Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Tuesday Chat (30th Sept)  (Read 9032 times)

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
Tuesday Chat (30th Sept)
« on: September 30, 2008, 07:50:06 AM »

Morning everyone,

Last day of the month, where did the rest of September go?  Cold here too this morning, after a nice sunny day yesterday comes as a bit of a shock.  KATE please send some of your sun over and then we can turn it down gently to bring us into autumn  ;)

No visits to the tip planned today here, but watch out later this week as I'm still clearing out.....saw what you said yesterday Yorkie, I'm sure it's true as no matter how much I clear out....there seems a never ending supply of things I don't need  :o  Wish I could get out early enough to do a boot fair but then in these parts, apparently now with the influx of people from other nations flooding the boot fairs here, not much sells apart from DVD's and the like....well that's what I've been told. 

Hope you all have a good day today. 
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Tuesday Chat (30th Sept)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 08:12:10 AM »

I looked out of my window a few minutes ago, and was gobsmacked to see more goldfinches in my garden than I've ever seen in my life. They were on the feeders, on the shed roof, in the cherry tree and on the telephone wires. There was barely standing room on the shed roof. There must have been 200 or more. Beautiful birds, and an experience which I'll treasure.

Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 08:29:32 AM »

Lovely birds Eric.I need something to cheer me up this morning,I am sooooooooooooooooo mad.Let me enlighten you.I went to the dentist yesterday to have my temporary crown removed and the new permanent one fitted.Waited for 40 minutes and then after getting it fitted it wasn't right.It is one of the two central front teeth and the new one left me with a gap. :o.So he put the old crown back(bear in mind he had cut it to remove it) and said we'll get it remade and see you in two weeks.Well that rally p***** me off.Just had some breakfast and the crown has split in two and now half is still in situ and the other half has been fished out of my shreddies(don't you dare laugh)
Needless to say the dentist is going to  get  :shoot: it when he opens at 9am.Sue has an appointment at 2pm today so I will go with her.
Right,the first person to whistle, 'All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth'..................... :D
Why me,why me.

scottiesmum

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 08:39:22 AM »

Aaaaaaw  Unc .....   your having a bad morning !       cuuldn't resist the whistle  though    >:D     Hope you get sorted soon .....

Here's some thing to cheer you up   ..... :sun: :sun: :sun: :sun:     -  well Chrissie  DID ask me   !!  :angel: :lol:

Take care ....keep smiling   .... oooooops   !!   :angel: :angel:

Eric, what a  lovely start to the morning ....  all those feathered friends ....  it's made me smile  ... thank you .....

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 10:07:43 AM »

Oh poor Uncy, feel so sorry for you, hope you get it sorted soon...dentists and me don't mix so I try and scoot past the subject if I can  :-X 

Eric how wonderful for you to see so many goldfinches, never seen any in my garden, though it's a wonder we see any really being in a built up and not so environmentally nice area.  We still keep feeding the little feathered friends though and they still keep eating...costs us a fortune but we wouldn't be without the little angels even if "it's only" sparrows and starlings.  The latter are so funny in the bird bath though, they empty it in no time when they bathe whilst all around stand under to have a shower  :D

Thanks for the  :sun: Kate....can see a little brightness here after a few spots of rain....still cold tho...but one can't have everything.  (Why not...? >:D)

fudgem

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 10:39:57 AM »

raining and miserable here, but it's warm and dry inside, and I don't actually have to go out

Sorry to hear about your tooth Unc, I had a similar experience once when my front crown broke off in a french loaf, and I was a week away from my dentist.  Hubbie had a peaceful week tho cos I didn't want to open my mouth ;D

I just put my bird feeder up at the weekend, and the bluetits have discovered it already, I love to watch them while I'm washing up.

@Chrissie, if some of your 'junk' is still usable, try getting rid of it through your local freecycle group, http://www.freecycle.org/    It's better than the tip

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 12:14:39 PM »

Back from the dentists,he's done a running repair till next Monday.It was suppose to take two weeks,its amazing how you can make things happen quicker when you want to.Getting back to the temporary crown,TBH I would have been better sticking an anti acid tablet there,glad I'm not going to wedding this weekend. :D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 07:46:57 PM »

>> There must have been 200 or more. Beautiful birds, and an experience which I'll treasure.

Gosh what a wonderful experience, that really must have been a sight to see.

That makes me recall an incident from my childhood that has stayed with me since, and thats when we lived in Australia seeing a whole flock of 100's of wild budgerigars flying then swooping down and landing on the trees.
Everywhere I looked, it seems like I could see budgies. 

I cant remember where we were at the time, possibly on holiday/day trip as all I can recall is that it wasnt "home", (must ask Mum). 
My memory may be playing tricks on me, but I'm sure the noise of their chirping as they landed was almost deafening.

