Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Possible traffic shaping?  (Read 3122 times)

shape

Possible traffic shaping?
« on: January 02, 2008, 02:31:49 PM »

Hi all,
        Things seem to be improving after kind advice in another thread :-)
Thank you all.  ;)
Although not ideal, i hold  good sync all day till it get's too noisey and the router loses the signal, but holds the dsl connection, this happens at tea time. (the speedtouch just flatly refuses to lose sync, much to my benefit)
I then wait till about 7.00 p.m then re-boot the router, then re-boot it again in the morning to get a higher sync.
This has driven up my bras profile.
I've looked at Kitzs page and see this....
4000 kbps 4512 kbps 3500 3584 Up to 3.5 Mbps
Now i'm currently sync'd at 4608kbps, should this not give me a better ip profile than 3000kbps?
Do you also think i'm being traffic shaped?
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh137/shape_04/trafficshaping.jpg
Cheers.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Possible traffic shaping?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 02:56:48 PM »

hmmm
Youre showing one of the "new assured rate" IP profiles.
Do you have BT Vision by any chance?

As regards to increases in profiles it can take up to 5 days for things to catch up.

Your IP profile isnt controlled by your ISP and therefore doesnt form part of any traffic shaping. 
Your actual throughput speed will show the effect of shaping, but its hard to tell because it could also be exchange or ISP contention.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

shape

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 03:06:24 PM »

Yes Kitz, I migrated to BT solely for the vision.
I performed this test.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/11992860181432882762.html
It was detailed one, on port 80.

I've never downloaded above 0.4 at anytime of day or night since they put me on the vision.

shape

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 03:18:42 PM »

It's just a weird thought, but could I be surfuring on the assured rate service?
So congestion, but on a 500kbps service?
http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/results.php?t=1199287841&v=3155584

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 05:31:21 PM »

thats pretty grim.

TBH Im not sure how that new assured rate profile thing is supposed to work, but afaik that shouldnt be your total speed.

I was going to suggest trying the port 80 test rather than the 8095 but it appears you have already done so.   I think a complaint perhaps is in order to your ISP.   I'm not sure what response you will get though :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

shape

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 09:56:21 AM »

Hi,
   Taking on board your advice, and after the e-mail the isp agent sent me yesterday, I sent this mail this morning to the senior man at BT.
I have blanked the top mans name and agent for obvious reasons.

Dear Mr Topman,

I migrated to BT at the beginning of October following your companies advertisement campaign as a single provider of services including telephone, broadband and your flagship product of Vision.

After the ten-day training period and receiving a good sync of 5.5meg, BT Vision was activated on my line.

Unfortunately Vision would not work, and this was later discovered to be a faulty drop wire passing through trees.

The visiting Engineer moved my drop wire to a newly erected telegraph pole across the road,

This in turn developed new problems to my service.

Your agent in the Gosforth call centre a Mr Clueless sent me various routers to try and rectify the problem to no avail.

Another visiting engineer performed an E-side pair swop, which along with the router I privately purchased greatly helped my lines inability to hold sync.

I currently lose my broadband connection every evening, and your agent believes the problem may lie with the D–side pair, but reports there are no spare pairs on that telegraph pole.

Although there are on the original pole that fed my service trouble free since MAXADSL was enabled on my exchange.

Therefore he suggests I am to choose between a fixed rate service possibly ranging from 500kbps to 2000kbps, but he states this will not support Vision or remain on the service I have at the moment. Which is not performing as it should nor will support Vision.

This suggestion read to me, that yes there is a problem on your service but we are not bothering to do anything more about it!

Sir, I ask you is it fair to have had a problem free MAXADSL service since it was enabled on my exchange, then answering an advertisement campaign for an all in one product provider, end up in the situation where my broadband will no longer stay sync’d for a day.

Vision will not work, nor can I use the broadband telephone, which I’m currently paying an extra £6 for talk all day?

All that I am asking for is my service to be returned to how it performed faultlessly in the past, and therefore receive the services I’m currently paying for.

Is it not possible to be assigned an agent who will proactively engage with wholesale to actively return my service to a stable one?

I eagerly await your comments.

I received this wordy reply...
I am sorry you have had problems. I will ask one of our senior service team to look into it and see what can be done about your broadband connection.

Tee Hee, Man of a few words.
He CC the reply to a senior manager.

Time will tell.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 10:25:51 AM »

>> Tee Hee, Man of a few words.
He CC the reply to a senior manager.

In all fairness - he does probably get a lot of people writing to him, and I have found that he normally directs it on to the top bod in the right dept.

Good luck and I hope you hear something soon.

-----

anything