Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Changed Router = Conection Speed dropped  (Read 2580 times)

Freedom

• Just arrived
Changed Router = Conection Speed dropped
« on: May 16, 2007, 12:01:38 AM »

Quick qustions, I replae me old Asus AAM600Ev with a Netgear DG834G but my connection speed has now dropped about 1000 kbps

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 3968 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 47 db 13.5 db
Noise Margin 9 db 25 db

Why has it dropped?

Edit 1. Ive also connected the Wireless router into the Master Socket rather than extensions running all the way upsairs.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Changed Router = Conection Speed dropped
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 01:12:12 AM »

Hi Freedom and welcome to the forums.

Since your router is syncing at 3968, and your SNR Margin looks ok...  I rather suspect that you are being limited by your IP profile.

To check this for certain you need to perform a BTw Performance Test .

Its very possible that at some point during the switch-over and changes of the 2 routers that a low sync occured which is what your profile will be now based on.  If you remain sync'd at your current speed for 3 days then the DLM will pick this up and should give you a new profile of 3Mb.

What sync speed did the Asus give you?

----

Something to bear in mind - 3968 is the highest speed in the 3Mb profile - If you can get your router to sync at the next stage (which is 4000) then your profile will be increased to 3.5Mbps giving you an extra .5 of a Mb.

I dont know how much your SNR Margin varies throughout the day, but try doing a resync during the daytime rather than evening.  At 9dB there should be more than sufficient spare margin to keep the Netgear happy.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Freedom

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 01:32:27 AM »

Thanks for the Quick Reply.

I done the speed test on the Bt website and I got this.

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 2000 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  3968 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1815 kbps

So my Bras Profile is Limiting my Spee, so hopefully that will go up in a few days.

But why is my router now syning at a much lower Speed, my Asus AAM600EV was Syning at 5000, but when I changed to the Netgear its as you see at 3968.

What has caused this?

Edit. My Snr now seems to be stable at 11-12
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 01:36:07 AM by Freedom »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 02:08:32 AM »

When you connect to the exchange your router will always sync at the best speed it can allowing for something called the Target SNR.
The default Target SNR is 6dB, therefore when you boot up your router, the DSLAM at the exchange and your router negotiate the best speed whilst still allowing a 6dB SNR Margin.

Now SNR varies throughout the day - generally speaking its probably at its worst in the evenings when more people are at home doing things, and more external electrical items are switched on.  Therefore if you sync (connect) your router up at this time, then the negotiated speed will be lower than that when your SNR Margin is higher. (normally in the wee small hours/mornings).

The fact that your SNR Margin is now 11-12 shows that your line does vary. If you connect your router up at a time when your Margin is high - and then you will connect at better speeds.

However the warning of this is that sometimes you may sync at a good Margin, but this margin isnt sufficient to keep your line stable.  A lot of routers will start to have problems when the Margin drops below 6dB... and this is where the Netgear comes into its own, because it has a good record of being able to keep hold of the connection right down to 0dB and sometimes into negative figures.

Unless you have a bad line (I notice that you have 47dB atten so your line is longish), generally 12dB would give you more than enough margin on a netgear to cope with higher speeds.

You could try a re-sync now and see what speed it connects at.  If your line is a bit unstable it may well drop out later tomorrow evening and resync again, the trick is getting to know when your own lines margin is highest and lowest and working the time you connect up around that.

Theres more info about Target SNR and SNR Margin here:-
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 02:16:39 AM »

Forgot to answer this

>> So my Bras Profile is Limiting my Spee, so hopefully that will go up in a few days.

Yep it should do :)

To get an IP profile of 2000 kbps then at some point you must have sync'd at 2816 kbps or below.

However theres also a nasty side effect of BTs IP profiles.. and that is that its not unknown when someone is "playing" with their router and if they disconnect it quickly a few times, then it can fool the DLM into thinking that you are having problems maintaining a stable connection.... and therefore it adjusts your profile downwards. :/

If youre interested, theres a list of the associated sync speeds and IP profiles in the table at the bottom of this page:-
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/maxdsl2.htm

-----