Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Routerstats  (Read 2812 times)

jeffbb

• Kitizen
Routerstats
« on: April 04, 2009, 12:01:15 PM »

hi
Just some information about the errors recorded in relation to uptimes. This is an extract from a link in the routerstats forum.doing investigation on the interpretation of routerstats .

I have just reconnected PPPoa using the reconnect facility .
The only changes were to the wan PPPoa entries  in the routerstats page  and  the bytes transferred and the IP address.

None of the errors or counters were reset

This has some implications . Because none of the errors are reset by the router then using the WAN pppoa up time with the error figures can be misleading. Showing high error counts for short up time .

If you reset the target SNR then
Reed Solomon,corrected errors ,uncorrected errors  are reset to 0.
HEC reset to 0
SF and SF errors reset to 0  (SF used for WAN uptime NOT PPPoA)

Note ES,SES ,CRC,LOS,LOF and ES are NOT reset

These only get reset after a reboot of the router .

As mentioned before its possible to have a resynch (cause not known) shown by changed Synch rate .
This   resets the the SF counter (used in WAN uptime calc NOT PPPoA)and SF errors and nothing else

This means that  PPPoa time > WAN time .

Reading the stats is NOT straight forward . They have to be read very carefully.

The LAN uptime is the total time the router has been up.
The full link is http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/forum/forummain.htm

Regards Jeff
zen user

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Routerstats
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 02:13:31 PM »

Just a thought - PPP is usually the ISP bit - its not a full resync.

I know on several routers that Ive had doing a PPP reconnect only disconnects from the ISP realm and not the exchange.
If this is the case then a full disconnect or resync is required in order to reset the stats from the dslam.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 02:51:38 PM »

The reverse can happen too. More than once I've had a re-sync which happened quite quickly and the PPP session wasn't dropped. The router reported a WAN uptime which was greater than the ADSL uptime.
  Eric

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 04:49:39 PM »

Hi

Just over an hour ago my pppoa session must have been lost as I have a new IP address and NO counters are reset by the router .So with only an hour showing I appear to have had 149  rs uncorected errors + other errors  .But in fact this is wrong There has been NONE(RS unc was 149 early this morning others errors   also unchanged ) and confirmed By looking at The TERMINAL results all errors show  zero for last hour . So the PPPoa time is NOT really any use for working out  error rates Unless you can be sure there has NOT been a reconnection. Even the WAN up time is misleading  as even when that is reset the errors below are NOT reset.

ES,SES ,CRC,LOS,LOF and ES

So the conclusion is that to assess the stats one must look at ALL the figures including those From the Terminal facility .I must admit until I looked into this properly I wasn't aware of these timing inconsistencies.  ???

Regards Jeff :)

zen user