Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: VirginMedia  (Read 3335 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
VirginMedia
« on: April 28, 2009, 10:14:52 AM »

VirginMedia...............don't you just love them..... :no:

My monthy payment to them was due yesterday. I give no thought to this as it is done by standing order off of a low credit limit credit card which I keep especially for this purpose. It is the only card I use on the webbie and the low limit ensures that if it is hacked, I don't stand to lose too much.

Had a email from Virgin today to the effect that my yesterdays payment had failed and that if I did not pay pronto my days on the internet were over.
Could not understand this as there is always enough there to pay the dues, the card  being reduced to a zero balance by me at every month end.

Tried to get on the Virgin webbie to rectify the situation only to be told after log in that I could not proceed any further as there was an issue with my account and that I was persona non grata.

Phone them up, to be told that for a reason unexplainable my card details had been wiped from their system....they could not tell me why.

TD made a manual payment there and then off another card, and is back on line for the coming month.
TD took the opportunity to demand his MAC.

Much discussion ensues....................result is that TD has two free months from Virgin and a promise that my line speed will up from 2.5Mbs to 7.6Mbs come first of May this year.

This gives me more time to investigate other ISPs, sort out this router issue and change in a couple of months time.

What a mess, but at least I am still on line and free for June and July......

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: VirginMedia
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 10:32:59 AM »

Oh dear,don't you just love these companies(NOT). Pay up or else (I would have taken the 'or else' option)

Its the old chestnut.......Its been stopped but no one knows why  >:(

Mention the words 'MAC Code' though and suddenly untold promises and goodies are thrown at your feet.

Hope you get what's promised come  the 1st of May............................

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 10:55:11 AM »

This seems to be the nature of big companies in retail businesses. They have so many customers that it's pretty well inevitable that they'll mess up the details of some of them. And when it happens they can suddenly get very arrogant and tell you it's all your fault. In your position TD, I think I would accept their gift of a couple of free months and then move to a smaller, more competent ISP. Zen and Newnet would be at the top of my list.
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 11:02:38 AM »

>>>I think I would accept their gift of a couple of free months and then move to a smaller, more competent ISP. Zen and Newnet would be at the top of my list.<<<

;)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 11:08:56 AM »

Personally I hate regular payments from credit cards; you have so little control when they go wrong.
And never ever do it from a debit card linked to your bank account; if that goes wrong you could end up changing bank accounts.
Direct debit is generally much better.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 02:44:46 PM »

>> I think I would accept their gift of a couple of free months and then move to a smaller, more competent ISP.

Totally agree :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 10:15:25 AM »

A wee update.

Phoned VirginMedia again today and asked for a MAC..........not wanting to hang around with them any more.

Because they have wiped my account ( and hundreds of other as far as I understand from the conversation )......they say they have no record of me and therefor cannot issue me with a MAC "until the accound is reestablished".... :no:
That may take "some time"........ :(

Have started "reestablishment" process.......how long that may take I know not.... :-\

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr........ >:(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 10:17:38 AM »

grrrrrrrrrrr indeed  :no:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 10:22:05 AM »

What a bunch of clowns >:(
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 10:30:32 AM »

btw TD

They have to supply you with a valid MAC within 5 working days of your request. Its OFCOM rules - no ifs or buts about it.
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 10:33:54 AM »

What a carry on,now you can see why they are at the bottom of the isp ratings.  >:(

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 10:53:58 PM »

Mention the words 'MAC Code' though and suddenly untold promises and goodies are thrown at your feet.

Yes, as mentioned by me before, and I got £20 per month taken of my monthly bill plus 24/7 FREE phone bill and calls to 01 & 02 numbers..