Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sync : 8064 !!!!!  (Read 10266 times)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Sync : 8064 !!!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 06:45:13 PM »

Well I use Speedtouch filters all over the house, as pictured in a previous pic I posted a while back.

The ring-wire has already been removed and that made quite a big difference to Sync speeds mainly.

It seems the Sky box isn't the problem and I have posted a graph from RouterStats and a DMT snappy

*Edit* It just dropped as SNR went to 6.8dB and errors were through the roof! Posted the bits and bobs as attachments:(

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 06:56:19 PM by jid »
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 06:58:43 PM »

I feel a 'Groundhog Day' moment coming on............................ :-X

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2008, 06:59:13 PM »

I feel a 'Groundhog Day' moment coming on............................ :-X

Waters were right after all Unc :lol:

Kitz the second filter caused the connection not to be able to sync :-\

Had to take it out.

All i can think is the line is noisy and cannot handle such low Target SNR.

Would it be worth adjusting Target SNR in the morning to see if I can sync at the 8064kbps with a bit more SNR there?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 07:47:45 PM by jid »
Kind Regards
Jamie

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2008, 10:09:35 PM »

I suspect that your wiring may still need some sorting out.  Are you in Wales by any chance?  A gap in your spectrum is around 882 kHz which is the broadcast frequency for BBC regional (Wales).

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2008, 10:30:17 PM »

I suspect that your wiring may still need some sorting out.  Are you in Wales by any chance?  A gap in your spectrum is around 882 kHz which is the broadcast frequency for BBC regional (Wales).

South Wales yes

On AM radio at that frequency there is a station of some sort so is that what the dip I'd then?

As for extensions could I pick a high quality one up on the highstreet or would I have to go online?
Kind Regards
Jamie

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2008, 10:44:45 PM »

>> Kitz the second filter caused the connection not to be able to sync

adsl filters are low pass - and only filter out the adsl signals on the phone side.  The adsl side of the filter passes through with all frequencies unhindered.
Did you put the filter in the right place? - ie the line that filters the sky only.. and at the point where  you plug the skybox in to the phone line.

Hopefully you didnt plug the router in to the adsl side of the 2nd filter - theres no way that will have worked since adsl frequencies will have already been filtered out by the first one.
If you set up the filters correctly - it should not stop you from being able to sync.  (Unless you had a problem that was going to occur anyhow).

>> Would it be worth adjusting Target SNR in the morning to see if I can sync at the 8064kbps with a bit more SNR there?

I'm not going there.  Been there done it before several times... you should know the drill on that one.
Periodically your line becomes unstable in the evenings... reboots in the morning eventually mean that at some point in the future you will end up loosing sync again because the margin is too low :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2008, 11:05:06 PM »

No the router was upstairs as always and the filter was in the right place.

I am going to get hold of some CAT5e cable and re run the old flat type cable with that.
Kind Regards
Jamie

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2008, 03:55:03 PM »

My father had issues this morning with the 8064 sync so I have brought it down to 7616 now to see how the SNR is handled.

Target is around 9dB now so will see how it goes. No errors yet so...

With regard to extensions, would it be alright buying this and cutting the end plugs off and hard wiring instead?
http://www.clarity.it/acatalog/ADSL_Installation.html#btxt15

I though 30m as I might use the left overs to redo the wire going to the router as well.
Kind Regards
Jamie

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2008, 08:08:00 PM »

Would this be any good:-
http://tinyurl.com/6h3xvk

Its in B&Q so I thought it would be easier to get hold of?

Also found this from maplins, how many cores would I need though?
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=68

« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 08:47:22 PM by jid »
Kind Regards
Jamie

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2008, 02:03:16 PM »

I'm not sure about the quality of the other 2 - unless I missed it - or unless someone with more knowledge than me can comment.

But the clarity one is cat5e quality
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2008, 03:55:05 PM »

I think that you should avoid the FC688 Maplin cable - I don't believe it's twisted pairs which is really what you need.  As already suggested I'd buy the Clarity kit, but if you really want to buy from Maplin get the CW1308 cable which is the the same specification cable that BT use and is a little slimmer in diameter than CAT5e.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2008, 04:00:12 PM »

I think that you should avoid the FC688 Maplin cable - I don't believe it's twisted pairs which is really what you need.  As already suggested I'd buy the Clarity kit, but if you really want to buy from Maplin get the CW1308 cable which is the the same specification cable that BT use and is a little slimmer in diameter than CAT5e.

With that Maplins cable, which one would I need 4 or 6 core.

I am trying to shop around tbh as all I need is the cable and not all the other bits that Clarity are offering.

Also, with the 8064 sync the target SNR was 8, I have now managed to sync with 8064 with 8.6dB of SNR and am now testing from the Master Socket. There were a large amount of errors this morning from the master so therefore I am going to have to do some work on the extensions ::)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 04:07:30 PM by jid »
Kind Regards
Jamie

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2008, 07:06:45 PM »

Clarity also sell the CAT5e cable on it's own.

What is it exactly that you are planning on doing?  Are you going to pretty much replace the current wiring like for like or are you planning on making some changes?  Before you do anything you should sit down and plan out what you are going to do.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2008, 07:28:49 PM »

Clarity also sell the CAT5e cable on it's own.

What is it exactly that you are planning on doing?  Are you going to pretty much replace the current wiring like for like or are you planning on making some changes?  Before you do anything you should sit down and plan out what you are going to do.

I am going to replace the wiring that is currently flat type plug in extension to CAT5e hard wired extension. I don't plan on updating wiring anywhere else as it is already CAT5e.

I don't plan to make changes to the phone system at all...

I think I will go for the 30m kit as some of the other bits will come in handy:)
Kind Regards
Jamie

Pages: 1 [2]