Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: TalkTalk - Supernatural magicians ! ?  (Read 2110 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
TalkTalk - Supernatural magicians ! ?
« on: March 07, 2009, 08:30:07 AM »

Hi All,

I assume Car Phone Warehouse are getting desparate to gather new business for their newish LLU in THCN - Cranleigh.

Their sales staff insist that they can provide an ADSL2 service with an actual speed of about 2,000 kbps on a line of about 8 km and where others have proven that they don't stand a snowflake's chance in hell of so doing !

Kind regards,
Walter

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: TalkTalk - Supernatural magicians ! ?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 11:14:16 AM »

lol - this wouldnt be the first time Ive heard similar.... its not just TT that do it.
Certain ISPs will resort to these sort of tactics in an attempt to get a sale.   Ive had a bulldog 'foreign' sales person try it on me personally promising speeds that arent/werent technically possible.

If they dont actually hold the line then they should be getting the info from the BTw database.
Would be interesting to see what the BTw database says about that particular line....  you can find out what info the BTw database holds by using the adslchecker
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

stevie

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 01:55:49 PM »

I know the pure mention of considering Carphone Warehouse as an ISP would lead to a major row/divorce with my Missus is enough for me to shy well away.

She entered into a phone contract....(Much against my advice)... they promised all sorts, Yes, yes, yes & yes you can do this & that.

Lo & behold, No, No, No & No you can`t.

Big row in the shop, but hey-ho She`d signed a contract....The "I told you so"...didn`t go down too well....lol

Any promises from any saleperson should be re-inforced in writing by them & at least you can get them on mis-selling.

I was at home when a phone call came in from Virgin Media, informing me that they`d upgraded my line & could offer me XYZ, would I like them to upgrade the service they were supplying? It sounded like it was from an Indian Call centre & I pointed out that they didn`t actually supply any services to me & said that it was illegal to call me & I would inform the Police & refer criminal charges (bit of BS) if they ever called again, never had another call...lol

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 03:34:51 PM »

Hi Kitz,

Your (SamKnows) line checker can't recognise a RH postcode as being part of the Guildford / Cranleigh 01483 exchange group.
It says phone number and post code exchanges don't match. (See picture below.)

Using http://www.adslchecker.bt.com/pls/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
the following (number edited) is reported:-

BT Wholesale
THE ADSL BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

For Telephone Number 01483277xxx on Exchange CRANLEIGH

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that it is VERY UNLIKELY you will be able to receive fixed 512Kbps or 256Kbps broadband service due to the very long length of your telephone line. However, your order will be accepted if you still wish to order. An engineer may need to visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our initial test on your line indicates that your line may not support a reliable ADSL Max broadband service, with current technology. However, an order for 250Kbps broadband speed will still be accepted, but an engineer may need to visit who will, where possible, supply the service.

Your exchange is planned to have ADSL2+ by 31st March 2010. Our initial test on your line indicates that your line may not support a reliable ADSL2+ broadband service, with current technology. However, an order for 250Kbps broadband speed will still be accepted, but an engineer may need to visit who will, where possible, supply the service.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

Thank you for your interest.

It seems that BT W do believe in snowflakes !

CPW want to get real, understand what 8 km line length means in terms of ADSL and stop pestering the population to expect the impossible !

As I keep a record of ADSL performance hereabouts I know that two services 1.5 km closer on the same road to the exchange obtain about 700 & 800 kbps throughput speeds.

Kind regards,
Walter

[attachment deleted by admin]