Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Wonder If This Includes UK Troops Too?  (Read 2409 times)

dave.m

• Kitizen
Wonder If This Includes UK Troops Too?
« on: November 16, 2008, 08:30:00 PM »

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/081116/usa/iraq_us_military

Or are our forces going to be left in the lurch.
Nice of the Iraq government to give permission for US troops to be withdrawn.

dave

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Wonder If This Includes UK Troops Too?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 09:20:47 PM »

How many do we have there now; I thought Afghanistan was the main area of deployment for UK troops these days?

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 10:29:42 PM »

This was 29 March 2008:

The current number of UK armed forces in Iraq was put at 3,800 in a parliamentary written answer released yesterday, having stood at 7,100 last year

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 10:40:02 PM »

And it's now 4,100 according to the BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7731971.stm

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 08:48:54 AM »

I was recently chatting to someone who's (now) just gone back to Afghanistan for an 8 month tour. He said nothing much happens in Iraq now for UK forces and its rare (if ever) that they leave the base other than for "agreed" patrols.

Boring was the word he used and he's no gung-ho idiot - he's done 22 years and has just extended for 2 more to avoid the credit crunch/recession.

Afghanistan, according to him, is a whole different ball-game however and its becoming increasingly clear that we're not going to "win", even if we did have the required equipment/troops (which we don't).

Personally I wonder WTH we're doing there. War on terror? Don't make me laugh, if we were even remotely serious about that we'd be dealing with the real source of Islamic fundamentalism - Pakistan. Pakistan has ALWAYS been the problem, not Iran, Iraq or Afghanistan. They've got nukes though so we have to pretend that's not the case.

scottiesmum

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 09:55:25 AM »

Rizla, I've wondered exactly the same about Afghanistan too  and agree with you re: Pakistan.   Having a leader (well ex leader now - Musharraf) who was pro-western   :'(  and was seen to be doing something positive gave, a good excuse  to ignore them; the fact that the US don't make noises about Pakistan's  and India's nuclear capabilities speaks volumes. The invasion of  Iraq was a criminal act as far as I'm concerned. The fact that the power of old USSR couldn't tame  the "terrorists" in Afghanistan should tell the rest of us something.   Perhaps they should take on Churchill's  ' Jaw Jaw not  War War' . 

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 10:19:45 AM »

Well the Russians with their "might" never won in Afghanistan so I think it's a forgone conclusion we won't have much sway there either!
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 10:21:15 AM »

Musharraf wasn't pro-western I'm afraid. The USA threatened to "bomb Pakistan back to the stone age" if they didn't co-operate after 9/11 so he didn't have a lot of choice - even with nukes. That made him the enemy of most of the Pakistani population and especially the ISI, who IMHO have been behind every military coup in Pakistan. Dangerous people to have as enemies and frankly I'm amazed Musharraf is still alive.

The world would be a far better place if two "organisations" didn't exist - the ISI (Inter-services Intelligence agency) in Pakistan and AIPAC (American-Israeli Public Affairs Committee) in the USA. Sadly they do, and while they do, there will be wars. ISI has been rogue for decades and AIPAC gives Israel carte blanche to continue their genocidal policies in the West Bank/Gaza. The result is religious hatred and that always brings war.

This isn't to say we're not responsible too. The UK (IMHO) is directly responsible for 1 million Iraqi civilians dying because there is no way that Bush could have carried USA public opinion for the invasion of Iraq without UK military support being offered. It is my fond hope that one day I'll see Blair, Brown and all the rest of the UK cabinet on trial at the Hague for crimes against humanity. I know I'm being hopelessly naive here but I can hope and I will hope.

scottiesmum

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 02:45:15 PM »

Musharraf wasn't pro-western I'm afraid.

Hence my  :'( Icon  ....      :)

It is my fond hope that one day I'll see Blair, Brown and all the rest of the UK cabinet on trial at the Hague for crimes against humanity

Mine too;  but like you, I'm sadly sure I won't see it !