Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Don't try to book a train ticket online today! GRRRRRRR!  (Read 1790 times)

camallison

• Kitizen
Don't try to book a train ticket online today! GRRRRRRR!
« on: June 04, 2009, 10:16:48 AM »

I have just wasted over an hour trying to book a rail ticket via Trainline.com and FirstGreatwestern.co.uk and had my credit card(s) rejected every time.  The site is also running very slow.  When I eventually got through to Mumbaishire (must be the same help line as BT!), they explained that ALL credit card transactions are being rejected!  Try again in 2 hours was the suggestion.

Not only can they not run a railway, but they can't take payment either.

:comp: :whip: :shoot:

[EDIT]  Whichever train company site you try to book tickets from, they are all run by The Trainline, which is owned by ........ Virgin.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Don't try to book a train ticket online today! GRRRRRRR!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 10:34:36 AM »

Just to add a little about train travelling and booking online.

My friend visits his daughter in London quite often.In all the times he has gone down he has never paid the same price.It has always been different.
The Sheffield to London line use to be run by Midland Mainline and he said it was an excellent service,one of the best run in the country.They then lost the franchaise to someone else and now he says the service is awful.He has to travel to Doncaster to then connect to London.

He is that fed up he now goes down in his car.

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 11:31:13 AM »

I am considering going by car for my occasional trips to London also.  We have a village rail bus (stops 300m from our house) that [doesn't] connect with the local rattler trains - it always just misses the train.  Then it is another hour before the next one.  That is, if the train is running on time or running at all.  So, since both rail bus and local train are unreliable, I have to get someone to run me 22 miles to the main line station.  If they come to London with me, guess what ....... there's no parking left at the main line station.

So, car it is.

What a load of wasters the railway companies have turned out to be!

Grump over.

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 11:47:22 AM »

Completely agree about train companies being a waste of space. In fact this applies also to all the utility companies to a certain degree, but let's not go there !!!!!

I recently tried to book a trip to Blackpool in July for 2 adults, travelling midweek and returning at the weekend. A friend had a good look for us online, but was only able to come up with something around £92 each. So we went to our local railway station (Weston super Mare, i.e. a seaside resort) and asked what trains were available. To the dismay of me, SWMBO and the ticket clerk there was nothing available to get us from W-s-M to Blackpool that could be booked in advance. Rather than fork out £180, we have now decided to go in SWMBOs Smart car, and will probably be able to do the return trip on a single tank of gas.

Your mileage may vary !!!!
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"