 10:22:15 AM »

I think he was referring to using the GUI to re-sync the router. Just accessing the GUI won't do any harm.

Rereading the post, I think you are right.