Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: router with settings for limiting bandwidth on a specific port or lan IP  (Read 2813 times)

tuk

is there a router with settings for limiting bandwidth on a specific port or local IP ..traffic shaping
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 10:54:35 PM by tuk »

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum

I might be wrong but you probably need to look at "pro" model routers.

They are around for handling video-conferencing and VoIP.....I think Zyxel do one.

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress

The Draytek 2820 with the 3.3.0 firmware should handle the line and requests better than most *cough zyxel cough* models.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

orainsear

• Reg Member

Yes it's possible, and I actually use this following set up myself.

I use a Linksys WRT54GL running Victek's modified version of Tomato firmware which, amongst other things, supports QoS and bandwidth limiting by IP.

Be aware that the WRT54GL is only a router, so if you are planning on using it with an ADSL connection you will need a separate modem to bridge/half bridge/PPPoE to PPPoA bridge.  I've been playing around with the different methods of connecting various modems to the router for a while now (it's not always particularly straightforward) and I've recently discovered that on my line a DG834Gv3 working in bridge mode with the router handling the PPPoE (PPPoEoA really) connection works very well.  If you wish to go down this route I'd be happy to help out.

anything