Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Quick master socket help  (Read 1794 times)

Rahat

• Reg Member
Quick master socket help
« on: October 24, 2008, 07:36:16 AM »

I have two sockets in my house and im not completely sure as to which one is the master socket. There is one socket downstairs which has a test socket when opened but there are no wires connected to any terminal. The other socket upstairs has wires connected to the terminal, including terminal 3 which i have opened. The socket upstairs does not have a test socket however.

So can you please tell me which one the master socket is?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Quick master socket help
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 07:49:23 AM »

The one with the test socket inside should be the master, but if there are no wires connected to its faceplate yet you have a working extension, then the extension must be wired incorrectly. I guess that you have an old-style wiring arrangement with each socket directly wired to the incoming line pair, and someone in the past has replaced the original master socket with an NTE5, but hasn't reconnected the extension properly.

This isn't necessarily a problem, and there's nothing you can do legally to correct it yourself. But the extension should really be rewired to connect to the NTE5 faceplate. BT will charge you for doing this work, so if you don't have a specific performance problem it's probably best left as it is.
  Eric

anything