Chrissie hope you didnt mind me mentioning this - I did actually think twice about my posting...
But oh what an awesome thing to see all the colours in the wild of these little birds that have become such loved pets for many in the UK, and I hope that despite your recent sad loss of Percy, you can share what was at the time a young girls delight at such an experience that has stayed with me for many many years, and the tale makes you smile too as was intended.

@ UB

Hope the dentist gets your tooth sorted ASAP.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Oh Snap.

• Reg Member
  • You're as weak as the hearts you break.
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 10:43:05 PM »

Today I spent three hours on the phone to my best friend as he was upset, and then came to visit mum :)
Back to work tomorrow.
Maybe it's not my weekend, But it's gonna be my year.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 10:56:02 PM »

My shed roof later in the day, when the goldfinch invasion had calmed down a bit.

Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 11:21:27 PM »

Do you normally get a lot of goldfinches in your area eric? 
Ive just done a quick google and it seems like this time of year they do apparently tend to flock outside their breeding season.
They can be encouraged to keep visiting if you put out food to their liking...  but I bet you're already on the ball and have perhaps been doing some googling of your own:)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Oh Snap.

• Reg Member
  • You're as weak as the hearts you break.
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 12:30:05 AM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7643561.stm

this makes me nervous, since one of my best friends, who I refer to as my big brother, is in merchant navy, and the next time he goes away, he'll be sailing around africa :S
Maybe it's not my weekend, But it's gonna be my year.

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 06:10:59 AM »

>> There must have been 200 or more. Beautiful birds, and an experience which I'll treasure.

Gosh what a wonderful experience, that really must have been a sight to see.

That makes me recall an incident from my childhood that has stayed with me since, and thats when we lived in Australia seeing a whole flock of 100's of wild budgerigars flying then swooping down and landing on the trees.
Everywhere I looked, it seems like I could see budgies. 

I cant remember where we were at the time, possibly on holiday/day trip as all I can recall is that it wasnt "home", (must ask Mum). 
My memory may be playing tricks on me, but I'm sure the noise of their chirping as they landed was almost deafening.

Chrissie hope you didnt mind me mentioning this - I did actually think twice about my posting...
But oh what an awesome thing to see all the colours in the wild of these little birds that have become such loved pets for many in the UK, and I hope that despite your recent sad loss of Percy, you can share what was at the time a young girls delight at such an experience that has stayed with me for many many years, and the tale makes you smile too as was intended.

@ UB

Hope the dentist gets your tooth sorted ASAP.

Oh Kitz of course I don't mind you mentioning that, but very kind of you to think of me.  I love budgies and although I'd never have another one because I just couldn't put myself through this terrible emptiness and hurt I feel, I love to see them.  It must have been such a wonderful sight, think it would be quite exciting for people like me who have never seen them in the wild....I wish they would do a programme on them as you never seem to see much about budgies on television.  I must admit I never reaslised just how intelligent they were until I had Percy.  I know parrots are intelligent but budgies definitely equal them...well my baby did.  He knew what you said and would respond to being told what to do.....he never ceased to amaze me and he was so loving and so funny with things he got up to.  Thanks for sharing your experience of seeing them in the wild Kitz....I doubt I would ever forget something like that either.

hugs x 

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 07:50:40 AM »

I've never seen budgies in the wild, but it must be an amazing sight. They're quite lovely birds. My friend Soo's mother used to have an aviary in the garden with about 20 budgies, and they were a source of never-ending delight. Of course that's not the same as having one special bird who you really get to know and love.

There are some pretty amazing bird displays to be seen in this country, although not with the colourfulness of budgies. The best one is the mass roosting of starlings at dusk, which you've probably seen on television. Hundreds of thousands of them flock together, darkening the sky, before they all swoop down to the ground at the same time as if someone had blown a whistle. A smaller version of this takes place over my house in the winter, and they all roost in some trees about 50 yards away. Their synchronised flying display is wonderful to watch.

>> Do you normally get a lot of goldfinches in your area eric?

About 5 years ago I started putting up niger seed feeders (that's what you see in the picture above on the corner of the shed) and ever since then I've had daily visits of small numbers. But I've never seen anything like the number which turned up yesterday. You can see in the picture that most of them are young ones because they haven't developed their full colouring yet, so it appears that they've been raising a lot of young very late in the year after a rotten summer.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 01:35:53 PM »

>> It must have been such a wonderful sight, think it would be quite exciting for people like me who have never seen them in the wild....I wish they would do a programme on them as you never seem to see much about budgies on television.

Ive just done a search and come across this program -
Wild Budgerigars in Nature .
Theres some good pictures of them flocking at around 6:30 mins onwards into the program.

@ roseway

It appears your patience with the feeders and over the years gradually increasing their confidence has paid off. :)
- also possibly been a good year for the young - wonder if the carp summer this year has increased natural food supply.  In my own garden more rain than usual this year has meant that weeds, bushes scrubs etc have flourished much more than they would in normal summers.
Unfortunately though I havent had my usual "butterfly display" :/
-----
Pages: [1] 2 3