Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Birds  (Read 1562 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Birds
« on: June 04, 2009, 12:06:53 AM »

During the hot weather I have been doing work in the flat I'm building (out of the sun  ;) ) , It was only when I noticed a pile leaves I realised I had company, It was a robin sitting on her nest a few inches to where I had been working for the past four days, It's a wonder with all the noise and dust I had been making it was not frightened away.

On the outside on the roof I have to finish bedding an end 'ridge tile' (thus sealing it of to the out side ) , But I have more birds nesting under the ridge.  :'(
I think it's a House Sparrow, I thought the young had gone but I have seen birds going under the ridge .

How long do they nest for. ?

How can I be sure when they have finished nesting. ?
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Birds
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 06:37:08 AM »

According to the RSPB, house sparrows generally nest until August, and robins up to the end of July.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 12:44:26 AM »

According to the RSPB, house sparrows generally nest until August, and robins up to the end of July.

"house sparrows generally nest until August"
OMG  :(  I will have to change my work plans then, I have just put steel scaffold up to work on the gable end wall to put a 'Glazed vent ' in just below the open ended ridge tile where they go in.
Do you think I will disturb them with my drilling / banging on the wall, I wanted to get this job done so I could take down the scaffold to use on the workshop I'm building.
I could then use a long ladder to bed the ridge tile down with mortar when the birds have gone.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 06:27:43 AM »

Birds seem to be amazingly tolerant of mechanical disturbances, so I think it's reasonable to carry on in the way you suggest. However much I love birds, I don't think you could really be expected to do nothing in the area for three months. Thousands of people cut their hedges in the middle of the nesting season, and that has far more significance for birds.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 01:29:05 PM »

Talking of birds I have 'in my procession' a baby blackbird which Im not quite sure what to do with atm.

I was driving home from a BBQ last night when I saw the neighbours cats in the middle of the road.  As I pulled up on the drive I briefly saw a black bundle go shooting into the road closely followed by the cats who were stalking it.
As I got out of the car I saw the white one pat what ever it was and went over to investigate... and it was what I think is a blackbird.

There was no sign of the parents and because it was dark, I did what I thought was the best thing and brought it inside and then went to get an old hampster cage I had in the shed in order to keep it safe from my cats.

The bird was very scared but no signs of damage.. and its been taking bits of cooked sausage every few hours until its crop is full.

This morning Ive had a quick scout around for a nest.. and Ive also put it outside where its safe in the bottom part of the cage in the hope that I would see some sign of its parents.  Ive discretely observed from a distance for about an hour or so but no sign so Ive brought it back in again to give it some more food.

Just phoned up the RSPCA to see what they recommend.  She said try putting it outside again at about 3 o'clock in the hope that the parents may hear it.
Other than that she said theres nothing I can do other than feed it on demand with cat food and go get a pipette from the chemist to give it water.

I cant just let it go - otherwise the cats would have it for sure.

I dont know how old it is... its just loosing its down and some adult feathers are there - its at that scraggly looking stage.
According to the woman at the RSPCA she reckons it will only be a week before its able to fly on its own.. as its able to flap its wings... and run pretty quick.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 02:01:39 PM »

That's an amazing bit of caring which you've taken on. :)

From the RSPB website, concerning blackbirds:

The chicks are ready to fledge at 13-14 days, but if the nest is disturbed, they can leave and survive as early as nine days old. This ability to fledge early is an important anti-predator adaptation. The young birds creep and flutter from the nest, and remain in nearby cover for the following few days.

They are flightless at first, but within a week will have learned to fly. By this time, they begin to experiment with foods, learning by trial and error what is edible. As their skills and confidence grow, they begin to explore their parents' territory and range more widely. The young become independent three weeks after leaving the nest, and leave the natal area shortly after. They are not driven away by the male.

Which confirms what the RSPCA said. I rather think that the best thing would be to take it to an area where there's plenty of vegetation but no cats and leave it to find its own way in the world. That may sound hard hearted, but it seems to fit in with the way that blackbirds grow up (very quickly) and would be better for it in the long term.
  Eric

anything