Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Loss of sync  (Read 2238 times)

sfxdude

Loss of sync
« on: April 20, 2009, 11:51:07 AM »

Hi everyone!

Got a bit of trouble here. Our internet has been working fine for quite some time now, untill saturday morning sometime around 2am when the internet seemingly went down, couldnt sync and status in the modem showed 'Link down'. It's at this point that I should point out I'm with (here comes the collective groan) ... Orange. I gave them a call on Saturday evening, went through all the questions after which they said that someone would phone me wednesday evening.

Now - since then I have discovered that it is not only just me that is having these problems, seemingly the whole street is without internet, I'm not sure the full extent of who is affected but at least 5/6 houses are without internet.

Someone who is with AOL has also contacted them and they are allegedly sending an engineer round today, but I'm not staying hopeful! I appreciate that theres probably not a lot that anyone on here will be able to do, just be interesting to know what people think has gone wrong (I presume it's something at the exchange?).

Thanks for all your help!

PS: I am not at the same location as my other posts on this forum: this unfortunately isn't related.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Loss of sync
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 12:06:00 PM »

Seems like an outage of some sort.

Are you synced to the exchange, ie, can you get router stats or are you not connected whatsoever.

Is the @ light on the livebox Flashing slowly, if so you are synced but not connected.

If no @ light then there is no sync and a possible LLU outage at the exchange is possible.

Does the exchange have Orange LLU?

Click here if you don't know how to find out:-
www.samknows.com/broadband

Now I don't know if Orange have a status page but I couldn't find it?

« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 12:09:11 PM by jid »
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

sfxdude

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 12:47:39 PM »

There are no stats at all: all it says is 'Link Down'.
The light goes between slow flashing and fast flashing, though no change from the 'link down' status. We are on a LLU exchange (01256).

Orange status is on a phone number, I don't think there are any issues (allegedly) but I'll check...

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 05:53:19 PM »

I can't see anything obvious on BTs MSOs for your area code..

>> seemingly the whole street is without internet

That seems to suggest its localised - possibly a cut line between the exchange and your home, which could account for why theres nothing on the MSOs.   However if that was the case then I'd also expect your phone lines to have problems too.

Since your router cant attain sync, and its affecting multiple ISPs its most likely to be something at either at the exchange or on the way to the exchange or the exchange backhaul link
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sfxdude

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 08:08:18 PM »

Yeah, the voice is fine. A bt openreach van came to one of the neighbors today although no progress as of yet. Will keep you updated! :-)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 06:01:14 PM »

Let us know the outcome.

An unusual one this...
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather