Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Monday 9th Feb Chat  (Read 2097 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Monday 9th Feb Chat
« on: February 09, 2009, 08:03:24 AM »

Good morning all,

Starting today off another year older.  :(

Slight covering of snow overnight,which hopefully will melt away later.

Just chilling out today after all the excitement yesterday of being 'the birthday boy'  :D

Have a good day whatever you are doing.  :)

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
Re: Monday 9th Feb Chat
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 08:08:22 AM »

Morning Uncy, and congrats on your recent birthday.

To all others who may pass this way - please be careful if you have to venture out - it feels real cold again here in the south west.

And enjoy your day.

TTFN
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 08:35:09 AM »

Morning everyone,

Dull here but not looked out of the window yet so not sure if it's still raining as it was last night.

I think food shopping (ugh) is on the cards for today, had a bad night last night so feel like death warmed up this morning... might feel better after a cuppa  :)

Have a good day everyone whatever you're up to and I echo toulouse's comments, stay safe (and warm) if you have to go out.

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 09:36:03 AM »

Good morning  ;D

Chilly, very chilly, but bright and sunny.
Forecast gales and rain later.  :(

Have a good day.  :)

scottiesmum

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 09:42:37 AM »

ALL  !

Warm and wettish here, we had rain overnight .... I'm keeping my eye on your weather  - just  keep safe and warm.   :)

fudgem

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 11:08:58 AM »

I've just taken my car in for a service, the main roads are clear but still compacted ice in the side roads, don't like driving on it at all :no:

Hope it doesn't snow again before I get it back

scottiesmum

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 11:33:08 AM »

:o :o  we've been put on Orange alert for more strong winds starting at 6 pm today up to lunch time tomorrow ....  so will batten down the hatches later on ...  last time it was Red alert, so I suppose there's some comfort in that !

fudgem

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 12:18:58 PM »

When we were driving up from the border, towards Bordeaux, we saw great swathes of trees flattened by your last gale, it will take a long time for recovery, so I hope this next one doesn't cause even more damage

scottiesmum

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 12:29:57 PM »

That will have been the Landes region Anne, it took a real battering the weekend 24th Jan. The flattened forests you have seen  as a result of the hurricane that hit us full on in 1999, the Landes had the tail end at that time, and then the latest one,that particular area   being mainly forested of Pine which are not very deep rooters and the terrain there is very sandy, so they would have gone over like dominoes.   There were thousands of hectares of forest devastated in 1999, and then again last week,  a lot of replanting has been done, but it will, as you say,  take years to get the forests back again.   We'll just have to wait and see what this next lot does and keep our fingers crossed !
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 10:11:36 PM by scottiesmum »

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 01:04:55 PM »

Hope you had a good birthday UncleUB, and able to spoil your self a little.

I went to see Valkarye last night. Ok as a film, some of the editing was a bit odd particuarly at the begining. For a brief moment the shot would change angle for no reason, not for effect or to lead on the story line. At least it wasn't as dizzying as the first 10 mins of Elizabeth 2  ???

If you get to see the film, have a slightly closer look at some of the motor bikes, the first time I briefly noticed one of the sidecar combinations under the camoflage paint was definatelty a modern frame. And later a similar combination just for a moment, (and again dispite being sprayed in camoflage) display's a bright shiny manufactures badge. Excuse me for being picky but I don't think the german army was using Hondas in 1944.

The performances were ok, nothing of particular note howerver the film was obviously concentrating on the story which a supprisingly few number of people know. I knew some aspects but I wasn't aware of the home defence force and the measure this was used and the degree the coup was so far across the ministries and other parts of the country. Appears things were much closer to succeding than I ever thought

Worth watching for what could have all so easly have become a very directly significant part of our history. It was good to see such a range of ages in the audience.

Oh and although I didn't meet them at the time one of the actors had their isdn converted to dsl by yours truly  ;)

So many films I want to see at the moment, probably "Doubt" next

scottiesmum

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 01:18:42 PM »

Ezzer,   my current email alerts on Amazon  include Valkyrie.   Being interested in WW2 and having read about Graf von Stauffenberg in the past, I am keen to see this,  I would never have noticed the motorbikes   ;D but I shall look out for them.  Interesting to see that Eddy Izzard is also in this and the once gorgeous Terence Stamp   :)

My other "wants" on the alert list include   Defiance  which is based on a true story as well, Daniel Craig and Jamie Bell (Billy Elliot) play the main characters.    Che (I want both Che 1 and Che 2)    with Benicio Del Toro,   and I've had Slumdog Millioinaire earmarked long before its success at the BAFTA's.  Following last night awards  I also like the look of Doubt and will add that to the list ....  and  Milk (another true story) with Sean Penn   ...    I think I'd better start a DVD fund   ;D
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 01:24:50 PM by scottiesmum »

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 01:35:25 PM »

Graf von Stauffenberg - when I lived in Germany between '82 and '88, his descendants were hated by the locals and publicly snubbed.  ..... and that was by educated people.  Amazing!

Colin