Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: slow broadband, and cutting out,  (Read 10691 times)

swampiesue

Re: slow broadband, and cutting out,
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2009, 09:18:39 PM »

Line state   Connected
Connection time   0 days, 0:15:24
Downstream   640 Kbps
Upstream   448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI   0/38
Type   PPPoA
Modulation   ITU-T G.992.1
Latency type   Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)   17.4 dB / 11.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)   63.0 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)   14.4 dBm / 11.9 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)   11
Loss of Signal (Local)   16
Loss of Power (Local)   0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)   9180 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)   1667 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)   nil / 0
Error Seconds (Local)   2
      Hide Details       

These are the line stats,  I will have to wait for a short while for BT speed test, not 3 hours yet.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 09:24:49 PM by swampiesue »

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2009, 09:24:28 PM »

The bandwidth figures were, just checked again and on my line stats, is was disconnected, then 640/448. I assume they come from within my home hub.

Sorry I am not really very good with computers, so assume they are my upload and download figures.

You are doing fine :)

Now just to clarify, the 448/1056 (up/down) figure was obtained when you had removed the faceplate and were using a micro filter plugged in to the test socket?

You now have connection rate of 448/640 (up/down) - did you replace (and use) the filtered faceplate to get this 448/640 connection rate?

swampiesue

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2009, 09:33:02 PM »

These line tests are with the face plate back on and everything back as it was before I tried it with the separate micro filter.

swampiesue

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2009, 09:51:05 PM »

Your DSL connection rate: 1408 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 135 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 85 kbps

I keep losing connection again so If I disappear you know where I have gone :(

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2009, 10:03:03 PM »

If you were seeing a consistently good connection speed by using the micro filter into the test socket it does sound as if there could be a fault with your filtered faceplate.  If this is the case, although the connection speed would be fine, due to your recent instability the BT computer that controls and monitors your line would have adjusted your IP profile to a very low level to try and maintain stability.  This IP profile can take a while (days) to re-adjust itself and would be responsible for your very low throughput speed.

There's nothing wrong with leaving the faceplate off for the moment and using a micro filter into the test socket, with phone and modem plugged into the micro filter to see if this improves things.

There could be other things at play here and as you have mentioned there may well be a line fault.  Hopefully the visit from the engineer will sort things out for you.

swampiesue

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2009, 10:07:21 PM »

Thanks, that is great ;D you have put my mind at rest, did not want to be hit with a big bill from BT, and it looks like things will settle once the main socket is sorted ;D ;D ;D however as my speeds did not improve even with the micro filter plugged into the main socket, when checking with thinkbroadband I can only assume it is due to the IP speed adjustment, or there is in fact a fault somewhere else too. 
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 10:14:28 PM by swampiesue »

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2009, 10:34:48 PM »

The only other thing that springs to mind is if you have an extension wired in to the back of the faceplate, and there is a device on that extension line somewhere causing problems.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2009, 10:42:24 PM »

hi
when checking with thinkbroadband I can only assume it is due to the IP speed adjustment, or there is in fact a fault somewhere else too.

This will sort itself out when your profile has caught up. Even though you had better connection speed the proffile takes time as mentioned by Orainsear.
Regards Jeff
zen user

swampiesue

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2009, 03:23:11 PM »

Hi all,

Voice engineer came out yesterday, and put a new ADSL main socket on to the wall, and we also have replaced the telephone extension plate.  Waited till lunch time, speeds showed no improvement at all, so rang BT broadband to tell them I had, had a fault, it had now been fixed and could they look at my IP. Broadband seemed sure that there was still a fault, I assume they had been looking at my line stats, ant the fact I had lost connection a couple of times, and that my speeds were still no better. They told me they would call me back. Less than 1 min later the hub light went off and I lost connection again.  :o When I received the call back, without even mentioning the fact I had been disconnected again, they told me they were sending an engineer to my home. This time a broadband engineer,  :( Now I am really confused.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2009, 04:20:52 PM »

Broadband Engineers target more on faults causing broadband issues.

They will always bring a laptop and modem with and will connect up to your line and run tests which can look for faults.
I don't know much on this however our own resident engineer, Ezzer may be able to comment on the difference between the two, if he's around?
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2009, 08:44:58 AM »

HI swampiesue,

I believe most BT broadband engineers are provided with broadband test equipment which they have been trained to use.

In simplistic terms, a BT phone engineer will make sure that there is an electrical circuit between your house and the telephone exchange upon which a narrow band signal will work to provide speech, fax and slow dial-up modem services, whereas a BT Broadband engineer will investigate many things including both permanent and intermittent spurious noise caused by radio frequency interference, cross-talk between different telephone circuits, and high resistance line faults. In other words the more complicated things to do with transmitting a much wider frequency spectrum (i.e. broadband signals). BT Broadband engineers are trained to investigate the telephone line in much more detail. As these things are more complicated BT broadband engineers may well have to make several visits. Very difficult faults are often "escalated" to highly experienced engineers such as Ezzer. In my experience these types of fault can easily take a month or even longer to cure.

It's important to realise that all engineers are tasked with many faults one after the other and, except in special circumstances, are most unlikely to be looking after your problem continuously. That is why that if you can provide and record evidence, using the test software often discussed on this web site,  as well as keeping a BT activity record, the fault(s) can sometimes be more quickly repaired. In these circumstances an ISP who has a proper on-line fault log that you and they can access can be a major advantage. Those on very long lines which are more prone to faults or poor performance will usually benefit more from such ISP's services, even though they appear a little more expensive.

It's also worth noting that the very cheap ISP's do not have the resources to to conduct these types of investigations and will probably try to ignore the more complex faults. BT are dealing with thousands of difficulties on the vast copper network they operate and do rely on the ISPs performing basic tests; BT also expect you and the ISP to inform them if the fault has not been fixed.

Kind regards,
Walter

swampiesue

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2009, 11:59:20 AM »

Hi Engineer came out this morning and could not find a fault, MY IP just needed to be put up, as I had requested on the telephone,  :wall: it has been reset at 1 meg and is now working fine,  :clap:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2009, 01:13:29 PM »

Excellent :)
  Eric

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2009, 01:19:17 PM »

They told me they would call me back. Less than 1 min later the hub light went off and I lost connection again.

It's highly probable that they were performing some remote diagnostic tests, and during these tests your modem/router can lose connection and resynchronise.  They probably should have mentioned this to you.

What kind of socket did the engineer fit?  Has an iPlate been installed?

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2009, 01:28:34 PM »

if your getting 128 actual speed and yet a higher speed quoted by the router then you have a throttle back possobly caused by previous issues on the broadband stats, once the problem is no longer there the dlm at the exchange would after a few days ok ok running should lift the throttling automaticaly, if not , check with your isp if they can see a throttle back and if they can arrange to get this nudged manualy.

This type of throttle back is different to the type you get when you've used the account a lot in the isp's  eyes, the clue is 128 or 256k speed which points to the dlm in the exchange.

I liken it to driving on the motorway when you fear theres black ice on the road, so although you may be able to do 60-70mph you travel at 20 so as not to fall off the road altogether until your confident its safe enough to speed up
Pages: 1 [2]