Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: interpret netmeter  (Read 2068 times)

jeffbb

• Kitizen
interpret netmeter
« on: December 06, 2008, 07:34:02 PM »

odd looking graph

first large peak 9.52Mbps                        speed test 3858 Kbps  from speedtest .net
second large peak <3.67 Mbps                     speed test  3672 Kbps   from speedtest .net
third large peak  3.67 Mbps                           speed test  3727 Kbps   from speedtest .net

edit  first test was quicker to complete

The question is how is that first result possible my connection is 5248 Kbps and profile is currently 4000 Kbps.
I take it that it is just an error i display although the speed test is genuine .

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 07:37:30 PM by jeffbb »
zen user

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: interpret netmeter
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 07:52:26 PM »

If the speedtest file is too small, then it can skew the results, and make things appear to come down quicker than what they actually do.
Theres also something else that sometimes happens with 'speedtest files', and thats when your browser starts to 'cache' a part of the file before download is acknowledged, and once youve said 'yes save file to here', it appears to come down very quick for a very short period, but would eventually level off.

When you connect to a decent speedtester its meant to perform a very quick test to get a rough indication of your speed .. and then send you the right file size.
If during the 'setup' test it detected a slower connection for some reason, it could end up sending the wrong size test file ie one thats too small to accurately test.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker