Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Organ Donors  (Read 2156 times)

dave.m

• Kitizen
Organ Donors
« on: November 17, 2008, 10:52:46 AM »

Organ Donors.

A panel of experts has rejected plans to presume everyone consents to being an organ donor unless they opt out.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7729009.stm

But the prime minister supports the "presumed consent" system, and has not ruled out a change to the law.

Would that be the same “presumed consent” that we have not given to put fluoride in our drinking water.  >:( >:( >:(

OK! so we have fewer donors than the rest of Europe but that situation should be addressed differently than just 'assuming' that everyone has given consent for parts of their body to be shipped all over the country to waiting recipients, upon their demise.

I know that advertising does not convince everyone to wear seat belts so it probably wouldn't work regarding organs, so another line of 'attack' must be thought up. Surely there are some whizz kids in Downing Street who are paid a 'lorra' dosh to solve these problems.

dave

Re: Organ Donors
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 11:21:39 AM »

I think the sensible solution would be to have a box that you tick (or don't) on your driving license and passport. I know that won't cover everyone but it'd help surely?

fudgem

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 03:59:04 PM »

This is a very emotive subject.  My gut instinct is that they can have anything they want when I'm dead but if I lost a cherished child and found they had been reduced to a shell without a by your leave, I am sure I would be devastated.

I really don't think there is an answer which will satisfy everyone, but the opportunity is there to register, before a terrible happening, so that you don't have to make a decision while in the depths of grief

« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 08:10:47 PM by fudgem »

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 07:39:02 PM »

Hi
If you are a donor CAN YOU BE SURE that your best interests will be served when the time comes ???. Is one persons life worth more than maybe 3 o4 beneficiaries?
Jeff :(
zen user

poppy

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 08:02:47 PM »

In my adult life I have donated a fair few gallons of blood and plasma (got the 100th donation whatnot). I was also a potential bone marrow donor although now I am too old.
However, there is not much in this world that you can truly call your own except your body. I am vehemently against presumed consent and if it was ever brought in would be the first to opt out.
It's not for reasons outlined above, but simply a matter of principle.

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 08:12:01 PM »

Hi
If you are a donor CAN YOU BE SURE that your best interests will be served when the time comes ???.
Jeff :(

Jeff,
Unfortunately you would have NO say as to what happened to, nor who you would like your organs to go to.

neither the donor nor their family can choose who receives their organ when they die.

This applies even if an individual had expressed such a wish while alive

The above quote is from this new report last April which makes a mockery of the situation:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7344343.stm

I think that if they had let the mother be given the organs from her own daughter, there would have been no bad publicity, but the 'jobsworths' have to have the last word.

Sorry but mine aren't much use to anyone (even me) so if I had to I would opt out.

dave

anything