Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Dial-up not working after ADSL activated  (Read 3786 times)

canon

• Reg Member
Dial-up not working after ADSL activated
« on: May 17, 2007, 09:34:00 PM »

I'm having problems with getting dial-up to work after a line was activated (at another location from my own) with ADSL Max last week.
Neither the Metronet back-up number or the original Fasthosts number will work. The latter was fine until ADSL was installed with a router etc.

The dial modem is connected directly into the filtered BT master faceplate phone socket which was installed ahead of ADSL and didn't affect dial-up at that stage.
There is a DECT phone on an extension hard wired into the master faceplate.

When a dial-up is attempted, you can hear the dial tone and then the dialling , after that, silence until it times out.
I have a similar set up at home with no problems, I can have ADSL and dial-up connected at the same time. Both routers are Netgear DG834, mine a V2, the new one a V3.
Any suggestions please?
Terry.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: Dial-up not working after ADSL activated
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 09:53:08 PM »

Hi Terry.

The Dial-up modem needs to go to an un-filtered socket eg. the same as the phone, Try that first, can you dial the ISP number from the phone to see if you can hear the modem tones at the other end ?.
Check all your settings .

Michael.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 10:07:19 PM »

As long as the phone works from the same socket, then theres no reason why dial up wont work on the line.

Therefore possibly the settings on the PC have changed to accomodate adsl?
>>  The latter was fine until ADSL was installed with a router etc.

Did you install any router/ISP software on the PC that could have disabled the old settings?

Other things to perhaps look at is does the phone have call waiting or is it no withheld/ex-dir (have to prefix 1470).

Are there any error messages at all from the modem?

Have you tried making a brand new connection?
http://www.plus.net/support/dial-up/setup/winxp.shtml
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

canon

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 10:30:53 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll check them out when I go there tomorrow.
I don't think any software was installed by router CD - it was just an aid to configure the router, no call waiting either.
The modem could be kaput I suppose (device manager says it's ok) and it does initially dial out. :wall:
Terry.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 11:34:37 PM »

Good luck :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 07:30:45 AM »

The Dial-up modem needs to go to an un-filtered socket eg. the same as the phone

Just a correction on this. It's the phones which are filtered, not the ADSL connection. All phone quipment (including dial-up modems) must be filtered. By connecting the modem to the telephone side of the filtered faceplate, canon is connecting correctly.

Eric
  Eric

canon

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 12:23:04 PM »

Well I've tried all the suggestions and there's still a problem. I didn't say yesterday that the phone line has call barring but that was definitely set to  OFF.
When I plugged in a phone to the master phone (filtered) socket and dialled the ISP, it sounded ok -  all the usual dial up noises and the ISP modem responding.
Tried disconnecting the ADSL router completely too  and a completely new Windows dial up connection, but no go.
I can only think the modem is broken, for £10 it's worth putting in a new one unless I can borrow a USB one.

I'm not too worried as it's only for back-up; the ADSL connection is excellent (Sam's checker say 164M from exchange - you can almost see it from the office concerned). D/L attenuation is only 11db and noise margin 12db. BT profile is 7150.
If some new knowledge on this comes up, let me know - I'll report when I get another modem.
Terry.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 11:28:17 PM »

The Dial-up modem needs to go to an un-filtered socket eg. the same as the phone

Just a correction on this. It's the phones which are filtered, not the ADSL connection. All phone quipment (including dial-up modems) must be filtered. By connecting the modem to the telephone side of the filtered faceplate, canon is connecting correctly.

Eric

Oop's I'll blame that strong bottle of beer I had.    :-[
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 11:38:20 PM »

Hi cannon .

One trick to try before up buy a new modem is if you have a spare slot is to change your modem over to that, Delete the modem settings, move it, re-configure it again and test it.

Good luck.

canon

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 04:30:52 PM »

I've got it sorted - it was a dead modem. I confirmed by using a friends laptop to dial up.
It was just a little confusing that it failed just as I had activated ADSL on this PC.
New modem installed - nice to have a dial connection as a back up - you never know when it might be needed!
Terry.

anything